+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By Dunharrow
  • 1 Post By Zaros

Thread: Fixing Ranger

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Fixing Ranger

As I lay awake early this morning, trying to decipher a method of killing the squirrel that had somehow got inside the attic of my apartment and was scratching relentlessly against my ceiling, my mind wandered to that silly, stupid Ranger soul. This soul has so much potential, but instead of being an awesome Rift-themed badass, its kind of a poor clone of the Beast Mastery tree in a game that shall remain nameless. Here are some things that could be changed/fixed/replaced.

Fixing the Ranger Soul

Feral Aggression: Removed. Replace with Beast of the Planes.
    Beast of the Planes: New 51 point root ability. Through mastery of the planes, each of the Ranger's pets is granted new elemental attunement.
    • Everliving Razorbeast: Your Razorbeast is granted attunement to the Plane of Life. All the Razorbeast's attacks now do 100% extra damage as life damage, and the Ranger and his group are healed for 50% of the additional damage. In addition, the Razorbeast may now cast an AOE cleanse once every 15 seconds on the Ranger's group.
    • Bloodfire Raptor: Your Blood Raptor is granted attunement to the Plane of Fire. All of the Raptor's attacks now do 100% of the Rogue's ranged weapon damage as fire damage in a 7 meter radius around the target. In addition, the Raptor's Bloodied Blow now creates a vulnerability that increases the Ranger's damage against affected targets by 3% for 10 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times.
    • Dire Grave Wolf: Your Dire Wolf is granted attunement to the Plane of Death. All of the Wolf's attacks now do 100% extra damage as death damage and inflict Vampiric Bite, which causes all healing received by the target to heal the Wolf and his master for 50% of the healing received. In addition, the Wolf will now automatically stealth whenever it is not in combat and will attack from stealth with the Feral Ambush ability, which deals damage equal to the Rogue's ranged weapon damage and an additional 150% damage bonus from attack power is applied to this attack.
    Diffuse: Removed. Replaced with Awakened Companion.
    Awakened Companion: New 44 point root ability. Reduces the cooldown of Hasten Call to 45 seconds, and pets are now permanently immune to most crowd control effects (excepting necessary boss mechanics). In addition, the Rogue's pet now gains 100% of the Rogue's Attack Power, Crit Rating, and Valor.

Improved Escape Artist: Removed. Replaced with Empathic Bond.
    Empathic Bond: New Tier-6 Branch ability. Whenever your pet gets a critical hit, you regenerate 2 energy immediately.

Piercing Shot: This ability no longer overwrites stronger armor debuffs, but the damage is still dealt.
    Exposure: Renamed to Improved Piercing Shot.
    Improved Piercing Shot: 1-point branch ability (requires Piercing Shot). Increase the armor reduction of Piercing Shot by 60%.

Unchecked Ferocity: New 2-point Branch ability (Tier 6). Increases your pet's critical strike bonus damage by 10/20%.

Improved Quick Shot: renamed to Cruel Barbs.
    Cruel Barbs: 3-point branch ability. Your ranged critical hits now cause the target to bleed for 33/66/100% of your ranged weapon damage over 6 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times.

Honed Instincts: New 46-point root ability. Strengthens the Rogue's natural instincts, granting the bonuses of Predatory, Fleeting, and Feral Instincts at once. In addition, Fleeting Instincts now affects the Rogue's party and raid, and functions while they are in combat.

Summary and Reasoning

These changes are mostly designed to make the Ranger soul more reliant on pet damage, and increase the pet's damage substantially and allow scaling. A few of the changes would increase synergy with the MM soul (like Cruel Barbs) but MM could use a slight damage boost as well.

Beast of the Planes gives the Ranger more of a fit with the Rift universe. You could add a purple rot to the Grave Wolf, have the raptor be engulfed in flames for the Bloodfire Raptor and have a healthy green aura and some twigs/branches growing from the Everliving Razorbeast.

Some things are just to make the Ranger soul make more sense, like removing Improved Quick Shot, which is generally worth less at 3 points than at 2 points.

Diffuse and Feral Aggression are just bad abilities that aren't worth getting and aren't versatile.

Empathic Bond will help solve some energy starvation problems currently present in the ranger tree.

Honed Instincts gives raids another option for movement speed besides the bard, and provides a good bonus to the Ranger as well.

Some of these bonuses might be too strong. Its difficult to tell because of how bad and far behind Ranger is right now. The actual numbers could be tweaked as needed. I'm mostly just posting some concepts.

The goal is to make Ranger an exciting pet class, not just a gimmicky sub-soul for Marksman. I'm not a huge fan of pet classes, but it would be nice to have the option. What say you?
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 12-06-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Plane Walker SolitaireSurrender's Avatar

Nice concept, Dun.

While you might be right about overkilling the buffs because of how awful the soul is on the whole currently, a better alternative might be as others have suggested and redo the soul from scratch rather than try to patch the sunk ship.

For the soul to be more rift like...make it well, rift like. Instead of normalish pets, rift creatures. Instead of gimmicky woodsman tools that have no value...rift skills.

This is ofcourse a gross generalization but I feel the point is sound. This is Rift and not the game that shall not be named.
    _____Reversecowbell | R50 Cleric___Lesscowbell | R80 Mage___Moarcowbell | R50 Rogue_____

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaireSurrender View Post
    Nice concept, Dun.

While you might be right about overkilling the buffs because of how awful the soul is on the whole currently, a better alternative might be as others have suggested and redo the soul from scratch rather than try to patch the sunk ship.

For the soul to be more rift like...make it well, rift like. Instead of normalish pets, rift creatures. Instead of gimmicky woodsman tools that have no value...rift skills.

This is ofcourse a gross generalization but I feel the point is sound. This is Rift and not the game that shall not be named.
    I don't want to scrap their vision because in some ways, the Ranger soul is very good. The bottom of the tree is very well designed, but it tends to fall apart the higher you go. The goal (in my view) is to make those deep talents more powerful.

YES PLEASE

Also fix repelling shot kthxnbai
    ~Quiescent

Ascendant

I really love these ideas. Definitely think boosting the pets is a good way to go for improving deep Ranger builds and the planar theme you got there sounds like a lot of fun.

Like you said the Ranger deep roots abilities are, on the whole, pretty rubbish. I'd also either rework or replace the thoroughly useless 32pt 'Pin Down': A root that breaks on damage... and has a 3 minute cooldown.

I like some of these Ideas, notably Cruel Barbs, however The wolf should be in stealth when it can be from the get go and have an opener, shouldnt have to wait 51 points for that.

Also the deep Root is terrible seeing as it breaks on damage.
    I place a black candle on your chest,
    the path of night is manifest.

Sempresno Level 50 P6 Rogue/Marcosias Level 45 Warrior/Diclonius Level 26 Mage/Sumona Level 23 Cleric - Banished - Dayblind

Ascendant

Would like the pet heal to be percent of pet life healed too, rather than a flat number.

Also, would it be OP to have a 44 or 51 ability make the ranger pet get 100% stat contrib of the owner? Would scale the pet nicely as your gear improves.

Ascendant

Time limit... Re-read what you wrote. Was thinking certain pet would get 100% stat contrib.

IE: boar gets endo and dex/defensive stats (dodge,etc), wolf gets crit rating and dex. Raptor atk power plus dex.

Here's my suggestion. Make trick shot scale up to 8 mobs and increase the pet scaling. Done.

Since the MM shows Trion doesn't want rogues competing for top in ST dps, give us souls that let us compete in aoe. I'd play it if it wa better at aoe and not too far behind in ST.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-06-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

General of Telara

The element concept is clever

Rift Disciple

I can actually say I love these ideas. However Id like to add that they should fix the pet heal to something that is more than a flat amount. It should scale a little better.

cool idea, but i bet it will still be energy starved as **** without controlled fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourtyfour View Post
    cool idea, but i bet it will still be energy starved as **** without controlled fire.
    True dat.

Improved Escape Artist: Removed. Replaced with Empathic Bond.
    Empathic Bond: New Tier-6 Branch ability. Whenever your pet gets a critical hit, you regenerate 2 energy immediately.

+ Reply to Thread