+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Riftstalker Tanking Macros

Soulwalker

Default Riftstalker Tanking Macros

I just wanted to post some macros I think has helped me tank tremendously. I am by no means a raid tank, I just stick with T2's mainly or raid rifts at best. These macro just simplify my job of keeping aggro and allow me to have mobility and on the fly response that is expected from any tank. I am a 51 RS/10 BD/5 Brd

Macro # 1 (Teleport Macro)
    #show Shadow Assault
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadow Assault
    cast Shadow Blitz
    cast Shadow Stalk
    (Great for knockbacks, pulling, and maintaining aggro)

Macro #2 (Single Target Taunt)
    #show Instigate
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Instigate
    cast Motif of Bravery
    (For those tanks with points in bard for HP, helps with casting a somwhat useful buff for the group that I always seem to forget to cast. Just a quick double click)

Macro #3 (Aoe Taunt)
    #show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Planar Attraction
    (Nice to keep both aoes coupled together, just double click for emergencies.)

Macro #4 (Standard Builder)
    #show Phantom Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Planar Strike
    (A nice button masher.)

Macro #5 (Defensive Cooldowns part 1)
    #show Side Steps
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Physical Wellness
    cast Planar Refuge
    cast Side Steps
    (Real easy triple click for those large groups of mobs!)

Macro #5 (Defensive Cooldowns part 2)
    #show Scatter the shadows
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Defer Death
    cast Scatter the shadows
    ( I Put defer death in here because from my experience in pick up groups you have no idea how attentive your healer will be. Cant hurt!)

So there you go, I put all my cooldowns on a side bar to see when each one comes up. If anyone has feedback or anyhing that could enhance what I have or even blow it away it would be more then welcomed!

Soulwalker

Just a bit of constructive criticism here.

For Macro 1, I personally don't like grouping up my teleports together since they all kind of serve a different purpose. Shadow Assault and Shadow Blitz both give you 2 combo points for when you need them in a hurry. One of which has a nice burst of AoE damage up front that's good for pulling packs. Shadow Stalk is your only teleport ability that can break you out of CC, so I would definitely want that one to have its own keybind.

For macro 2, what does Motif of Bravery have to do with taunting?....And if you say it's because you forget to cast it to buff, why would you tie it into a taunt key? You don't use taunt every time it's off cooldown.

For Macro 3, Rift Disturbance and Planar Attraction are not both AoE Taunts. I'd hate to think of a Riftstalker hitting a macro like that when someone in the group has pulled a few adds and he wastes a second doing Rift Disturbance first before Planar Attraction. Also, Rift Disturbance is nice to use for its debuff, and Planar Attraction is good to use simply for grouping all the mobs up sometimes, so i still like to have these on their own keybinds.

For Macro 5, I really don't recommend grouping up multiple cooldowns on 1 key. They do different things. For example, what good is Side Steps against an enemy that casts spells at you?

For Macro 6, I have the same reason as Macro 5. Different cooldowns for different situations. Also, even if that macro was a good idea, you have Defer Death being cast before Scatter the Shadows. If you click it once, you just gave yourself a shield for half of your max hp IF you get a killing blow scored on you in the next 30 seconds...Defer Death should be your absolute last resort. Not Scatter the Shadows which is honestly the cooldown I use whenever I only need a few seconds of immunity to give my healers a second to throw me a big heal or if I need to avoid something really bad.

I really don't find the Riftstalker to be a very macro friendly spec, imo. The only macro I use is having Planar Strike and Phantom Blow in a macro. Everything else is just situational in my opinion.
    Last edited by Kuj0; 11-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Ascendant

I would not use a single one of those macros. Kuj0 more or less explained why.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    I would not use a single one of those macros. Kuj0 more or less explained why.
    Slapped all the way back to square one! I am new to Rogue tanking, thought it was working good. I like the way Kuj0 explained things. Definetly will be switching things around again.
    Thanks for being informational Kuj0 and not just slapping me around just for the fun of it with no explanation.

Ascendant

I told a lie! Macro #4 is one that I do use... sort of. Here are the only two macros I ever use.

Single-spam
    #show Planar Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Planar Strike
    cast Quick Shot
    cast Planar Switch

AoE spam
    #show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Planar Switch

Everything else gets its own button, my finishers all have reprisal and Planar Switch macro'd into them though. The different shifts are used for different things, the different cooldowns work better/worse for different damage.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Telaran

I told a lie! Macro #4 is one that I do use... sort of. Here are the only two macros I ever use.

Single-spam
    #show Planar Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Planar Strike
    cast Quick Shot
    cast Planar Switch

AoE spam
    #show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Planar Switch

Everything else gets its own button, my finishers all have reprisal and Planar Switch macro'd into them though. The different shifts are used for different things, the different cooldowns work better/worse for different damage.
    Just as a note I always put my off GCD abilities at the end of my macros to ensure that they only fire off the GCD and don't interrupt anything else I have going on at the time.

Soulwalker

Single-spam
    #show Planar Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Planar Strike
    cast Quick Shot
    cast Planar Switch

AoE spam
    #show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Planar Switch

The first macro is actually a good one. It's got combo builders for if you're in melee or range. I might put Quick Shot into my PB/PS macro myself instead of having it on its own key. Hadn't thought of that.

The second macro I think is just unnecessary. Twin Strike is just useless in my opinion. Yeah, it hits up to 4 enemies, but the damage has no threat augmentation, making it just a waste of energy. The threat from the damage alone is too pitiful to be worth it. Its only saving grace is the combo point it gives, but I don't think that's enough. For combo point building purposes, you're better off using your PB/PS macro.

Aside from Shadow Blitz and Rift Disturbance (and even these are nowhere near as necessary as they once used to be), the only AoE threat you need, you'll get MORE than enough of from Planar Vortex. Use a Shadow Blitz and let 8 seconds of Planar Vortex spam count down, and then incorporate a Shadow Assault into your next combo and get another 8 seconds of some of the most OP AoE Threat spam Trion has ever created. Want more? Use any of the other 4 teleports you have every 8 seconds, so long as you might not need them for other purposes. Planar Vortex is all you'll ever need, and some front loaded Shadow Blitz threat to add to it when appropriate. Planar Vortex also has no cap on how many enemies it can hit. Planar Vortex is also your only AoE threat that has no cap on how many enemies it can hit.
    Last edited by Kuj0; 11-08-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Slapped all the way back to square one! I am new to Rogue tanking, thought it was working good. I like the way Kuj0 explained things. Definetly will be switching things around again.
    Thanks for being informational Kuj0 and not just slapping me around just for the fun of it with no explanation.
    good to see you are listening to other people, a LOT of ppl dont, and try to mindlessly defend useless macros, other than that not much else to say about the macros than already been said by other ppl, however i would suggest you might consider tweaking your build at least, anymore than 8 BD dont realy give you anything usefull beside a few hit (whihc shouldn't be that hard to get from gear anyway, 51RS is pretty much a must ave as you correnctly done and with 8 in BD (taking quick reflexes, reprisal and strike back) the 7 last point imo is best spend in ranger for 5% HP and 4% flat dmg mitigation at all time (both magical and physical from 2/3 bolster) as well as ranged pulling options (starting with splinter shot -> planar switch -> quick shot -> rift guard, and you ahve a 4pt rift guard up before mbos even hit you, GREAT for boss pulls) and the armor anthem is sometimes covered by antoher bard in group anyway and pretty much always will be in a raid.
    But as I said your build is not delibratly bad, but you can get a little more efficiency pumped out as well in your build
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansanity View Post
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

Only macro i have is.

Reprisal, Phantom Blow, Planar Blade, Quick Shot, Planar Switch.
    Phanta - Rogue - Nisroc - Riptalon
    T1 Raids Cleared - 7/11 HK

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear View Post
    good to see you are listening to other people, a LOT of ppl dont, and try to mindlessly defend useless macros, other than that not much else to say about the macros than already been said by other ppl, however i would suggest you might consider tweaking your build at least, anymore than 8 BD dont realy give you anything usefull beside a few hit (whihc shouldn't be that hard to get from gear anyway, 51RS is pretty much a must ave as you correnctly done and with 8 in BD (taking quick reflexes, reprisal and strike back) the 7 last point imo is best spend in ranger for 5% HP and 4% flat dmg mitigation at all time (both magical and physical from 2/3 bolster) as well as ranged pulling options (starting with splinter shot -> planar switch -> quick shot -> rift guard, and you ahve a 4pt rift guard up before mbos even hit you, GREAT for boss pulls) and the armor anthem is sometimes covered by antoher bard in group anyway and pretty much always will be in a raid.
    But as I said your build is not delibratly bad, but you can get a little more efficiency pumped out as well in your build
    Actually, I'm using two tanking builds, 51RS/8Rng/7Brd, and 41RS/17BD/8Rng for physical damage heavy fights. You lose 5% mitigation from the shield but can gain 10% from Turn the Tide. In HK, it tends to be up 80% of a single target fight. If you hit more than 1 mob, it's usually up 100%.

"Seconded!" on Paikis's first macro - Quick shot in there is just awesome.

A general note on macros that I have found to be useful while tanking-

You can target mobs by their target number. As in:

Code:
    /targetmark 1
    This will target the mob with the big 1 over it's head. I made macros for every number and bound them to my F1 to F8 keys. Useful for example on the add phases before the Eliam fight in xRD.
    veni, vidi, risi.

Some tweaks and those macros aren't so bad I use the following below if you want more ideas from other playstyles..

On sequence you will find somewhat useful in T2s when the cleric is out of range:

Memory capture > below macro 3x > recall

#show Shadow Stalk
    target <healer>
    cast Shadow Stalk
    cast Planar Attraction
    cast Rift Disturbance

Apart from that yes reprisal at the end of the macro if you use it (Personally I don't)

Single target something like

Shadow assault > Phantom Blow > Planar Strike > Rerisal > Shadow Blitz > Shadow Stalk

Reason for shadow blitz & stalk in thier is because if you are out of range and shadow assault is on cd then it will move you up and that is the ONLY reason, if you are part ranger you can stick a bow attack instead.

For aoe this is somewhat a bone of contention some people because Twin Strike has no extra threat component do not use it, however you do have much more threat with just Twin Strike than your average joe dps if you have your buffs up and you use + a threat greater essence.

For this reason there my aoe macro is only used once in range of the target >

#show Rift Disturbance
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Shadow Blitz
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Reprisal
    cast Shadow Assault
    cast Shadow Stalk

Then I have a bar set up simply (This is my playstyle)

Instigate / Single Target Macro / AE Macro / << Finishers >> << interupts >>

All of the CDs are seperated this allows me to use the right one for the job, sometimes Defer Death won't do what scatter the shadows does and vice versa for example and sometimes Planar Refuge will suffice.

my "spam" macro is

#show planar strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast rift disturbance
    cast phantom blow
    cast planar strike

then the only other true "macro" i use is for interupts

#show planar disruption
    suppressmacrofailures
    ra Interupting %t!!
    cast planar disruption
    cast weapon barrage

beyond that, i have a macro for each cooldown, but the only thing in it is the use of the cooldown, and a raid message to tell the group what i'm using so my healers know what to expect when i start popping cooldowns mid raid.

every other ability i use is not macroed in any way.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

AoE spam
    #show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Planar Switch

I would add a Phantom Blow to this rotation:

#show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Planar Switch

This way you wont lose your defences while AoEing.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1150061&dateline=1300  793703

Place reprisal as the last mellee attack in your macros or it is a threat reduction on single target.

On AE it doesn't matter as much but reprisal isn't effected by GCD so during your GCD you hit an attack if reprisal is up which it more often or not is then it goes off, this means you aren't wasting as much time as else you would be.

Press 1: Planar strike *dodges something*
    Press 2: Global cooldown active can't use any normal attacks Reprisal goes off
    Press 3: Phantom blow

In other words it is spam worthy, warriors have one for block too that is placed at the same point.

#show Planar Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadow Assault
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Planar strike
    cast Reprisal
    cast Shadow Blitz
    cast Shadow Stalk

more dps verion: (no planar strike)

#show Planar Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadow Assault
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Keen Strike
    cast Reprisal
    cast Shadow Blitz
    cast Shadow Stalk
    Last edited by SiliconShadow; 11-08-2011 at 11:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast