+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger: how to handle multiple enemies

Soulwalker

Default Ranger: how to handle multiple enemies

Hey all. I apologize up front if the information I need is included in a guide somewhere. I've read several at this point.

I've been playing a stormcaller mage and at lvl 47 I enjoy it very much and plan to keep playing her. However, so I have something different to play and not another mage, I've been trying several other classes and the only one I seem to 'connect' with is the ranger (ranger -> bard -> marksman). I'm only at lvl 9 right now, so just a baby ranger.

I seem to be fine if my pet holds aggro and I can kill enemies pretty quickly and I'm picking up combos. The problem comes in if my pet holds the aggro of only one enemy and I'm attacked at melee range by another. My ranger automatically uses her blades, but she doesn't do enough damage to kill the attacker. I try to back up and hit them with a crippling shot to slow them down, but that doesn't always work. So what is a ranger to do when facing multiple enemies? It was super easy with my stormcaller.

I know i'm probably missing something really obvious here, so I apologize in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Edabie View Post
    Hey all. I apologize up front if the information I need is included in a guide somewhere. I've read several at this point.

I've been playing a stormcaller mage and at lvl 47 I enjoy it very much and plan to keep playing her. However, so I have something different to play and not another mage, I've been trying several other classes and the only one I seem to 'connect' with is the ranger (ranger -> bard -> marksman). I'm only at lvl 9 right now, so just a baby ranger.

I seem to be fine if my pet holds aggro and I can kill enemies pretty quickly and I'm picking up combos. The problem comes in if my pet holds the aggro of only one enemy and I'm attacked at melee range by another. My ranger automatically uses her blades, but she doesn't do enough damage to kill the attacker. I try to back up and hit them with a crippling shot to slow them down, but that doesn't always work. So what is a ranger to do when facing multiple enemies? It was super easy with my stormcaller.

I know i'm probably missing something really obvious here, so I apologize in advance.
    To my knowledge there isn't really anything you are missing, ranger just is not good with multiple mobs. I am not sure when you get the ability "Divert Rage" but once you do you can use that ability to help stick mobs to your pet. Honestly i would recommend trying out some melee builds, they are much better at dealing with large pulls IMO.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

You need to control your pet very well as ranger and make sure to train often so that your pet is the same level as you. Ranger can handle multiple mobs but it does best going 1 by 1.

The pet control buttons that you need on your bar are
    • Attack
    • Follow
    Leave your pet on defensive most of the time. If you are fighting multiple mobs, always attack the mob that the pet is on, single target. If a mob does aggro you, target the mob and give your pet the Attack command, then start attacking it. Your pet will pull it off you and you'll be able to kill it.

Make sure to keep your pet healed. Always use the Razorbeast. It has an AOE aggro ability and holds threat much better than your other options.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 12-06-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    You need to control your pet very well as ranger and make sure to train often so that your pet is the same level as you. Ranger can handle multiple mobs but it does best going 1 by 1.

The pet control buttons that you need on your bar are
    • Attack
    • Follow
    Leave your pet on defensive most of the time. If you are fighting multiple mobs, always attack the mob that the pet is on, single target. If a mob does aggro you, target the mob and give your pet the Attack command, then start attacking it. Your pet will pull it off you and you'll be able to kill it.

Make sure to keep your pet healed. Always use the Razorbeast. It has an AOE aggro ability and holds threat much better than your other options.
    This is very very helpful. Thanks.

What happens is that I send my pet (a razorbeast) out to take aggro, and then I stand back and can pretty much take everyone out. The problem comes in when an enemy I didn't see, or for some reason one breaks aggro with the razorbeast, and comes at me. Then it seems I'm pretty much screwed even if I'm drinking healing potions. Perhaps I should have picked a different soul than marksmanship so I do have some melee capabilities?

Rift Chaser

For now 0 sab gives you an aoe type snare and 0 Bladedancer gives you 15 seconds of improved dodge. Also 2 in RS buys an armor buffing finisher and 4 gets you an endurance buff. As you level, if you spend 26 in marksman you can select quose quarters to enable you to fire point blank. Also, much lower on the tree you have repelling shot and static shot for some help in this regard. Alternatively, 8 points in bard, 13 in riftstalker or 14 in assasin give you some minor healing ability.
    I have maiinly played some ranged build to where I am now at 42. However, I have tried many combos of of RS, BD, Brd, Sin, and NB and enjoyed most of them. More roles, more fun. I need to do something with Sab-never really played it with any points spent yet.

Rift Chaser

Points I forgot and type to slow too edit in :-) :
    Don't forget swift shot fires point blank. You usually can hit 5 of those, take a step back and get off a headshot. Also if you get 12 in marksman rapid fire shot is a point blank finisher.
    Last edited by ChelequaRom; 12-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Rift Disciple

Like Chel said, explore bladedancer, riftstalker, and assassin. The best solo specs all involve these souls. And explore low talent point abils, they are very strong and synergize well with anything.

0-4 pt root abils are very good, for instance if you had 2 pts in assassin you could have a melee combo point builder and finisher for when adds get close, if you had 4 into bladedancer you could use twin stikes and cleave multiple mobs (works very well with 14 sin or 13 rs), 0 pt into riftstalker is a blink, 0 into bladedancer is a defensive cooldown, 0 into ranger is a ranged cp builder and finisher, 0 into nb gives you a melee cp and finisher, etc.

If you must have ranged (bc arrows are fun) get 14 assassin or 13 riftstalker and utilize those heals for faster leveling and work into the ranged side.

Sabo isn't that great for anything anymore, I'd especially stay away from it with solo specs.

Soulwalker

Wow, even more great suggestions. I may just reroll my ranger since I'm only lvl 9 and add a melee capable soul. I mean, if she's wielding knives, she might as well be semi proficient at it.

And I didn't realize there were point blank ranged skills, maybe I should read the skill description more closely. (derp!) I really don't like straight melee, I'm just horrible at it. I'd rather stand my distance and control enemies that way. I get freaked out if they get too close, lol. That comes from playing a mage-type character too much.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Wow, even more great suggestions. I may just reroll my ranger since I'm only lvl 9 and add a melee capable soul. I mean, if she's wielding knives, she might as well be semi proficient at it.

And I didn't realize there were point blank ranged skills, maybe I should read the skill description more closely. (derp!) I really don't like straight melee, I'm just horrible at it. I'd rather stand my distance and control enemies that way. I get freaked out if they get too close, lol. That comes from playing a mage-type character too much.
    You can get every soul there is from your class trainer. No need to reroll. You can buy additional roles and change between them any time you're not in combat. I frequently switch between Melee, Tank, and Ranged.

Part of the problem is that you're trying to melee mobs instead of letting your pet do it. If a mob aggros you while your pet is tanking a mob, you can just finish off the mob your pet is tanking and ignore the mob that is beating on you. You'll kill the mob that is on your pet first, then your pet will come and grab the mob that is attacking you, all on its own.

This is very very helpful. Thanks.

What happens is that I send my pet (a razorbeast) out to take aggro, and then I stand back and can pretty much take everyone out. The problem comes in when an enemy I didn't see, or for some reason one breaks aggro with the razorbeast, and comes at me. Then it seems I'm pretty much screwed even if I'm drinking healing potions. Perhaps I should have picked a different soul than marksmanship so I do have some melee capabilities?
    personally i use sabatour with ranger for the control aspects it provides. along with the damage burst. so you really dont need a meele soul with it.
    with a pet soul mainly you need to work on controling your pet and micromanaging a fight. your never lost untill you lose control of the situation.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

+ Reply to Thread