+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feedback: Assassin Soul Review

Rift Disciple

Default Feedback: Assassin Soul Review

Well in an attempt to give some positive feedback, I thought I would create this thread on the Assassin soul detailing my viewpoint and hopefully contributing in a positive way, whilst also creating some discussion in the community.
    I think it would be useful to have feedback threads on each soul for the developers, and I intend to try and give as balanced a viewpoint as possible.

I should say that I have more or less exclusively played Assassin since launch, levelled with it and PVPíd with it constantly from R1 to R8. I am PVP focused and donít raid often but have done most T1 and T2 raids, so input from dedicated and more experienced raiders would be much appreciated. I play 51Sin almost exclusively.
    Generally I am happy with my Sin, although at 51 point investment there are a few things I would like to see changed.

Abilities
    Savage Strike: Itís actually a bit lacklustre, it hits for the same damage as most soul 1 point combo builders however it falls rather short in analysis. The other melee DPS souls options are better, Primal Strike is now Death based so bypasses armour mitigation and Keen Strike gates Quick strike, a very hard hitting 1 point builder that they can use every 2nd strike. Improved Savage Strike falls short on Primal Death and Blade and Fury at higher levels as your Crit Rating increases. The NB ability scales with other damage increases in the NB tree from feats as does Quick Strike.

Virulent Poison: Itís rather poor and is never used once you get Leeching and Lethal poison (and later debilitating). The damage differential is too small to make it a worthwhile choice for PVP and the raid benefits more from Lethal Poison. The damage needs to be increased by a fair bit.

Final Blow: Itís a good finisher and 1.5 has helped however it requires to be used in conjunction with Impale if itís to reach its full potential. Where it suffers though is the accessibility of Deadly Dance in the BD tree. Most melee DPS raiding builds want the DD buff which really supersedes the damage of Final Blow. I think FB needs a damage buff to make it a competitive choice in finishers.

Assassinate: Itís a bit of a gimmick really, and I think it should be class defining for the Assassin. The problem is that itís gated to Stealth and so only available at the start of a fight or after Slip Away Ė so twice every 2 minutes at best. On a tough target or raid boss Jagged Strike outperforms it massively, and on low health PVP targets, Paralysing Strike is of as much use as it prevents reaction. Perhaps if it added a debuff to the target? Adding a reduced AP/SP would make it desired.

Stealth: Well class defining ability for Sins and established in the genre. Long cool down though at 10s sometimes.

Incapacitate: I would like this to be ranged as Lost Hope is, largely so I could more easily catch fast targets in PVP but itís a personal wish :P

Lethal Poison: A nice ability throughout the Sin lifecycle and useful on raids.

Elusiveness: Could do with a slightly longer duration I think.

Expose Weakness: A nice ability and much better now it is off the GCD.

Malicious Strike: Fantastic Snare

Leeching Poison: A great ability and now a staple of the Sin.

Paralyzing Strike: I think this is balanced where it should be, a good ability to have.

Poison Malice: This is lacklustre when compared to the free Side Steps combined with Strike Back, itís also nothing on the Nightblade Survival bubbles. I am not sure if itís supposed to be an offensive or defensive ability, given Poisons are at best on a 40% proc rate it doesnít buff attack sufficiently. I think that the cooldown should either be shortened or the effect could be changed to allow you to apply Poisons at double your normal percentage as well Ė so an 80% Poison application rate for those 15seconds.

Baneful Touch: A nice little buff.

Cut and Run: Fantastic and made the Sin much more viable in PVP.

Jagged Strike: The best from stealth opener on anything tough, and I think it is balanced.

Impale: This is the Assassin class defining finisher still, great damage and buffs Final Strike with the feats.

Debilitating Poison: I think this needs a bit of a buff, itís got a 40% chance to apply per strike and its impact is debateable. Nice versus warriors, but the mana drain on a Cleric or mage is useless given their mana regen abilities. Could a small buff to the amount drained.

Hidden Veil: I find it hard to call this one, useful survival mechanism when it works and required for the amount of AOE in the game that seems to work on heat seekers, but it is buggy and has taken a severe nerf with the change to slip away. Perhaps this could be buffed to restore the 3s damage invulnerability on Slip Away Ė thus requiring 40 points in Assassin to gain the best of Slip Away.

Poison Gas: a very nice utility CC skill, debatable use in PVE though.

Serpent Strike: Great ability and I think itís where it should be in terms of damage and cooldown.

Feats
    Ruthlessness: A nice boost to crit thatís welcome throughout play from level 1 to level 50.

Improved Final Blow: A nice little damage boost but FB still lags a little bit behind Deadly Dance for sustained DPS.

Improved Savage Strike: It does little to address the inadequacies of Savage Strike. Itís nice at low level but when you start hitting raid/R8 geared, your crit is so high that a small improved chance on Savage Strike is not the best. Iíd actually suggest a 10%/20$ damage increase.

Serrated Blades: A nice little damage increase although it can be frustrating off an auto attack when you try to use blinding powder.

Puncture: A great skill, though perhaps the DOT could be increased slightly to improve sustained DPS in raids etc.
    Murderous Intent: Nice little damage buff, though perhaps not quite as good as the NightBlade and BD equivalents, however it really depends on how you want to improve damage.

Cloak and Dagger: Nice damage increase but given how restricted Stealth and Slip Away are, perhaps increasing the duration would help for longer fights.

Cruel Vengeance: Well worth the points, a nice feat.

Blinding Powder: a Nice CC feat, but would love it if it added an interrupt effect given we have none.

Silent footsteps: Very useful but I question if it needs to be 2 points.

Magnify Pain: Well worth the points, a nice feat.

Double Cross: Positioning bonus for raids etc where you can attack the back, limited use in PVP and I am unsure if itís really worth being a 3 point feat.

Backstab: a nice ability if you are behind the mob, but for soloing and PVP itís difficult to trigger. I think the damage could be buffed a little to reflect the difficulties in positioning.

Poison Potency: Useful damage boost, but I question if 3 points is required. It means the Assassin is spending a lot of points on Poison abilities when you consider Poison Mastery as well.

Subterfuge: A nice boost to damage on Stealth skills, again though its 3 points invested into something only usable once every 2 minutes.

Improved Stealth: I have mixed feelings about this, if the Assassin is the premier stealthier then I believe this should be moved to an ability you gain automatically rather than a feated point.

Foul Play: Essential stun CC and fine on duration etc.

Poison Mastery: A nice damage boost and frequency boost, but again itís 5 points invested in small returns.

Physical Trauma: Great feat

Advance Flanking: I feel this is a bit mixed; itís 2 points covering abilities which are only available during stealth or if you are behind a mob. I do like that it almost guarantees a crit on your from stealth opener though, but the improvement on backstab is weak.

Slip Away: The 31 point feat, defining stealth ability and now pretty useless. It allows escape only if you are not DOTíd, AOEíd or CCíd. Only usable every 2 minutes. This ability was fine where it was before and should not have been changed to address the complaints from a vocal minority who did not understand the soul. The Assassin is still a very squishy soul, the 3s damage immunity allowed the Assassin to operate on the fringes of the group and be able to down a target and get away if noticed. 3 seconds before popping out of stealth is nothing in PVP which this is aimed at. Further to that, the removal of the damage immunity has led to an issue where the Hidden Veil buff is purged by a late landing Eradicate/Purge. The cooldown should be shortened as well.

Summary:
    I think the Assassin is in a much better place PVP wise than it was prior to 1.5. I think that there are a few too many feats invested in Stealth and Poison abilities for limited return, in all there are 11 Feat points invested in stealth and improvement to attacks from stealth, and 8 spent in increasing Poison damage but only increasing frequency of application to 40%.

The 51 Assassin is still too squishy for PVP, particularly with the changes to Slip Away and the 2 minute cooldown.
    The 1.5 patch changes were aimed at reducing the dependency on DOTs, however Impale is now a requirement to get a decent return from Final Blow, and even then it does not match the sustained damage granted by a 13 point investment in Bladedancer.

Currently there are no debuffs in the tree at all, and we also have the least number of finishers of any soul Ė Impale and Final Blow, though I donít want to see Baneful Touch restored as a finisher. Nightblade has 3 as does Bladedancer, and both of them have feat trees where the invested points are available almost anytime, nothing that boosts stealth abilities.

Damage wise I am happy for PVP on the initial burst damage, Iíd like to see a slight increase to the sustained DPS so that it was a viable raiding soul. I think perhaps reducing or combining some of the stealth feats to add passive damage increase might be nice - look how many damage increase skills the MM gets. An increse per point spent above 31 or something would help.

However I think the biggest issue is that the soul spends 20 points on abilities purely devoted to Poison and Stealth. Itís a large sink of points on 40% chance and abilities only available twice every two minutes at best. The other thing I would note is that we have 3 class buffs and they are all poison related Ė so an eradicate or purge of them is invalidating 8 feat points...

Iíd like to see some debuffs added perhaps a bit more survivability, the Sin is the only melee rogue that doesnít have a damage mitigation bubble/skill that can improve it's survivability.

Telaran

Much truth, however.

Poison Potency doesn't modify poison damage as any poisons. It now reads 'poison abilities' - it's a 0 dps gain for any sin builds and essentially only works for the 20/46 sabo build some people use.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Aleos View Post
    Much truth, however.

Poison Potency doesn't modify poison damage as any poisons. It now reads 'poison abilities' - it's a 0 dps gain for any sin builds and essentially only works for the 20/46 sabo build some people use.
    Then the tooltip is very wrong - I have always takern it as granted that it did improve poison damatge by 15%, I never stopepd to test it.

Did you have anything to back it up? Would like to find out the issue as perhaps it's bugged?
    Last edited by Anselan; 11-02-2011 at 07:29 AM.

slip away is plenty strong in current implementation, you could use cleanse soul before or hidden veil after or both. or even cleanse soul after anymore since it doesnt break stealth.

overall, sin is very strong for pvp, you have to be smart in approaching your targets, but if you could just walk over aoe without having to use your cool downs it would be rediculous.

make sure you are malicious strike your target in your first few gcd's if you are struggling to pressure your target.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 11-02-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Anselan View Post
    The 51 Assassin is still too squishy for PVP, particularly with the changes to Slip Away and the 2 minute cooldown.
    Not true at all. They simply made NB/RS so not squishy that 51 Sins are simply jealous. They need to squishy NB again and leave Sins alone.

The 1.5 patch changes were aimed at reducing the dependency on DOTs, however Impale is now a requirement to get a decent return from Final Blow, and even then it does not match the sustained damage granted by a 13 point investment in Bladedancer.
    It was no different prior to the patch, only now we get some additional damage post 1.5. If you werenít using Impale prior to 1.5 then you were doing it wrong. Iím not sure this much of a valid argument.

Currently there are no debuffs in the tree at all, and we also have the least number of finishers of any soul Ė Impale and Final Blow, though I donít want to see Baneful Touch restored as a finisher. Nightblade has 3 as does Bladedancer, and both of them have feat trees where the invested points are available almost anytime, nothing that boosts stealth abilities.
    This is by design. Sins are front load damage and by far out burst the other souls in PvP. If they had a heal debuff for example, that would simply be way too overpowered from one soul. And letís remember that this is a group game, a healer on a high rank 51 Sin today is very deadly and makes a serious impact on fights. Debuffs would make them almost godsÖ.

Can you imagine if Fell Blades was only 15 points in NB? Assassin wrecking crews would decimate healers and mages. As it is Anathema on a 30 Second cooldown coupled with 51 Sin burst is still in my opinion a blue bar wrecker. The only thing I struggle against are a few good Warriors and when there is enough cross healing to prevent me from taking down a Cleric but I think that's the way things are supposed to be.

The only thing I would want from a PvP perspective is a 51 point passive ability that allowed us to use Backstab and warp behind the target. Otherwise honestly I think 51 Assassin is the most balanced PvP soul at the moment.

Nightblades beware, nerf bat has to be swinging in your direction soon. Easy mode won't last forever!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Waldoh View Post
    Not true at all. They simply made NB/RS so not squishy that 51 Sins are simply jealous. They need to squishy NB again and leave Sins alone.

It was no different prior to the patch, only now we get some additional damage post 1.5. If you weren’t using Impale prior to 1.5 then you were doing it wrong. I’m not sure this much of a valid argument.

This is by design. Sins are front load damage and by far out burst the other souls in PvP. If they had a heal debuff for example, that would simply be way too overpowered from one soul. And let’s remember that this is a group game, a healer on a high rank 51 Sin today is very deadly and makes a serious impact on fights. Debuffs would make them almost gods….

Can you imagine if Fell Blades was only 15 points in NB? Assassin wrecking crews would decimate healers and mages. As it is Anathema on a 30 Second cooldown coupled with 51 Sin burst is still in my opinion a blue bar wrecker. The only thing I struggle against are a few good Warriors and when there is enough cross healing to prevent me from taking down a Cleric but I think that's the way things are supposed to be.

The only thing I would want from a PvP perspective is a 51 point passive ability that allowed us to use Backstab and warp behind the target. Otherwise honestly I think 51 Assassin is the most balanced PvP soul at the moment.

Nightblades beware, nerf bat has to be swinging in your direction soon. Easy mode won't last forever!
    1) Slip Away is not plenty strong, you don't play 51 Sin so you don't understand the mechanism. Essentially it's just vulnerable to spam and it's causing Hidden Veil to be purged.

2) I have always used Impale, and I would hazard a guess that I know a lot more about the ASsassin than you. If you actually read the 1.5 patch notes you would see that the design aim was to reduce dependancy on long DOTs. This goal has not been met, though I have no complaint.

3) I never requested a heal debuff, I requested an AP/SP debuff. Please re read the post and think again. I never requested Fell Blades to be moved at all, I think it is right to be at 16 points. Anathema is in the Infil tree and I was using the 51Sin/15Inf/0Rng as soon as I reached Prestige rank 3. I am more than familiar with the build. The request was for a meaningful defensive shield just as all the other melee Souls have in the rogue tree. This could easily be placed at high level.

Why are you making up things that aren't there?? You've jumped into the post on Assassin and spoken of nothing but NB, healing debuffs and Fell Blades for more than half your post,none of which were ever requested or even mentioned.

Not one of my points requested more burst damage for the Assassin, the burst damage is more than fine. I suggested more damage for longer fights to address the disparity in raid DPS for melee rogues. The only points I made were related to the buggy nature of Slip Away, the large investment of points in Stealth and Poison abilities, both of which are on limited application.

In short, I think you've completely misunderstood the post.
    Last edited by Anselan; 11-02-2011 at 01:03 PM.

I provided my thoughts below your suggestions in the following quote. While we may not agree on everything I think you bring to light a good deal and thank you for taking the time to write this up. I look forward to some meaningful discussion on the assassin soul, I love this soul have played it since I joined rift so for about 4 plus months. I tend to be a 51 sin, 15 bladedancer and 0 ranger.

Abilities
    Savage Strike: Itís actually a bit lacklustre, it hits for the same damage as most soul 1 point combo builders however it falls rather short in analysis. The other melee DPS souls options are better, Primal Strike is now Death based so bypasses armour mitigation and Keen Strike gates Quick strike, a very hard hitting 1 point builder that they can use every 2nd strike. Improved Savage Strike falls short on Primal Death and Blade and Fury at higher levels as your Crit Rating increases. The NB ability scales with other damage increases in the NB tree from feats as does Quick Strike.

Well I would like to see more armor penetration myself, perhaps in addition to increasing its crit by 10 it can also allow it to ignore say %10-20 of your targets armor or something along those lines.

Virulent Poison: Itís rather poor and is never used once you get Leeching and Lethal poison (and later debilitating). The damage differential is too small to make it a worthwhile choice for PVP and the raid benefits more from Lethal Poison. The damage needs to be increased by a fair bit.

eh its a beginner poison, I really don't think it needs anything imo, we have other poison choices. Not saying your wrong just not sure if I think it needs anything, would rather them work on Debilitating myself.

Final Blow: Itís a good finisher and 1.5 has helped however it requires to be used in conjunction with Impale if itís to reach its full potential. Where it suffers though is the accessibility of Deadly Dance in the BD tree. Most melee DPS raiding builds want the DD buff which really supersedes the damage of Final Blow. I think FB needs a damage buff to make it a competitive choice in finishers.

No comment

Assassinate: Itís a bit of a gimmick really, and I think it should be class defining for the Assassin. The problem is that itís gated to Stealth and so only available at the start of a fight or after Slip Away Ė so twice every 2 minutes at best. On a tough target or raid boss Jagged Strike outperforms it massively, and on low health PVP targets, Paralysing Strike is of as much use as it prevents reaction. Perhaps if it added a debuff to the target? Adding a reduced AP/SP would make it desired.

While we are the poison class I don't feel we need debuffs, I would rather have more ways to be a master of stealthed attacks, Slip away needs to be a 1 min cooldown imo, I never used it to escape, I used it to reengage with Assassinate or Jagged as the situation called for. We need more ways to execute our stealthed abilities, would love a option somewhere to allow us to us 1 on our stealthed abilities out of stealth once every 20 seconds or something like it. In short I don't think it needs a debuff but rather more ways for us to be able to use it more then once every 2 mins.

Stealth: Well class defining ability for Sins and established in the genre. Long cool down though at 10s sometimes.

Hmm im torn, id love for it to be instant recast or heck even 5s but eh might be asking for to much, a lot of the time I fight, kill my target and its back up for me to use again so the 10s doesn't feel like much of a problem.

Incapacitate: I would like this to be ranged as Lost Hope is, largely so I could more easily catch fast targets in PVP but itís a personal wish :P

:P Id like for it to be ranged to for the same reasons but there's always sprint if your in the bladedancer and flash of steel if you need to close in on them, pair it with a foul play and rock their world. Wouldn't mind seeing a range like night blade don't get me wrong but we do have option to close gaps.

Lethal Poison: A nice ability throughout the Sin lifecycle and useful on raids.

Agreed

Elusiveness: Could do with a slightly longer duration I think.

Yes please, 5 seconds really isn't to useful, not saying I don't use it, I do near about religiously but still, 10s or even just 7s would be nice.

Expose Weakness: A nice ability and much better now it is off the GCD.

Agreed

Malicious Strike: Fantastic Snare

Agreed

Leeching Poison: A great ability and now a staple of the Sin.

Agreed

Paralyzing Strike: I think this is balanced where it should be, a good ability to have.

Agreed

Poison Malice: This is lacklustre when compared to the free Side Steps combined with Strike Back, itís also nothing on the Nightblade Survival bubbles. I am not sure if itís supposed to be an offensive or defensive ability, given Poisons are at best on a 40% proc rate it doesnít buff attack sufficiently. I think that the cooldown should either be shortened or the effect could be changed to allow you to apply Poisons at double your normal percentage as well Ė so an 80% Poison application rate for those 15seconds.

I use it offensively, nothing in it is going to save you to use it defensively imo, would like to see it also increase poison proc rate, or to make it a true defensive ability make it where attackers when hitting you are confused, feared, incapacitated, etc for 4 seconds.

Baneful Touch: A nice little buff.

Agreed

Cut and Run: Fantastic and made the Sin much more viable in PVP.

Agreed

Jagged Strike: The best from stealth opener on anything tough, and I think it is balanced.

Agreed

Impale: This is the Assassin class defining finisher still, great damage and buffs Final Strike with the feats.

No comment

Debilitating Poison: I think this needs a bit of a buff, itís got a 40% chance to apply per strike and its impact is debateable. Nice versus warriors, but the mana drain on a Cleric or mage is useless given their mana regen abilities. Could a small buff to the amount drained.

I don't know about you but I often find myself energy starved, I do try to keep tablets up but I would love it if this siphoned the energy/power/mana drained and feed it to us like our leeching does, say at a rate of 2 energy per tick higher if need be.

Hidden Veil: I find it hard to call this one, useful survival mechanism when it works and required for the amount of AOE in the game that seems to work on heat seekers, but it is buggy and has taken a severe nerf with the change to slip away. Perhaps this could be buffed to restore the 3s damage invulnerability on Slip Away Ė thus requiring 40 points in Assassin to gain the best of Slip Away.

Hmm I don't think we need 3s immunity, it encourages people to run and I really view slip away as a offensive ability, just personal taste though. I would like to see its recast either changed to 30s or for a 40 point just make it always up as a buff unless purged and reduce the destealth prevention to 10s or so.

Poison Gas: a very nice utility CC skill, debatable use in PVE though.

Agreed

Serpent Strike: Great ability and I think itís where it should be in terms of damage and cooldown.

Agreed

Feats
    Ruthlessness: A nice boost to crit thatís welcome throughout play from level 1 to level 50.

Agreed

Improved Final Blow: A nice little damage boost but FB still lags a little bit behind Deadly Dance for sustained DPS.

No comment

Improved Savage Strike: It does little to address the inadequacies of Savage Strike. Itís nice at low level but when you start hitting raid/R8 geared, your crit is so high that a small improved chance on Savage Strike is not the best. Iíd actually suggest a 10%/20$ damage increase.

As I mentioned above id rather see it avoid the enemies armor rather then increase its damage, just a personal taste.

Serrated Blades: A nice little damage increase although it can be frustrating off an auto attack when you try to use blinding powder.

Agreed

Puncture: A great skill, though perhaps the DOT could be increased slightly to improve sustained DPS in raids etc.

While I think its fine as is, wouldn't mind seeing a slight improvement to the DOT.

Murderous Intent: Nice little damage buff, though perhaps not quite as good as the NightBlade and BD equivalents, however it really depends on how you want to improve damage.

Agreed

Cloak and Dagger: Nice damage increase but given how restricted Stealth and Slip Away are, perhaps increasing the duration would help for longer fights.

Increasing the duration would be nice, but I still feel we need more ways to execute stealth attacks in combat thus giving this a better chance to proc (well if said ways put us into stealth to proc it, if it were an ability to use a stealthed attack outside of stealth yeah wouldn't help this)

Cruel Vengeance: Well worth the points, a nice feat.

Agreed

Blinding Powder: a Nice CC feat, but would love it if it added an interrupt effect given we have none.

I think its fine the way it is, wouldn't be against a interrupt effect but not sure if its needed, or at least not needed in conjunction with said ability.

Silent footsteps: Very useful but I question if it needs to be 2 points.

2 points is fine imo. Would be nice if the amount it increased our avoidance being detected in stealth was raised though, say 25% per point for a total of 50%, but then again its pretty low in the tree so it might be best the way it is.

Magnify Pain: Well worth the points, a nice feat.

Agreed

Double Cross: Positioning bonus for raids etc where you can attack the back, limited use in PVP and I am unsure if itís really worth being a 3 point feat.

Fine the way it is imo, its good for initial burst from behind in pvp, I am normally able to remain behind my target in pvp, unless of course im in a 1v1 which does happen a bit, still I feel it serves its purpose in pvp and its great for pve.

Backstab: a nice ability if you are behind the mob, but for soloing and PVP itís difficult to trigger. I think the damage could be buffed a little to reflect the difficulties in positioning.

Again good for what it is meant for, difficult to trigger doesn't mean it needs help, we get added damage burst when opening from behind in pvp, we are assassins we aren't meant to go head to head with things for very long, to me there has to be some disadvantages for our burst abilities and attacking from stealth.

Poison Potency: Useful damage boost, but I question if 3 points is required. It means the Assassin is spending a lot of points on Poison abilities when you consider Poison Mastery as well.

Agreed here, 3 points does feel like a lot.

Subterfuge: A nice boost to damage on Stealth skills, again though its 3 points invested into something only usable once every 2 minutes.

As mentioned above this can be fixed by giving us more ways to execute stealthed attacks, either by lowering the recast on slip away or giving us a new ability to execute a stealthed attack out of stealth every 20s give or take.

Improved Stealth: I have mixed feelings about this, if the Assassin is the premier stealthier then I believe this should be moved to an ability you gain automatically rather than a feated point.

As long as it remains deepish in the tree I agree.

Foul Play: Essential stun CC and fine on duration etc.

Agreed

Poison Mastery: A nice damage boost and frequency boost, but again itís 5 points invested in small returns.

Not sure if it needs a boost or not I like what it does though 5 points may be a bit much.

Physical Trauma: Great feat

Agreed

Advance Flanking: I feel this is a bit mixed; itís 2 points covering abilities which are only available during stealth or if you are behind a mob. I do like that it almost guarantees a crit on your from stealth opener though, but the improvement on backstab is weak.

I think the only thing needed here is that backstab should match our stealthed attacks in crit gained from 6% to %50 due its situational use.

Slip Away: The 31 point feat, defining stealth ability and now pretty useless. It allows escape only if you are not DOTíd, AOEíd or CCíd. Only usable every 2 minutes. This ability was fine where it was before and should not have been changed to address the complaints from a vocal minority who did not understand the soul. The Assassin is still a very squishy soul, the 3s damage immunity allowed the Assassin to operate on the fringes of the group and be able to down a target and get away if noticed. 3 seconds before popping out of stealth is nothing in PVP which this is aimed at. Further to that, the removal of the damage immunity has led to an issue where the Hidden Veil buff is purged by a late landing Eradicate/Purge. The cooldown should be shortened as well.

We differ on our views of what it should be used for, and there's nothing wrong with that imo. I still feel it should be used offensively primarily to land additional stealthed attacks in a battle, but I 100% agree the recast needs to be lowered and for anyone who says assassins are not squishy, lol. We are very squishy but it helps to balance I think our burst and stealthed abilities. In prolonged fights a good assassin knows, the longer the fight goes on the more likely we are about to die. The issue with Hidden veil should be fixed and to be clear, im neither against or for getting the 3s immunity back, I can go either way, just wanted to explain my thoughts on it.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Rift Disciple

Some nice thoughts there Xillean, I agree entirely on us needing to find a way to be able to use more of our stealth attacks for longer fights.

I actually had a thought about this as a wild suggestion, what if the Slip Away cooldown was reduced by 3s for every point spent in Assassin above 31?

This would mean a 51point invested Sin would have Slip Away on a 1minute Cooldown - so it would not unbalance the builds where 31points only are spent in the Soul.

Just to clarify, my point on Poison Malice was that a fully invested Blade Dancer is actually getting more offensive output from using a defensive ability than we get using our equivalent in either fashion. Perhaps Poison Malice could then guarantee applying Poisons for those 15seconds.

Savage Strike ignoring armour might very well help it, I hadn't thought of that option but I think it could definiately work.

I really like that concerning the slip away the more points spent the shorter the cooldown. I wouldn't mind seeing Poison Malice procing a full 100 while its up if its recast is to be the same. I like to keep it more offensive based then anything, but its more to do with my play style then anything, I play a sin relentlessly with one goal in mind, to wtf pawn my target, I don't care if I survive though its nice, so long as I make that person drop the fang, sourcestone, etc my goal it met.

It is of course even better when I can survive and either return the sourcestone, run theirs back for a point, or get the fang and hold on to it, but eh most of the time I find my targets well guarded so I play with the intent to make them drop the item and delay their team from picking it up so its returned to its prison in case of the fang or give a team member a chance to grab said fang or get the sourcestone.

Main reason for the savage strike idea was I think its damage is good, there's just to many ways like you've pointed out for it to be mitigated, blocked, etc so having it ignore a percent of our targets armor should help it. That and I don't know but something about armor penetration feels assassiny to me. Like you above all I want to have more ways to use our stealth abilities, probably deep within our trees to prevent them form being abused.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

+ Reply to Thread