Thread: Battle Bard: Building the Spec and Rotation Assistance

Default Battle Bard: Building the Spec and Rotation Assistance

The Build: 32bard/24ranger/10mark

Single Target rotation

crippling shot
    piercing shot
    quick shot

finishers (non macro)
    head shot (use it every 60 secs to keep buff up or when you are mobile because deadeye shot is a 2sec cast)
    deadeye shot

If a long fight: shadow fire as an opener and keep that up.

AoE:
    Trick shot

Finishers:
    Concussive blast
    Coda of Fury

Buffs:

Pet; greater dire wolf
    fanfare of power
    anthem of fervor

Side abilities

coda of restoration
    Virtuoso (use if you need to spam Coda of Restoration or Fury)
    Cadence
    5 motifs

Disclaimer- Made alteration to a few battle bard builds but never could find a solid one. I only have been playing the rogue for a few weeks - with 3 builds: 51 marks, 51 bard, and 25as/21rs/20bd (dunsparrow).

Just seeking thoughts of improvement on either rotation or the build. I did a few CC runs. On 3+ mobs, can reach 1k dps, and on bosses, I was able to reach 700 +/- 50 dps from pet.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Calibrex; 10-31-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

Saw your build, for some reason i never thought to try out a bard/ranger build for battle bard, but the pet is nice to have as an added DPS increase. i actually used http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Vz.VMsf0cksz.m
    instead of the build you posted, have not really tested it much, but i have been looking for something interesting to try out so i can queue as support in T2's when im super bored. It's putting up about 700 on the dummy for me, and has pretty much everything i care about from a bard.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Here's what I'm thinking...

Forget cadence, it sucks. Use bard for the buffs and MM attacks.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...V.E0xoV0V0dR.m

Play it as a buffing dps.

I played Bard-Rng all the time in 5 mans when I was doing T1s and T2s, it's OK but MM is generally stronger these days.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-31-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Rift Disciple

You might want to take more bard after the 1.6 patch so you can run all the fanfares.

51bard/15bd/0blank

Cadence crits tick for 400+ with my current gear, have tried out a lot of bard builds and none of them have matched that.

If you're looking to run with a "I buff but I use non-bard attacks for everything" you'll usually land flat on your face. You should be going very deep in Bard, at least 36 for a 5man build (40 after patch 1.6) and 51 for raiding, leaving not much to put elsewhere. Conveniently, DD is incredibly low in the BD tree. Not only do you smack with an actually good finisher, but your Cadence heals for double along with the damage boost it gets. You can either hit Cadence+Power Chord to get to 5 combo points and Deadly Strike, or you can Cadence x3 if you feel like the extra healing is needed. If **** hits the fan, Virtuoso, spam codas, and then Riff+Deadly Strike to get back into your rotation. You have all of the bard buffs, and while you won't break any DPS or HPS records, you have a good mix of both.

Lets face it, if you're just keeping a couple buffs up and using MM attacks, your party could use you better as an actual MM.
    Last edited by Lorx; 10-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Epic Gendo

Quote Originally Posted by Korzald View Post
    You might want to take more bard after the 1.6 patch so you can run all the fanfares.
    True... but you can't get enough of the 25+ talents if you're 40 bard. Best to tell casters to suck it instead of a major dps drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    Saw your build, for some reason i never thought to try out a bard/ranger build for battle bard, but the pet is nice to have as an added DPS increase. i actually used http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Vz.VMsf0cksz.m
    instead of the build you posted, have not really tested it much, but i have been looking for something interesting to try out so i can queue as support in T2's when im super bored. It's putting up about 700 on the dummy for me, and has pretty much everything i care about from a bard.
    hmm. I just didnt want rain of arrows (not a combo builder). didnt want to spent my left over point in ranger where as the 10 in MM give some more dps plus range than the few extra points.

Champion

I run this for dungeons. If I get a geared tank I can tell the healer to go DPS, slap on my sigil with the two shielding essences and the sacred heirloom of eth. Undergeared healer I slap on the sigil with the shadow fire greater essence and one of these to assist them healing while still adding a touch more offense. I'm 34 bard because yes, the mez helps in PUGs and yes I have crippling shot for slow tanks (hence the 0 in riftstalker for the blink as well).

Could probably be optimized more but *shrug* they're dungeons. The utility it offers comes in handy no matter the group composition. Just make sure you don't zone in with anthem of fervor active in case you get a choloromancer healer who says you can do dps. It'll knock out their living energy and I've never seen a single mage who realizes I knocked out their buff.
    Greybriar Guardian Bard

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    True... but you can't get enough of the 25+ talents if you're 40 bard. Best to tell casters to suck it instead of a major dps drop.
    whats 40 bard going to give?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorx View Post
    51bard/15bd/0blank

Cadence crits tick for 400+ with my current gear, have tried out a lot of bard builds and none of them have matched that.

If you're looking to run with a "I buff but I use non-bard attacks for everything" you'll usually land flat on your face. You should be going very deep in Bard, at least 36 for a 5man build (40 after patch 1.6) and 51 for raiding, leaving not much to put elsewhere. Conveniently, DD is incredibly low in the BD tree. Not only do you smack with an actually good finisher, but your Cadence heals for double along with the damage boost it gets. You can either hit Cadence+Power Chord to get to 5 combo points and Deadly Strike, or you can Cadence x3 if you feel like the extra healing is needed. If **** hits the fan, Virtuoso, spam codas, and then Riff+Deadly Strike to get back into your rotation. You have all of the bard buffs, and while you won't break any DPS or HPS records, you have a good mix of both.

Lets face it, if you're just keeping a couple buffs up and using MM attacks, your party could use you better as an actual MM.

sorry should have added that I'd run a different build if was going to melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    I run this for dungeons. If I get a geared tank I can tell the healer to go DPS, slap on my sigil with the two shielding essences and the sacred heirloom of eth. Undergeared healer I slap on the sigil with the shadow fire greater essence and one of these to assist them healing while still adding a touch more offense. I'm 34 bard because yes, the mez helps in PUGs and yes I have crippling shot for slow tanks (hence the 0 in riftstalker for the blink as well).

Could probably be optimized more but *shrug* they're dungeons. The utility it offers comes in handy no matter the group composition. Just make sure you don't zone in with anthem of fervor active in case you get a choloromancer healer who says you can do dps. It'll knock out their living energy and I've never seen a single mage who realizes I knocked out their buff.
    this was the other build I was looking at. but only 32 bard ;p

I played Bard-Rng all the time in 5 mans when I was doing T1s and T2s, it's OK but MM is generally stronger these days.
    what is the aoe combo builder and finishers?

missing codas

Quote Originally Posted by Calibrex View Post
    missing codas
    It's intentional. Basicly the build is designed around doing 0 healing and playing like a MM who buffs.

I don't like cadence, it's range plus channel makes it annoying. Coda's are all 20m range.

Spam fanout/lightning fury for aoe like MM, dps single target like a MM and then just keep motifs up. Haven't tried it out yet, but think I will today.

Probably should go 32 bard for fervor though, in case there's no chloro.
    Last edited by Mayi; 11-01-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    I run this for dungeons.
    Thanks for the build, I will give it a try in a T2 tonight.

Against the Dungeon Practice Dummy I averaged 666 DPS (read into that what you'd like). I have Gedlo Dragon-Hunter's Bow.

I kept the bard buffs up on myself, and kept up Coda of Cowardice on the Dummy.

I built up with Shadow Fire, Splinter Shot, and Quick Shot. Finished only with Head Shot. I will likely be adding in Divert Range to my macro to make sure I don't get aggro, as the Motifs tend to annoy mobs.

+ Reply to Thread