+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Talaren

Thread: When can a Rogue tank random 5 man dungeons?

Telaran

Default When can a Rogue tank random 5 man dungeons?

I am new to Rift and trying to find the tank that fits me. I love tanking 5 mans. I took a Paladin to 22 but the inability to grab AoE threat made me crazy. I have a Warrior to level 20 and it is hella fun to tank with.

But I have never even HEARD of a Rouge tank in an MMO, so it has me very interested.

If I go pure Riftstalker, will I be able to tank Realm of the Fae / Iron Tombs? Or do Rogues need to be a little higher level before they can tank randoms?

Thanks for any advice.

First off... I am not an expert on Warriors, but... Grab Reaver and put points in that for your Warrior Paladin tank. They can AoE Taunt.

For the Riftstalker, put extra points into HP boost talent for Bard or into Bladedancer for added dodge.

You should be able to tank just fine at the lower levels with Riftstalker, just keep it maxxed.
    "Yeah, I'm on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen!"

Banned

You pretty much aren't even a tank as a rogue until you get guardian phase, so that would make level 18 the bar minimum. Not sure if t would work that well at that level, but make you you keep rift guard up always and give itr a try. It's not like it takes very long to get to level 18 in this game.

Telaran

Default Thanks

Great - thanks!

Correct. I was assuming if you were 22 Paladin and making a new Rogue and wanted to tank as a Rogue, you'd be starting around the same level so you could get Guardian Phase.
    "Yeah, I'm on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen!"

18 is just fine to start. If you like Riftstalker, more power to you. I do. But Warrior, right "now", is the better Tank. Riftstalker is a long, tough road. Warrior will always have more options, and may always remain the best tank. So it's a tough call.

But if you stay Riftstalker, 18-50 is fine for tanking.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    Mirage of Faeblight

Rift Disciple

as others have said as long as you are 18 you should be fine, though keep in mind that you are quite squishy at the start of a fight (untill you get rift guard and guarded steel (and later false blade from BD as well) up), and not all healers may know that at the lowest lvl's and be prepared for an early healing burst needed, so dont be shy to use a cooldown at the start of a fight. On the other hand if you want to tank experts and raids later as rogue, it is best to start already at lowlvl, starting your first tanking run in an expert will almost be ensured to fail as rogue tanking is not really the easiest form of tanking, but very fun once you get the hang of it imo.

and at lowlvl's i suggest putting your extra points in bard and ranger (since you wont really have enough dodge with or without BD for it to really do much) mostly for the extra HP buffer at that lvl as well as the armor anthem in bard is nice, and once you get higher lvl respec to either BD/ranger or BD/bard and ALWAYS keep riftstalker tree maxed, and get riftguard and improved rift guard as soon as you can, rift guard is your main mitigation starting at absorbing 15% dmg, and adding more per point you spend in rs and add up to a total of 35% at lvl 50 with 51pt in rs

and yeah keep those buffs up, rift guard, guarded steel, and later once you get 10pt in BD (wont be before one of the last lvl's though) false blade in that order of importance
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansanity View Post
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

I am only level 46 but I have been tanking every single instance since Realm of the Fae on up without a problem.

I did take some time to review forums posts and other resources to ensure I had some idea how to tank as a Riftstalker. Also, I tend to wait until I am at the upper portion of the level range for an instance before I queue as a tank.

It has been a lot of fun so far.

Man wait till you get to end game content. thats where you have the most fun and the most difficulty.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

Plane Touched

Riftstalker mechanics are changing pretty significantly shortly, where it is less of challenge to get your buffs up initially.

Most Riftstalkers disagree with me, but I put up Guarded Steel up before Rift Guard, as when I apply GS, I phase shift again to get a 2pt combo for RG. You're talking a straight 20% mitigation swing from Rift Barrier (in the current state) to the max 35% from Rift Guard, but I find having a 2pt GS -> Phase Shift -> RG works best for me, because I can fit it in there pretty quickly no problem.

As you close in on 50 you can macro Scatter the Shadows into your macros to give you a little time to get them up. Just remember 1combo point in Rift Guard gives you the same mitigation as 5cp (just less total damage absorbed before it expires.).

Once the new changes take place you won't need to worry about it too much because Phase Shifting will pop Rift Guard, and Guarded Steel will keep it up for you.

I'd start cranking out dailies for Icewatch, Dragon Slayer, and Mathosian, will take 30 min max and start saving some money to get the 4-5 pieces of your craftable set, they are very good.

End + Hit is what stats you should start stacking first, though Hit isn't till closer to 50/ at 50. Toughness will be on those craftable pieces I had mentioned earlier.

Macros for single target

#show planar strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast scatter the shadows
    cast reprisal
    cast rift disturbance
    cast phantom blow
    cast planar strike

Macros for AoE

#show twin strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast scatter the shadows
    cast reprisal
    cast rift disturbance
    cast phantom blow
    cast twin strike

Macros for Phase Shifting

#show shadow warp
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast shadow assault
    cast shadow blitz
    cast shadow stalk

I also recommend you bind Shadow Warp to your middle mouse button so you can utilize to move out of things you need to get out of, etc. Makes it easily available. Also, in fights you want to 'save' Shadow Stalk to get out of stun-like effects you can easily middle mouse for Shadow Warp on your current spot to maintain the +15% crit + Planar Vortex so you can save Shadow Stalk when you're anticipating needing it.

If you have Mouse 4 and 5 I also recommend you set Memory Capture + Memory Recall so you can easily position for pulls etc.

Once the latest changes come out I'd take out Scatter the Shadows so you can utilize it as a cooldown as opposed to an opener.

Beginning steps to get raid ready/T2 ready:

#1 Get your source engine
    #2 Farm invasions for inscribes/planarite to fill the 6 slots w/ end OR dex stats. I wouldn't worry too much about Greater Essences at this point.
    #3 Reps from Icewatch for your head enchant 11 Dex, 8 End, Dragonslayer for your leg enchant 12 Dex, 8 stam, and Mathosian for your belt enchant 10 Dex, 6 Stam.

Best all around spec is 51 RS/8 BD/ 7 Ranger (though some will contest it). This will give you free threat from dodging attacks, as well as an attack off the global cooldown in the form of Reprisal which is low energy cost and generates a combo point.

Moonshade highlands has a 5 dex/5 end belt enchant to hold you over till you get your rep factions up to par.

Careful not to position melee mobs to close to melee DPS as they potentially can get cleaved. And interrupt when you can, it helps reduce some magic damage to ya!

Anyway...hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
    I am new to Rift and trying to find the tank that fits me. I love tanking 5 mans. I took a Paladin to 22 but the inability to grab AoE threat made me crazy. I have a Warrior to level 20 and it is hella fun to tank with.

But I have never even HEARD of a Rouge tank in an MMO, so it has me very interested.

If I go pure Riftstalker, will I be able to tank Realm of the Fae / Iron Tombs? Or do Rogues need to be a little higher level before they can tank randoms?

Thanks for any advice.
    I am guessing by Paladin he meant Cleric.

And tanks that wear leather and can stealth are not exclusive to rift, but they Could actually roll heals in that other game.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 11-04-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Talaren View Post
    Macros for single target

#show planar strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast scatter the shadows
    cast reprisal
    cast rift disturbance
    cast phantom blow
    cast planar strike

Macros for AoE

#show twin strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast scatter the shadows
    cast reprisal
    cast rift disturbance
    cast phantom blow
    cast twin strike

Macros for Phase Shifting

#show shadow warp
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast shadow assault <- use blitz here
    cast shadow blitz <- use assault here
    cast shadow stalk
    Things in RED should never, EVER, be put into a spam macro. Things in Orange, I would remove or swap, but the world isn't going to end.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Plane Touched

I would recommend getting to level 21 if you want it easy-mode. Something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVcp.x0z..xzt0uRz0z

The main thing about Riftstalker is that your plane shifting generates threat with Planar Vortex (21-point ability) and Rift Barrier (11-point ability). That plus Blitz and Rift Distrurbance is pretty much how you hold AOE threat. So you want as many plane shifting abilities you can get, on as short a cooldown as you can get them.

Beyond that, I find Rogue to be the easiest tanking soul at low levels. Better mitigation than Warriors (by a large margin) and more AOE tools than a Cleric.

Shadowlander

35 lvl RS/BD/Sin(NB) tanks with no probs
    But bad at low lvls till 25 pretty sure
    Last edited by Winddrake; 11-04-2011 at 07:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread