+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: level 50 pvp

Soulwalker

Default level 50 pvp

So ill be hitting 50 in a couple of days and ill be looking for a good starting pvp build. Right now I'm mainly using assassin / marks / inf as I move up in the 40s bracket. Works out well but from what I gather reading here is I should go nightblade hybrid type build.

When I Google pvp specs I mainly get specs that are recommended rank 5 or higher. Anyone able to link me a good build and able to suggest macros to start off with? Most of what I find on the boards in the bit of searching that I've done has net me links of 5 or so people arguing over their builds being better than the other persons build. Thanks in advance.

Soulwalker

most people here will recommend you using a Marksman spec from Rank 1-4, simply because you are very outgeared in PvP and the range+utility will keep you safe for at least a few seconds before some R8 teleports/locks on to you and kills you in 3-4 seconds.

Alternative to Marksman at low ranks would be one of the NB/RS builds, using defensive cooldowns to prolong your imminent doom.
    Last edited by Xavory; 11-04-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavory View Post
    most people here will recommend you using a Marksman spec from Rank 1-4, simply because you are very outgeared in PvP and the range+utility will keep you safe for at least a few seconds before some R8 teleports/locks on to you and kills you in 3-4 seconds.

Alternative to Marksman at low ranks would be one of the NB/RS builds, using defensive cooldowns to prolong your imminent doom.
    I'm new to the game, enjoy PvP, and have leveled a rogue to 48. Your assessment of level 50 PvP depresses me and makes me want to abandon Rift as failed experiment and move on to SWTOR.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Drusia View Post
    I'm new to the game, enjoy PvP, and have leveled a rogue to 48. Your assessment of level 50 PvP depresses me and makes me want to abandon Rift as failed experiment and move on to SWTOR.
    He's stating a fact. PVP sucks at 50 until you get geared.

Soulwalker

Unfortunately I think my assessment is pretty spot on, because Rift throws brand new 50s into warfronts with R8s. Pretty much every "sensible" rogue on this forum will tell you that splitting up the brackets would be a huge boost for Rift's pvp.

Like any MMO, there are also a sect of players out there that play specifically to fight people far less geared than themselves ,and they will tell you its fine, they had to deal with getting ganked by R8s, so you should too. The problem is, the longer the game goes on, the more R6-R8s there are, and the harder it gets for new players to integrate into the pvp scene.

Your options are pretty simple: grind it out till R6 or so, or do something else.
    Last edited by Xavory; 11-04-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Default ...

Every MMORPG requires levels + gear + experience to do well in Dungeons & PVP.

Don't want to put in the time to get the 3 ingredients, then play FPS.

Not sure why you would think you can just start and be equal to those that have played 1600 hours?
    Rogue: 0/0 HK or any other PVE content. Over 120+ days /played in PVP content exclusively as an Assassin. (yes, 2800 hours)
    Yes, I know MM and NB rule. No, I don't want to switch to a MM. Yes, I know they are the best. No, again, I'd rather improve Assassins.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post

Not sure why you would think you can just start and be equal to those that have played 1600 hours?
    New players in WoW start off in the 1500 bracket. In Rift terms, a brand new player would have to play VS 3000 rated Blizzcon pros. So no, not every MMO is like that. PvE is progression based, pvp shouldn't be, or at least not as drastic as it is in Rift. Like I said in my last post, there are people who want good competition, and there are people who just wana gank lowbies.

He doesn't want to be equal to guys that have played 1600 hours, he wants to fight people close to his gear/experience level. Not sure why you would want to 2 shot a 4k hp R2 after playing for 1600 hours.
    Last edited by Xavory; 11-04-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Drusia View Post
    "I don't like hamburgers so i will stop going to McDonald's and take my business to Burger King instead"

1. Do pvp dailys and pvprifts as often as possible to get prestige and favor in a less hostile situation

2. Do port scion until you get full r2 gear. This took me 2ish hours worth of straight port scions but I also bought the 90% mount and the pvp trink.there are lots of ways to contribute, the zerg is largest and more anonymous, and there are tons of ways to avoid it. PS is one of the best place to bard as well, and bard/rs is definitely the most friendly role for a new 50 in pvp from what I've seen.

I'm r4 after starting in t2 dungeon gear last weekend, and it really isn't bad if you just prioritize survival and go into it knowing that you will die if focused.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by threash View Post
    "I don't like hamburgers so i will stop going to McDonald's and take my business to Burger King instead"
    More like " I don't like McDonald's hamburgers so I will try the hamburgers at Burger King".

Rift Disciple

As a rogue that only recently started pvping at 50, I can say that it can be really rough. If you have the misfortune to get into a warfront against a premade R6+ group, and it does happen a lot, just plan on being dead a lot and not killing anyone.

However, I find that pvping in warfronts is fine in off-peak times. At these times, I usually find myself up against players similar to myself (rank 2, almost 3). This makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

On the weekends where a particular warfront has a bonus you can do one of two things; 1) Join the warfront and stay with the pack for protection or 2) sign up for every warfront except the one with the bonus to try and get matched up with others that want a cleaner game away from the high geared point farmers.

Otherwise, do the non-flagged pvp quests every day without fail. In fact, I recommend doing these at least until rank 2 if for no other reason than showing up in less than a full set of rank 2 pvp leathers is not helpful to yourself or your team. Besides, even if you only want to pvp part-time, getting Unseen rep is important to your PvE play and gearing for the boot rune and, lets face it, the pvp trinket is hot sauce compared to most of what we can find as a defiant anyway. (Wish I could turn into a skeleton like a guardian )

I have had varied success with either a MM or NB/RS build. I usually go with the NB/RS and do FAR more damage with it. But, when that spec isn't working because the opponents are highly geared it doesn't work AT ALL so I swap over to MM and put my PvE raid gear back on. Then I just hit and run or hit and die. I also become a eradicate spam machine, which at least helps the team. This can be comical though if I get a NB/RS in my sites that has hit his 6 sec immunity and I can still hit him with my 300 hit. lol

When the NB/RS spec is working against similar geared or under geared opponents...well...I can see what all the crying is about, because it's nasty. However, I don't feel OP. Just this morning I went 1 vs. 1 with a warrior using a polearm three times and couldn't beat him no matter what I did. (No idea what rank he was, but usually I can hold my own against wars)

Lastly, you should have a full epic source machine and 10m quality raid weapons or better to get going imho.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumdiddly View Post
    1. Do pvp dailys and pvprifts as often as possible to get prestige and favor in a less hostile situation

2. Do port scion until you get full r2 gear. This took me 2ish hours worth of straight port scions but I also bought the 90% mount and the pvp trink.there are lots of ways to contribute, the zerg is largest and more anonymous, and there are tons of ways to avoid it. PS is one of the best place to bard as well, and bard/rs is definitely the most friendly role for a new 50 in pvp from what I've seen.

I'm r4 after starting in t2 dungeon gear last weekend, and it really isn't bad if you just prioritize survival and go into it knowing that you will die if focused.
    I was considering a bard spec since I would be like a guy with a hand gun trying to shoot at a tank starting off. Any particular spec folks use for pvp bard?

Soulwalker

Realistically, I'm probably making it sound worse than it really is. If you grind WFs and use the pots on bonus weekend, you should be able to hit R5 in 2-3 weeks. Once there, your WF experience will be much better. With R5 gear and GSB/RoS weapons and the right spec, I can kill a R8 player, they can just kill me much faster. The problem is really R1-4 VS R8 premades. If you enjoy rift just grind it out.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post

Most MMORPGs (not every) require you to have levels, gear, and experience appropriate for the content at hand. The fact that PVP is a blast in this game from 10-49 speaks volumes about how utterly borked it is at 50. If you honestly think it should take someone 1600 hours to have fun, you have zero idea what a video game is, even an MMORPG.

The grind is not so bad nowadays, you get potions for favor and prestige and bonus weekends. I remember when each kill was worth so little and there was only just the LONG grind. When I started a warrior after all the new stuff it took me 1 week to hit R5. Best advice, don't take it personally when you get killed, adapt. If you are surviving against enemies tht obviously out gear you even for a good amount of time just think, you will become a beast once you get your gear. I know it sounds really rough and when you face off against premades it is but tough it out and get your gear. Oh! make sure to get a full set of pvp gear the valor sets are equal valor mitigation only after you gain Unseen rep will you get it higher through source machine essense and even then its not much more. Also understand that the game has been geared towards team play, running off on your own will only get you run over time and time again. Good luck guys and gals!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast