+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5 man bard

Shadowlander

Default 5 man bard

I searched through the forums but didn't find much related to playing a bard build for support in 5 mans. The raid sticky didn't help much as it is more everyone arguing then actually pointing out anything helpful. Never really did any pve stuff with a bard, just messed around with having fun in pvp for the most part.

What is or would be the build for bard? Do I take MM and stay at range or a melee soul and get up close and personal? Also, what rotation (if any) and/or tactics should I be using?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Koe

32 bard/13bd/21sin

or 32 bard/34mm or 32bard/14ranger/20mm if you want range
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Koe

Use your bard sigil/trinket, fervor, and I generally just keep MoR and DPS as usual-Heal when needed. The DPS loss from using the rest of the motifs is too great for a 5-man.
    Free music! It's legal!

I think there are really only 2 good bard builds:

51 bard-10mm-5RS which is the standard bard build and 32 bard-18assassin-16 bd.

For the 51 bard build, physical crit doesn't effect heal crits at all, so in general it's best to stack as much ap as possible. 10 MM lets you pick up the 25% ap boost and 5 RS boosts your ap by 15%.

That one is more of a raiding bard build, it's not very effective in 5 mans. Usually your best off going dps for 5 or 10 mans.

32 bard is what's called a battle bard, or:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Vf0G0z.0VRcx0b

Point of this build is to go deep enough for fervor and then use deadly strike. Then make a macro combo builder with precision, puncture, quick and keen strike. Deadly strike doubles the amount cadence hits for, and you can improve 3 cadences or throw in some other abilities.

When I play this build I go: Cadence - combo builder - Deadly strike as my usual rotation.

That build is ok in 10 mans and still a little too weak to play in 5 mans. It can be handy having runspeed and runspeed though, makes the dungeon go faster. Issue with the build is you have to go in melee.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post

For the 51 bard build, physical crit doesn't effect heal crits at all, so in general it's best to stack as much ap as possible. 10 MM lets you pick up the 25% ap boost and 5 RS boosts your ap by 15%.
    This is false.

That one is more of a raiding bard build, it's not very effective in 5 mans. Usually your best off going dps for 5 or 10 mans.
    It IS a raiding bard build. It is best off for 1 rogue to go Battlebard because they still put out 600-1200 DPS self buffed, along with minor heals with the potential for more(and fervor).

Point of this build is to go deep enough for fervor and then use deadly strike. Then make a macro combo builder with precision, puncture, quick and keen strike. Deadly strike doubles the amount cadence hits for, and you can improve 3 cadences or throw in some other abilities.

When I play this build I go: Cadence - combo builder - Deadly strike as my usual rotation.

That build is ok in 10 mans and still a little too weak to play in 5 mans. It can be handy having runspeed and runspeed though, makes the dungeon go faster. Issue with the build is you have to go in melee.
    NEVER EVER MACRO 2 2 CP attacks together.

I use 13 BD. Use Puncture in 1 rotation, Power Chord(not during DD buff) next. you use 1 2 CP builder per rotation, always make backstab hit during DD. If you want to use the higher BD build, just alternate precision and puncture.

Never use Cadence unless the healing is needed with the 32 bard build for 5/10mans.
    Free music! It's legal!

Actually phys crit greatly effects bard heals. Do a drastic test, cadence spam for 5 minutes with all AP gear, then cadence spam for 5 minutes with all phys crit gear. You'll see that phys crit makes a huge difference for bard heals.

That being said, it's still better to stack more AP lol. But phys crit DOES effect bard heals.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Physiclal crit effects cadence, nothing else. It does not effect coda of restoration or verse of vitality.

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    NEVER EVER MACRO 2 2 CP attacks together.

I use 13 BD. Use Puncture in 1 rotation, Power Chord(not during DD buff) next. you use 1 2 CP builder per rotation, always make backstab hit during DD. If you want to use the higher BD build, just alternate precision and puncture.

Never use Cadence unless the healing is needed with the 32 bard build for 5/10mans.
    Only if you like micromanaging. It's been proven time and time again that's it's best to macro everyone in one button. See Hoko spec...
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-30-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Koe

Physiclal crit effects cadence, nothing else. It does not effect coda of restoration or verse of vitality.
    You are wrong.

Only if you like micromanaging. It's been proven time and time again that's it's best to macro everyone in one button. See Hoko spec...
    Because adding 1 more key is hard, right? Battlebard literally only needs Cadence, 1 CP spammable, 2 CP builders(can macro these. Puncture first, power chord second), deadly strike, MoR, Riff, Virtuoso and CoR. 8 keys.

That is it.

Also, it's NOT best to macro everything, and hoko has said that himself.
    Free music! It's legal!

RIFT Guide Writer

Any bard build that lets you queue as bard works. Then use a dps build to clear the dungeon quickly.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Any bard build that lets you queue as bard works. Then use a dps build to clear the dungeon quickly.
    Depending on the makeup, battlebard is far superior to DPS.
    Free music! It's legal!

Sadly, when I queue BattleBard, I am usually number 1 DPS or 2nd at worst. Then I get people sending me tells to switch from Bard to DPS.

My response is, "When you beat my DPS as Bard, then I will listen to what you are saying."

Shadowlander

I think there are really only 2 good bard builds:

No Power Cord for battle bard? I assume the other 2cp abilities are enough and dont need it? Also I noticed no CoF so I assume we dont need to worry about AoE damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaylei View Post
    I searched through the forums but didn't find much related to playing a bard build for support in 5 mans. The raid sticky didn't help much as it is more everyone arguing then actually pointing out anything helpful. Never really did any pve stuff with a bard, just messed around with having fun in pvp for the most part.

What is or would be the build for bard? Do I take MM and stay at range or a melee soul and get up close and personal? Also, what rotation (if any) and/or tactics should I be using?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    zzzz..... don't listen to these guys argue about what the best bard spec is, just grab 51 bard/10mm/5rs or something like that....
    spam cadence, use your heal finisher when people are low hp and keep motifs up.
    When you're ready to raid and you want to be a dedicated bard for your guild, come back and read these guys bickering and find the spec that works best.

<Liquidus> Is selectively Recruiting for HK Progression. 3/11 HK, T1 Content cleared.

Why do people use 10mm as bard? Cadence doesnt proc the 25% ap according to my tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    Why do people use 10mm as bard? Cadence doesnt proc the 25% ap according to my tests.
    It most certainly does; just tested. And no, it's not just autoattacks sneaking in between laggy cadences.

Only on the first cadence tick though.
    Last edited by Scrumdiddly; 10-30-2011 at 01:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast