+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: TRION, you're really effing with my head! (Rogue Tanking)

Rift Disciple

Default TRION, you're really effing with my head! (Rogue Tanking)

As a Rogue tank, once you start picking up HK quality weapons it comes down to a choice of HP or DEX for tanking.

With a lot of the drops, if I choose to use 2 DPS weapons and a DPS Bow/Gun I can pick up about 60-65 extra dexterity which comes out to about 3% more chance to deflect and even more dodge then using tanking weapons/bow due to the extra dodge. I lose around 65 endurance from using DPS weapons.

By scaling our deflect around dexterity which we all know, we are forced to stack it with DPS gear. I feel pigeon holed into using dex heavy gear since you're giving us absolutely NO ITEMS that have +deflect on them unlike all other tanks who get +block. Try making that argument to your raid leaders and loot councils too, "Oh that'll be good for me tanking!" --- Response: "Huh? No DPS ROLL on *item*" etc...

You're giving us +40% off guarded steel which is great, most entry level HK tanks will have 65% deflect when that is up on average. If I wanna stack DPS gear I could probably get it to around 70-72%, but seriously -- to close the gap to warriors and clerics I have to use DPS gear? What the eff.

Rift Master

You don't have to stack deflect over HP. They gave rogues an extra tanking stat and you're somehow making it sound like it's mandatory?

And rogue tanks shouldn't be able to take exactly as much damage as cleric/warrior tanks because they've got a lot more mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoph View Post
    You don't have to stack deflect over HP. They gave rogues an extra tanking stat and you're somehow making it sound like it's mandatory?

And rogue tanks shouldn't be able to take exactly as much damage as cleric/warrior tanks because they've got a lot more mobility.
    Mobility isn't that useful during boss fights though. I'd rather have a lot more mitigation.
    Last edited by Cinerus; 11-11-2011 at 03:49 AM.
    - Kaboomium <The Unnamed> -

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoph View Post

And cleric tanks have heals and warrior tanks have their warlord buffs, does that mean they shouldn't be able to tank as rogues because they have more utility?

Quote Originally Posted by farore View Post
    And cleric tanks have heals and warrior tanks have their warlord buffs, does that mean they shouldn't be able to tank as rogues because they have more utility?
    find me one tank in high end raiding that provides rallying command or the other unique buff without gimping his mitigation to below that of a roguetank and i will give you a shiny golden star.

and by that i mean both equal or greater physical + magical mit, oh wait.. not happening.. Stop considering each warrior tank soul to be equal they all have their niche, rogue tank has by far the most effective magic mit + mobility. you just got your phys mit raised to the point where you just dont totaly "Suck" at physical tanking anymore.. you won't ever be best at both, so deal with it.

You're giving us +40% off guarded steel which is great, most entry level HK tanks will have 65% deflect when that is up on average. If I wanna stack DPS gear I could probably get it to around 70-72%, but seriously -- to close the gap to warriors and clerics I have to use DPS gear? What the eff.
    Softcapped warriors are on 75% why are you moaning that you are 3% behind ?
    Last edited by TyrLith; 11-11-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrLith View Post
    sorry missread and timed out "5min", however you chosing to use dps gear to raise block to be equal to a warrior tank is your choice, im pretty sure rogues are comparable without that 10% deflect..
    Last edited by TyrLith; 11-11-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sinical Healer View Post
    -snip-
    If I'm not mistaken, it's +20% deflect from the Improved Guarded Steel. +40% deflect would be pretty broken. We traded a small +% to armor from the Improved Guarded Steel buff for a higher chance to deflect though. According to Muffintop, it's a pretty minor nerf to armor.

The guy misread the changes. It improves threat by 40% and deflect chance by 20%

Don't worry, Tyrlith. Warriors are still going to be special.
    Officer of Ginnunga.

Since deflect came out,

for slots without toughness/hit,

my P8 gear provides more avoidance, more armor (this is wtf), and comparable endurance.

No, I don't know why they scaled it off of dex either.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Plane Walker

The problem is not having deflect based on dex. Block is based on str, but there is no issue for warriors or clerics. The issue is itemization. The big annoying part is rogue tank gear slits stats between str and dex, while warriors have str. Almost all of my warriors gear is str, end and then block, dodge or parry. My rogue gear is str, dex, end and then dodge, or parry. My warrior gets more str than my rogue gets dex. So my warrior block without block gear is still higher than my rogue deflect, and my rogue is in much better gear

Quote Originally Posted by Deathmaster35 View Post
    The problem is not having deflect based on dex. Block is based on str, but there is no issue for warriors or clerics. The issue is itemization. The big annoying part is rogue tank gear slits stats between str and dex, while warriors have str. Almost all of my warriors gear is str, end and then block, dodge or parry. My rogue gear is str, dex, end and then dodge, or parry. My warrior gets more str than my rogue gets dex. So my warrior block without block gear is still higher than my rogue deflect, and my rogue is in much better gear
    ^this is why I was confused when they based it off dex, but the change to guarded steel is a good step.

You better believe I'll test all this crap on Murd after the next reset
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Plane Touched

Honestly I'm of the mind, I'd rather they scale Parry better for us, and add a pinch more endurance for us. I dont' mind taking a bit more physical damage.

^^ This. Every other tank has to balance two stats. Rogues should be the same. The issue is gear itemization. All other tanks get tons of block off items.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TyrLith View Post
    Guess I need to moan harder cause I misread changes, I'll be 25-30% behind warriors with my deflect compared to their block. Not to mention they'll have 16k HP in 1.6.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
    ^^ This. Every other tank has to balance two stats. Rogues should be the same. The issue is gear itemization. All other tanks get tons of block off items.
    It would be nice of they redid rogue tank items to convert half the str on each to dex (or all the str to dex) some items are so messed up they have more str than dex.

I doubt they will redo old items, but we can hope they start making some new items following a better stat distro kinda like with some of the plate dps gear that was made in DH that has more dex than str

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast