+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is Ranger Important for MM?

Rift Disciple

Default Is Ranger Important for MM?

I've noticed that almost all MM builds that are posted include Ranger.
    I just made a 51 MM/10 Ranger as a second role.

I was surprised to find that my razorbeast was only level 30 and my wolf was only 34.

I compared Ranger to NB. Both have decent bonuses. I didn't find anything on Ranger that was especially great.

I'm sure that I am missing something.

Is there anything about Ranger that is especially great?

Also, is Ranger good as a main soul?

Thanks

Rift Disciple

Well Shadow Fire (14 points in Ranger) Increase your dmg, coupled with the greater Predatory Soulstone (adds 100AP) its a great dmg boost, then going Piercing shot and maxing it out, is the best armor debuff in the game. So ya.... its useful.

Ranger as a main soul? In a nutshell no. Its a horrible tree that needs a lot of work.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrazerMcK View Post
    Well Shadow Fire (14 points in Ranger) Increase your dmg, coupled with the greater Predatory Soulstone (adds 100AP) its a great dmg boost, then going Piercing shot and maxing it out, is the best armor debuff in the game. So ya.... its useful.

Ranger as a main soul? In a nutshell no. Its a horrible tree that needs a lot of work.
    And just like the rest of the people here you say ranger sucks without ever trying out a good build in a raid, seeing how it fares. You all went to the dummies, and said "Ranger sucks! MM is awesome!".
    Last edited by Mandarb; 11-10-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarb View Post
    And just like the rest of the people here you say ranger sucks without ever trying out a good build in a raid, seeing how it fares. You all went to the dummies, and said "Ranger sucks! MM is awesome!".
    If it can't beat something on the dummies, why would it beat anything in a raid setting?

It scales poorly, the little synergy it has with other souls can be beaten by pretty much anything else, it has very little utility and the pets are poorly designed.

It seems like Trion tried to make the beastmaster of WoW, but failed miserably. Or succeeded if they wanted the BM of vanilla.

Rift Master

You're of course right. All bosses in any instance or raid have the same armor and resistances than the dummies. If it sucks on the dummies, it sucks in any instance on any boss.

;)

You're of course right. All bosses in any instance or raid have the same armor and resistances than the dummies. If it sucks on the dummies, it sucks in any instance on any boss.

;)
    If it doesn't scale and has bad synergy, then it doesn't scale and has bad synergy on any boss.
    - Kaboomium <The Unnamed> -

Rift Master

Oh, yes, you're right. There's no synergy at all. No matter what soul you pair ranger up with, none of the ranger skills profits from any other soul.

Oh, yes, you're right. There's no synergy at all. No matter what soul you pair ranger up with, none of the ranger skills profits from any other soul.
    You could accept that ranger lacks equipment scaling and doesn't offer anything useful compared to MM right now.
    Pets are crap since the autoattack "fix" and with the change to SO became even more useless.

The pet makes the soul even less attractive for certain encounters and having a pet brings nearly no bonus to your raid except pushing HPS for icars.

Ranger has got no real extra contribution from attackpower (MM f.e. gets 70% on all skills) which let the soul suffer in a raid environment.
    Last edited by Augureze; 11-10-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: edited for language

going more than 34 points is a dps loss. most specs that go into ranger dont go more than 28 because the 38 points in mm is far more beneficial. in general ranger does scale extremely poorly due to pets being pretty terrible.
    Last edited by Augureze; 11-10-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: edited for language
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

Ranger is a good leveling soul and I use it for solo questing still. But in a raid/dungeon I'm either MM or Bard.

There's a thread in the Rogue DPS Bible 1.5 with a 34Rng/17sin/15mm build that is competitive in DPS to MM, but I'd rather stick with MM and its multiple finishers.

too much misinformation in this thread, and 51mm/15rng gets nerfed very heavily come 1.6 so it really doesnt matter, tho even after the nerfs only 2 builds were parsing higher than the nerfed mm so yea, mm will still be top on many fights due to 35m range and the top mm build is 51mm/15rng with ranger greater and NOT using piercing shot as that is a huge dps loss, headshot is king.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Default what would you pair with MM other than ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    too much misinformation in this thread, and 51mm/15rng gets nerfed very heavily come 1.6 so it really doesnt matter, tho even after the nerfs only 2 builds were parsing higher than the nerfed mm so yea, mm will still be top on many fights due to 35m range and the top mm build is 51mm/15rng with ranger greater and NOT using piercing shot as that is a huge dps loss, headshot is king.
    Just wondering, but if one did not want to take ranger at all, what other soul would you pair up with MM then? I have thought about 'sin but, wondering what else folks have tried and like (if anything?).

Right now I run 38MM/28Rgr as my ranged spec. I am mainly looking for another MM heavy spec that does not get/use the ranger pet/etc.

I used to play MM/NB (mainly for the combo+finisher bonuses in nb), but wasn't too happy with that after playing it for a while. Is MM/Sin the way to go in this case? And is 51/15 *it*, or would something like 45MM/21Sin, or even 38MM/28Sin be viable?

To the OP - if you really REALLY like pets, and are looking for a solo/grinding build, I find Ranger/Sin/MM works OK, and in the past found ranger/bard was a workable leveling spec. But for dungeon/expert/raid dps build, MM primary is about as good as we can do for a ranged build in general.

If you still really want a pet I'd suggest trying the 38MM/28Rgr build with the greater dire wolf pet. I have been having a lot of fun with that spec personally.

Rift Master

How about you come up with that AP contribution numbers on both MM and Ranger!"

I'm finding I'm doing quite fine without your OP 38point passive. Also, all sub 51 point MMs suck
    Last edited by Augureze; 11-10-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Edited for language

Rift Disciple

How about you come up with that AP contribution numbers on both MM and Ranger!"

I'm finding I'm doing quite fine without your OP 38point passive. Also, all sub 51 point MMs suck
    Would you post parses of what "doing quite fine" looks like? I'm in a guild full of people that have been playing longer than me and that feel that their 500 dps is "doing quite fine" despite the fact that I and a couple others are doing double that or more and telling them they aren't fine.

Numbers talk and BS walks. You like ranger? That's cool, show me that it's better than my marksman and I will hear you out.
    Last edited by Augureze; 11-10-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote as it was previously edited

Sword of Telara

You only need the level 34 wolf, because all you do with it is stick it at the entrance of this instance and use it as an aggro-dump (otherwise you WILL pull aggro if you blow your CDs first thing in the fight if the tank isn't rigorously taunting).

I guarantee you won't pull off the tank using deep Ranger.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast