+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need major advice for majorly lost rogue.

Lam
    Soulwalker

Default Need major advice for majorly lost rogue.

apparently i have no idea what i'm doing. love my cleric to death, but i made a rogue to get a break from having to babysit pug warfronts. made level 50 and pvp rank 2 in like 2 weeks, but i'm still green as grass

spec'd 51 assassin, 10 bard, 5 riftstalker. i didn't follow any guides, advice, anything. just kept spending points in whatever made best "common sense" to me playing a new class. what i've found, and why i'm posting:

1. my spec is actually able to kill elite mobs easier than my cleric with dps spec 'cause i dodge so much. BUT.. when i'm helping a lower level person pve quest, i'm way better on my cleric. cleric is just dot dot dot dot aoe = 10 dead mobs. rogue = running around like a crackhead, struggling to keep the mobs off the noob. noob ends up dying. i obviously don't know how to handle multiple critters on the rogue

2. it's impossible for me to kill people in warfronts as easily as my cleric gets killed by a rogue (so i'm obviously doing something wrong here)

3. i'm not a fan of huge macros. i have like 40 hotkeys set up. i want to know down to a tenth of a second why my toon is using which skill. i don't want to use huge macros and play a class that relies on spamming 2 buttons, so if that's what a rogue really is in this game, someone tell me, so i can shelf the thing. i'm a fan of immersing myself in a game, and if winning the game requires less keystrokes than playing PacMan, i'll go play PacMan

4. i'm NOT going to play an archer in this game. i already know it's going to bore the hell out of me (old Asheron's Call, DAoC vet)

i need to improve everything i'm doing with this toon. please ask, help, tell me to **** away, whatever

;)

1. I'm suprised your spec can kill more than 1 or 2 mobs without needing to drink.

2. No rogue can solo kill a properly played / specced cleric by himself period

3.use macros they are great

4.Sorry duder! Trion doesn't want rogues to live more than 2 seconds in melee range so you are pretty much shoe horned into being an archer in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Lam
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    1. I'm suprised your spec can kill more than 1 or 2 mobs without needing to drink.

2. No rogue can solo kill a properly played / specced cleric by himself period

3.use macros they are great

4.Sorry duder! Trion doesn't want rogues to live more than 2 seconds in melee range so you are pretty much shoe horned into being an archer in pvp.
    1. maybe my toon is bugged, but the 1v1 pve is ridiculously easy

2. jeebus, i might be terribad, and you sound a little jaded, but that sig of yours make you look like a child molester, and that makes me afraid of your advice

Well at the risk of taking my advice try this for pve and tell me how you like it

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...VuzuhR.xbdudzM

#show Puncture
    cast Puncture
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike
    cast Expose Weakness
    cast reprisal

AOE macro
    #show rift disturbance
    cast rift disturbance
    cast twin strike
    cast reprisal

Blinks:
    #show Shadow Blitz
    cast Shadow Blitz
    cast Shadow Assault
    cast Shadow Stalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Lam
    Soulwalker

is that just for straight-up pve farming?

the lack of improved stealth (on a rogue) seems odd

Shadowlander

1. Try something like this spec. This is close to what I use for soloing dailies and Chronicles. The basic idea is to mix mitigation/self healing and dps. (Its basically a bastard version of the Blink Blade which you can find a plethora of guides for). Basically use your 3 blinks (Shadow Assault/Strike/Stalk) to keep up Rift Barrier and Ruthless Stalker buffs. Puncture Keen/Quick/Precision Strike for Combo Point generation, Deadly Strike for finisher. Keeping up Annihilate when chaining mobs ain't a bad idea either. For AoE you have Rift Disturbance and Shadow Strike. Opening up on a pack with Rift Disturbance should help you keep the mobs aggroed. Always remember to kill the mobs with 5 combo points on them, this will heal you for 30% of your health.

EDIT* Seems like Zyzyx beat me to it.

The major problem with your spec for what you want to use it for is that it completely lacks AoE. Sin heavy is good for PvP and can make a very good ST dps build (Assstalker/Sinstalker), but wont survive soloing or larger groups.

2. A high prestige cleric is nearly impossible to kill for a rogue solo. That being said, try some different builds, find one that works for you.

3. All builds can be played without macros, macro are simply there to make things easier. I really didn't use macros until I started raiding (made it easier to pay attention to mechanics rather than staring at my skill bar). Playing without them is obviously more work, but certaily possible if that is your playstyle.

4. 51 MM is the flavor of the month, but their are other dps builds that work well enough (NB, BlinkBlade, Assstalker, Ranged Sabo, ect...)
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 10-29-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Other than a main spam button, common on all 4 callings even clerics. And in some builds a finisher macro for a ranged and melee range fiisher... almost nothing else as a rogue is macro-able and if it is it's far less than optimal to do so. I don't play any pvp spec with less than 20 buttons I'm constantly using.

So to put it bluntly, no this is not a macro'd class like shaman/driud/inquis dps.
    Inb4hoko1buttonmacro. He's refering to pvp.
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 10-29-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

+ Reply to Thread