+ Reply to Thread

Thread: problems with elites

Soulwalker

Default problems with elites

So last night I was in gloamwood at lvl32 looking to close the higher level rifts for magma crystals for my dailies. I was using a bard ranger build for the extra heals on the pet. When I got to the last stage the elite wrecked my pet and me, was like I had no healing going at all.

Now I'm just getting back into game after maybe two or so months away. When I had left I was able to solo the elite trees in gloamwood at level 25. Did they nerf bard healing? If so what spec should I be using to solo elites at this level? Thanks in advance.

You met the new fire/earth rift elite. Quite difficult, the fire one my advice is to avoid or interrupt its ability.

Soulwalker

Well that's not it. In scarwood reach I'm 36 and tried to ki the giant gormock and he destroyed the pet again with me healing it in bard. Same for the named scorpion. There has to be a better spec for elites. After the pet dies I'm toast next.

Would like helpful info please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohl View Post
    Would like helpful info please.
    Team up with someone.

Telaran

My advice for the fire rift is to just give up. As a marksman I can solo it if I have a healer, but since he only has rapture as his interruptable (which means no reliable silence, and honestly, you don't want to interrupt rapture since it's free dps), the instant fire ranged attack wrecks lives. If you have a soul shard and a pot available, feel free to use the strategy below and try to heal through his instant ranged.

The earth rift can easily be plowed through by a marksman/ranger rogue. Keep hasted shot as your finisher, use it on 5 combos, and slow him with crippling shot whenever it comes off of cooldown while running in a wide circle around the rift. Since the golem has no ranged attacks, you can wreck him and he'll never even catch up with you.

Depends if the elite is controllable or not,

If so you can run a ranger build... just let your pet die if it gets aggro and instant call it if you want. the important thing is to rotate crippling shot and adhesive bomb (sabo 0 point skill) so that the mob is always snared, from there it's simply a matter of staying out of range. If its a caster make sure to have enough into MM for deaden.

Now if the elite is NOT controllable, and some aren't. You'd be best off with a RS/sin/BD build. Attack with poison malice and side steps up (only helpful vs melee elite), and if it's a caster use blade tempo for more damage and make sure to weapon barage every cast you can for the 5 second silence. The leech poison heals and enduring brew along with the rs heal (when you leave combo points on a target) seem to be enough.

Good luck!
    (_(_)_) -Gambiit- (_(_)_)
    always watching

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
    Team up with someone.

Then what spec do folks use to solo stillmore elite quests? I know when I last played while on my mage I watched rogues solo those. I'd just like someone helpful to link a build that works. I don't frequent the boards much at all due to replies like this.

I type in rogue solo elite build and other searches similar and I get 10 pages of post from other class forums. Fail search function fails. Build links would be helpful. Not replies like the quoted one.

Sword of Telara

For single target killing, if the mob is stunnable/mezzable, the safest way to kill an elite is Sab/Bard. Mez -> load NON-DoT charges -> Det -> Repeat. I used that when I was a new lvl 50 to solo all those group dailies in SM.

Plane Touched

Then what spec do folks use to solo stillmore elite quests? I know when I last played while on my mage I watched rogues solo those. I'd just like someone helpful to link a build that works. I don't frequent the boards much at all due to replies like this.

I type in rogue solo elite build and other searches similar and I get 10 pages of post from other class forums. Fail search function fails. Build links would be helpful. Not replies like the quoted one.
    Well, for one they have more points to spend being lvl 50. I can solo elites in stillmoor using the blinkblade spec. I'm not sure if I could have pulled it off as a fresh 50, but I have a lot better gear now. When soloing I opt to go for less dmg and up my survivability by going into guardian phase instead of stalker phase. My dps is still pretty decent (900ish on chronicle bosses) but I gain a lot more in survivability. My rogue is in mostly t2 crafted with a few pieces of raid gear from GSB and DH, to give you an idea where I'm at.

For leveling, I wouldn't worry so much about elites. It's just not worth the trouble unless you have a partner. I went into ranger just enough for the better pet and then everything else in MM after that. It worked great.

Fail search fails.
    Fixed that for you and you're welcome.

Oh how I wish everyone who plays would read this:

The final boss (phase 6) in the new fire and the new earth rift are way OP.

It is best, unless you actually have a group (at least 4 people including yourself) to let Phase 5 TIMEOUT .. Then kill the 2 mobs, get credit for the rift and everyone is happy.

So tired of people running up to a rift i'm soloing, not letting 5 timeout, then when the two of us can't kill the final phase 6 boss, they run off like it's nothin' big. Meanwhile all the time i put into that rift is gone. (ranting, I know.. sorry)

With the event dailies all whacked, where one day it's easy, and the next each char needs 5 "travel stones" or whatever, it can be frustrating when you're a completionist and do the event dailies on 12 characters.

That's why, when someone ruins a rift i've been working on, it really irks me.

TL;DR - On new Earth/Fire Rifts:

1. Let Phase 5 TIMEOUT
    2. Kill the 2 mobs
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiddu Krishnamurti
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Take a look at Gyle's Beginner PvE Rogue Guide The spec covered in there may help with Elites, but honestly, while leveling up Elites are just really a pain.
    Last edited by Gyle; 10-30-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    Take a look at Gyle's Beginner PvE Rogue Guide The spec covered in there may help with Elites, but honestly, while leveling up Elites are just really a pain.

Yeah I agree. The earth and rifts I don't care much about as I already let it time out before the last phase. It's just trying to kill those rares in scarwood for the quest and achievement. In wow I worked my *** off on achievements, my toon was sitting at 13.8k when I quit. I kinda like to finish things as I go. Now I'm just saying screw it and not going to bother with them. Being a protectionist with these games stresses me out when I can't complete something and there are no groups to be found anymore at low levels. Such is the life of a late starter I guess.

I hope it gets better later on at 50 for my dailies.

+ Reply to Thread