+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hotfixing deflect in: lol?

Default Hotfixing deflect in: lol?

Don't know about you guys, but I was pretty surprised to get home from work, fire up rift and see the hotfix note "Riftstalker gets deflect! roflcopters" especially as it has been on PTS for some time now with no changes. And the sparse language in the notes really made me feel all warm and fuzzy! No fluff, just 'here you go *****es, unh'

won't raid til weekend but got a chance to test in mmDD last night and noticed some strange behavior, like variances in the % deflected, deflect triggering on non-physical attacks, etc. My suspicion is the variances in % deflected have to do with where deflect chance falls in the calculations. As for it triggering on non-physical attacks this is probably just oversight and inadequate testing that will be fixed eventually. The RNG feel is very much apparent so its kind of like they just gave us another parry. It's something, at least.

Well this is the pre-1.6 riftstalker change we were hoping for...yay? Will parse dmg taken tomorrow night and see whats up
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    Don't know about you guys, but I was pretty surprised to get home from work, fire up rift and see the hotfix note "Riftstalker gets deflect! roflcopters" especially as it has been on PTS for some time now with no changes. And the sparse language in the notes really made me feel all warm and fuzzy! No fluff, just 'here you go *****es, unh'

won't raid til weekend but got a chance to test in mmDD last night and noticed some strange behavior, like variances in the % deflected, deflect triggering on non-physical attacks, etc. My suspicion is the variances in % deflected have to do with where deflect chance falls in the calculations. As for it triggering on non-physical attacks this is probably just oversight and inadequate testing that will be fixed eventually. The RNG feel is very much apparent so its kind of like they just gave us another parry. It's something, at least.

Well this is the pre-1.6 riftstalker change we were hoping for...yay? Will parse dmg taken tomorrow night and see whats up
    Paikis pointed out elsewhere there's a visual bug relating to the combat text that adds "absorbed" damage into blocked/deflected scrolling combat notes, resulting in a variance in numbers and why you'll sometimes see a 300 damage hit and a 1700 damage deflect.

As for why it got randomly added in a hotfix? I have no idea. Seems weird they added that, but held back on the changes to Rift Guard going up, annihilate, and shadow guard... my hope is they're about to reveal the real fix, and this is to placate us another week or two.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    Mirage of Faeblight

Makes sense that it's just a visual bug, tbh I was too fried last night to verify actual damage taken

And yeah I'm really stoked about damage reflect on rift guard, hey if I'm taking more damage at least the boss dies faster
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    Makes sense that it's just a visual bug, tbh I was too fried last night to verify actual damage taken

And yeah I'm really stoked about damage reflect on rift guard, hey if I'm taking more damage at least the boss dies faster
    I don't mean to underplay Deflect by any means. It's fantastic!

But something I think people are getting away from is active testing across all levels of content. Just because GSB and ROS has a lot of magic and we're Ok with that, doesn't mean GP (Which I haven't done yet, admittingly), DH and mDD don't also have a lot of high physical fights.

It's silly I have to spec Sab, build cps, then switch back to RS to tank Ragetide because otherwise running up to him means wtfpwn (he can hit you before you can hit him, btw).

Making Deflect only stack up once you have a ton of Dex (Entry-level T1 raiders have 300, HK raiders have almost 600?) Is sketchy.

This would be mostly fixed with a 10% Deflect Finisher.
    Last edited by Phantom Scony; 11-03-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    Mirage of Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Scony View Post
    I don't mean to underplay Deflect by any means. It's fantastic!

But something I think people are getting away from is active testing across all levels of content. Just because GSB and ROS has a lot of magic and we're Ok with that, doesn't mean GP (Which I haven't done yet, admittingly), DH and mDD don't also have a lot of high physical fights.

It's silly I have to spec Sab, build cps, then switch back to RS to tank Ragetide because otherwise running up to him means wtfpwn (he can hit you before you can hit him, btw).

Tank damage in GP is a joke. Greenscale is the only boss in GSB that hits for any appreciable damage. ROS isn't bad either.

You don't *have* to spec sab to build cps, in fact that is an incredibly silly way of doing it. Splinter shot -> rift guard -> shift, there you go. RG is up before arrow hits the boss. Or...do that to one of the numerous crab critters wandering around...hell /duel someone and get all your finishers up if you really feel like its necessary

If you are getting hit that hard by ragetide you are doing the pull wrong (hint: mouse over his buffs and read them)

In any case RS miti outside of HK is by and large adequate
    Last edited by ShazzamCrucia; 11-03-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Personally I was shocked to find these sort of changes hotfixed in. Utterly shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've updated the original post - so Riftstalkers are aware, we are going to be making improvements to Rogue tanking before Update 1.6. These changes will not be available with 1.5 but in a smaller patch between major updates.

We'll have more details for you once we're ready - thanks for your feedback guys, and everyone else whose provided constructive and detailed responses to this thread.

Best,

Okay. Maybe not that shocked.

+ Reply to Thread