+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Whetstones, offhands, and ranged

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    82

    Default Whetstones, offhands, and ranged

    Pretty simple -- is there a reason people put whetstones on MH when using ranged, or OH when using any spec that doesn't include Twin Strike/Rift Disturbance?

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Gyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Yes, always put a Whetstone on your main hand and your offhand as the full damage bonus is added to every attack you do regardless of which weapon you are using to do that attack.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

  3. #3
    RIFT Guide Writer Hokonoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    Yes, always put a Whetstone on your main hand and your offhand as the full damage bonus is added to every attack you do regardless of which weapon you are using to do that attack.
    and this includes ranged

    putting +5 on mh/oh is same as putting an oilstone on a 2h or a ranged weapon.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

  4. #4
    Telaran Zboq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Really? I've heared that only main hand dps affects simple single melee weapons strikes :|

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    Yes, always put a Whetstone on your main hand and your offhand as the full damage bonus is added to every attack you do regardless of which weapon you are using to do that attack.
    I haven't parsed it yet, but do you have any example parses taht show this? I was under teh impression while ranged that only your ranged DPS mattered, and that adding the DPS on the main hand was moot in that situation. Now I'll have to sit down and test it out . . . unless you have some examples

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    I haven't parsed it yet, but do you have any example parses taht show this? I was under teh impression while ranged that only your ranged DPS mattered, and that adding the DPS on the main hand was moot in that situation. Now I'll have to sit down and test it out . . . unless you have some examples
    Don't need a parser for it. Go hit a dummy with your ranged weapon and see what your critical hit does. Add a whetstone to your main hand and shoot the dummy again, your crit will increase. Add a second whetstone to your off hand and shoot again, and your ranged damage will increase again.

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer Ninjahax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threx View Post
    Don't need a parser for it. Go hit a dummy with your ranged weapon and see what your critical hit does. Add a whetstone to your main hand and shoot the dummy again, your crit will increase. Add a second whetstone to your off hand and shoot again, and your ranged damage will increase again.
    It's...it's like magic!

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    WHETSTONES DO NOT BUFF THE DPS OF THE WEAPON YOU PUT THE WHETSTONE ON.

    WHETSTONES BUFF YOUR CHARACTER'S "WEAPON DPS". THEY BUFF YOU, NOT YOUR WEAPON. SO ANY ATTACK YOU DO WITH YOUR CHARACTER GETS THE WHETSTONE BUFF APPLIED TO THEIR WEAPON DPS.



    Wtb sticky.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    318

    Default

    okay thank you
    Last edited by Threx; 10-31-2011 at 09:16 AM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    Simmer down now.

  11. #11
    RIFT Guide Writer Ninjahax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PFalcon View Post
    Simmer down now.
    You just reminded me of Stick Stickly. Good times...

    "Write to me
    Stick Stickly
    PO Box 963
    New York City
    New York state
    10108!"
    Last edited by Ninjahax; 10-31-2011 at 09:24 AM.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Doesn't the whetstone actually say "Use: Increases melee weapon dps by 5 for 4 hours.". So by adding the DPS kind of like a 50 attack power for 4 hours rather than adding to the base DPS of the melee weapon, isn't that a defect, and thus an exploit if you knowingly use it? I'd like to see if we could have a trion rep comment on it, or can someone link to a post that a Trion rep had already commented?

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    Doesn't the whetstone actually say "Use: Increases melee weapon dps by 5 for 4 hours.". So by adding the DPS kind of like a 50 attack power for 4 hours rather than adding to the base DPS of the melee weapon, isn't that a defect, and thus an exploit if you knowingly use it? I'd like to see if we could have a trion rep comment on it, or can someone link to a post that a Trion rep had already commented?
    AP DPS is different from weapon DPS.
    Weapon DPS is literally three times more potent than AP dps.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PFalcon View Post
    AP DPS is different from weapon DPS.
    Weapon DPS is literally three times more potent than AP dps.
    But what I'm saying is the action does not match the description, meaning either the description is wrong or the action applied is bugged. If it's the latter, then the bug is known and therefor using it is an exploit.

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    But what I'm saying is the action does not match the description, meaning either the description is wrong or the action applied is bugged. If it's the latter, then the bug is known and therefor using it is an exploit.
    Doesn't take Bill Clinton to tell you that the way they've described AP's contribution to DPS in no way is false. We simply don't know what the words actually mean to the developers. They never said AP's contribution to DPS was the same as weapon DPS rating.

    Considering none of the DPS adjectives actually describe real DPS, the entire system is obfuscating smoke and mirrors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts