+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Let's talk PVP

Default Let's talk PVP

Alright this thread is a discussion on PVP based, theorycrafting. No number crunching here, just viability in PVP situations, albiet: solo, pocket heals or group/raid based

For a long time, the only PVP build that worked for me, personally:

26 RS / 40 SIN / MM

I would often rotate 0 MM for 0 Inf for 2x anti-CC's with this many points into RS, I never had a problem getting around..in fact I LOVE kiters..HOWEVER! This build lacked sustainable damage. When Patch 1.5 hit and RS got huge buffs(IMO) this build worked even better, much in fact.

Now, lately, I've been sporting:

15 MM / 51 SIN / INF

It takes some getting used to, there is more damage to be had than the previous build, but getting around is obviously much more difficult.

You can pick apart what changes you would have made, and mine has adapted throughout the patches as well. Although, I've played since beta, and although I took an extended break somewhere in the middle, I've used the rogue class for some time. However, this is not the aim for my thread.. I'd like to know what is working for everyone else.

My main aim here is SOLO pvp, 1v1, 1v2 etc, Slip Away is invaluable for facing multiple opponents.

I do have a couple stipulations here: Not a huge fan of heavy MM nor am I a fan WHATSOEVER of NB/RS, in any patch.

Anyhow lets get this going, looking for some new builds to try, tired of seeing cookie-cutters running around, what have you crafted?

Thanks!

Heh, no bites? Everyone satisfied with 51 sin/15 inf? NB/RS? And MM /any?

I'll keep looking for combos ...

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Sin is terrible. I haven't died to one since like P4. So this whole thread is kinda, meh. I think a Sin/NB/RS hybrid could work but I haven't found the magic combo yet.

I really think a major part of the solution to PvP is to simplify the PvP tree and make it passive and only work against players.

Rogues have two PvP specs, Marksman and Nightblade.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Rogues have two PvP specs, Marksman and Nightblade.
    and both lose 100% of the time to equally skilled / geared players of ANY other calling

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Champion

Nah, heavy sin is just a situationa small-man and world pvp spec like it's always been. I liked 40sin/26rs/0rngr a lot too for ganking just about anything that couldn't heal. Porting to and from classes while using hasted time's speed boost to do circle strafes and run throughs is hilarious because some players won't be able to hit you with all the movement. Anything the spec can't kill it can easily run away from too. I'd say it's one of the best or close to it but if you're looking for different specs, maybe you can try some of the ones I have or have wanted to:

33sin/33nb - I liked this spec in 1.4 and it's received nothing but buffs since. Very CD dependent though.
    32sin/18nb/16bd - I made this for killing healers but it didn't do enough burst. It could CD dump the hell out of other offensive classes though.
    32sin/20rs/14bd - Basically blinkblade with sin openers and impale. Never thought it would be good enough to try and no heal debuff though.
    32-36sin/20rs/10-14mm - Like the PvE spec but with all the sin opener talents. Should be like 40sin/26rs but with more burst, better ranged damage, and less escapes. I still want to try it but haven't.

Champion

You're going to have to excuse dun and zy for mailing it in with their responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Sin is terrible. I haven't died to one since like P4. So this whole thread is kinda, meh. I think a Sin/NB/RS hybrid could work but I haven't found the magic combo yet.

I really think a major part of the solution to PvP is to simplify the PvP tree and make it passive and only work against players.
    51 Sin is terrible, agreed. But Sin hybrid is amazing once you get the hang of it. Here's the magic combo you've been looking for:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...xobodzR.V0toRo

Spend the points in Assassin any way you want. Poison Mastery isn't worth it for just leeching poison imo.
    - Kaboomium <The Unnamed> -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    and both lose 100% of the time to equally skilled / geared players of ANY other calling
    I wouldn't say that, but if it gets me new toys...sure.
    ~Quiescent

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Gross overstatement. The only spec I really lose to 1v1 is Dominator, and its not due to the damage, but due to never having enough energy to do any damage. Its maybe the most stupid and frustrating mechanic in any game I've ever played.

Other callings I hold my own against, even if I don't necessarily win every time. Fix dominators and fix PvP, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing needs to be done to rogue, although it certainly has a fair share of problems in PvP at this point.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 12-03-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Say what you will, but as 51 sin 15 Inf, when I wait for my teammates to make a slight dent in someone that enemy is dead.

You may not do the top damage and you can't rush in and own against three players, but that's not how I play the spec.

Simply put, at Rank 5 only, with 51 pts in sin and Inf up the damage tree to 15, I am lethal for my team.

Finding a warfront pug that sticks together so there's support for squishies is a whole other matter! PvE is and always will remain my focus.

I will say though that one on one with even higher geared players I hold my own. I lose those fights, plenty, too. If Slip Away / Veil is up I don't die, just stealth and find great satisfaction in lingering around the person I was fighting, waiting for them to sit to drink, and then Jagged Wound / Foul Play / Impale, bye-bye.

I can go on.

The point is it's FUN. You have to think to stay alive and be effective as a full Sin. And for me, that's worth playing it in wfs.
    Last edited by Jaxxer; 12-03-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    Linkedin
    Crushing noobs in RIFT PvP since 2011

Telaran

False.

tententen

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by iontheable View Post
    Alright this thread is a discussion on PVP based, theorycrafting. No number crunching here, just viability in PVP situations, albiet: solo, pocket heals or group/raid based

For a long time, the only PVP build that worked for me, personally:

26 RS / 40 SIN / MM

I would often rotate 0 MM for 0 Inf for 2x anti-CC's with this many points into RS, I never had a problem getting around..in fact I LOVE kiters..HOWEVER! This build lacked sustainable damage. When Patch 1.5 hit and RS got huge buffs(IMO) this build worked even better, much in fact.

Now, lately, I've been sporting:

15 MM / 51 SIN / INF

It takes some getting used to, there is more damage to be had than the previous build, but getting around is obviously much more difficult.

You can pick apart what changes you would have made, and mine has adapted throughout the patches as well. Although, I've played since beta, and although I took an extended break somewhere in the middle, I've used the rogue class for some time. However, this is not the aim for my thread.. I'd like to know what is working for everyone else.

My main aim here is SOLO pvp, 1v1, 1v2 etc, Slip Away is invaluable for facing multiple opponents.

I do have a couple stipulations here: Not a huge fan of heavy MM nor am I a fan WHATSOEVER of NB/RS, in any patch.

Anyhow lets get this going, looking for some new builds to try, tired of seeing cookie-cutters running around, what have you crafted?

Thanks!
    I really enjoy 51 Sin 15 Inf. I feel naked without a heal debuff. The only problem with the spec is that it is highly situational.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Gross overstatement. The only spec I really lose to 1v1 is Dominator, and its not due to the damage, but due to never having enough energy to do any damage. Its maybe the most stupid and frustrating mechanic in any game I've ever played.

Other callings I hold my own against, even if I don't necessarily win every time. Fix dominators and fix PvP, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing needs to be done to rogue, although it certainly has a fair share of problems in PvP at this point.

Would trade you whatever 'fixes' for Dominator in exchange for fixing Riftstalker. I'd be happy with that.

Lots of interesting feedback indeed!

People who think Sin suck..generally just don't know how to play, its a very viable tree. And 51 sin/15 inf has great damage..have you read the inf tree?

Most recently, I've been rocking 20 RS / 21 Sin / 25 NB.. its like best of all 3 worlds, several plane shifts, healing debuff, perma stealth and great damage. Although, I do miss Slip Away greatly, I'm learning to adapt without using it as much of a crutch.
    Last edited by iontheable; 12-03-2011 at 10:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast