+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Riftrox

Thread: Chaith's post 1.5 Hotfix #9 NB/RS (PVP)

Default Chaith's post 1.5 Hotfix #9 NB/RS (PVP)

Hello!

As per requested of a few Dayblind natives, I'm posting my tweaked NB/RS build, and macros, with explanations.

Here is the build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...k0z.VItkGog0ss

40nb / 26rs / 0bd is my flavor.

This build is usually similar to what most people came up with as soon as the changes to blackout were announced, it's not revolutionary, but slightly insightful compared to most popular 38nb / 28rs / 0pt builds.

Starting with an explanation of the Riftstalker distribution:

One talent that is extremely undervalued in the riftstalker tree in 22+ rs builds, is 1/5 points in Shadow Guard. Most people haven't even tested this, but for an ordinary P8 rogue, a 1pt investment gives a 5% reduction in physical damage taken with phantom blow, bumping it to 11%. It's inadvisable to invest any more, because the 2nd+ point is only 20% as effective as the first.

Other modifications you could make, based on your flavor / playstyle, would be shifting the 1pt from 'Hasted Time' or 'Rift Scavenger' into great fortitude, which can net you between 15-60 extra endurance. It does nothing to compensate for the damage you're taking, and as a P8, am generating a lot of kills and Rift Scavenger heals to compensate.

This build does sacrifice lingering flame, which does hurt, but it can adequately pick up all the goodies in the NB tree.

Nobody needs to sell the NB/RS playstyle since 1.5 launched, it's pretty much beast mode.

Moving on to Macros!

Nifty Macro that I stole from somebody clever:

#show Stalker Phase
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Stalker Phase
    cast [notactive] Guardian Phase

This shifts you from stalker to guardian. You gain the most benefit from this when you have a pocket healer that's struggling to keep you up, while you are tanking between 4-10 people. It'll also NEVER cancel your buff, which beats applying them manually and accidentally double-hitting it.

Single Target Builder Macro

#show dusk strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast dusk strike
    cast twilight force
    cast fiery chains
    cast phantom blow
    cast primal strike
    cast fiery spike

I have phantom blow positioned low in the macro because I value applying the snare from twilight force ASAP. I only changed this up due to encountering some extremely skilled chlorolock kiters. Phantom blow has a 10s cd, and a 20s duration, and doesn't hit that hard either.

AOE Fel Blades Spreading Macro

#show fiery chains
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast fiery chains
    cast rift disturbance
    cast weapon flare
    cast twilight force
    cast fiery spike

I use this primarily to pop Rift Disturbance whenever I need it, weapon flare is somewhat viable as dps, it hits about as hard as primal strike, but best used only as a means to spread your Fel Blades on multiple enemies. Once you're satisfied you're getting enough vamp heals, resume single target pressuring a high threat target.

Finisher Macro

Pretty standard:

#show scourge of darkness
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast scourge of darkness
    cast blazing strike
    cast flame thrust

Gap Closer Macro

Pretty standard: (Shadow Stalk I use as my only break free, so learn your limits, or use 0pt INF)

#show shadow assault
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast shadow assault
    cast shadow blitz
    cast shadow stalk

Other Macros

Make sure you're running a
    - 'cast @mouseover Rift Prison' macro
    - 'cast planar refuge then cast side steps macro (optional, I just find they are stronger when used together, and not a waste.)
    - cast Shadow shift, then shadow warp macro. You can escape an entire angry mob of 4-10 and mount up if you are fast at this, after wasting 30 seconds of their life. Winning!

Like I said before, there are so many different NB/RS flavors, and everyone has playstyle preferences.

Have fun, and bask in the glory of being basically unkillable! (While you can!)
    Last edited by Chaith; 10-22-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Stalker Phase needs to be disabled in PvP, it takes no skill to play with a massive crutch. Playing OP specs just shows a bad player.
    Last edited by Riftrox; 10-22-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftrox View Post
    Stalker Phase needs to be disabled in PvP, it takes no skill to play with a massive crutch. Playing OP specs just shows a bad player.
    I only equip my belt and rings in PvP combat, so I already do my part for game balance! But thank you for bringing up a valid point.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Chaith View Post
    I only equip my belt and rings in PvP combat, so I already do my part for game balance! But thank you for bringing up a valid point.
    Wearing Rings in a Knucklefight is evil! You must be a bad bad boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Almornik View Post
    Wearing Rings in a Knucklefight is evil! You must be a bad bad boy!
    Haha. The baddest!

Telaran

Nice writeup. I just switched my nb/rs back to 51 sin. But thinking of going back. I just really want at least one build with perma stealth....

If i switch back I'll try this one.
    Sunrest is the bestest!
    Hercol

Quote Originally Posted by cdale View Post
    Nice writeup. I just switched my nb/rs back to 51 sin. But thinking of going back. I just really want at least one build with perma stealth....

If i switch back I'll try this one.
    Thanks! 51sin builds shine when taking out solo, non-healers, but in virtually ever other situation involving a healer, or 2+ red nameplates, 51sin builds don't have the mitigation, heal siphoning, or any CDs to impact the battle as much. I do always keep a 51sin build for perma-stealth, and hidden veil benefits.

Also, the horizon for NB/RS seems even better with changes to RS in 1.6:

* Guardian Phase: Now gives the Rogue a chance to deflect attacks, reducing their damage taken based on their deflect rating. Deflect rating is increased by Dexterity.

Now, even more benefit for a quick swap to guardian phase, and increased by Dex, a stat that is stacked in PvP itemization.

* Annihilate: Now unlocks with 2 points spent in Riftstalker. No longer grants an Attack Power buff. Additional rank added.
    * Guarded Steel: Now unlocks with 6 points spent in Riftstalker. Changed to a passive ability. Increases armor by 30% after using Annihilate, lasts for 30 seconds.
    * Blighted Steel - New Ability: Unlocks with 8 points spent in Riftstalker. Increases Attack Power by 15% after using Annihilate, lasts 30 seconds.
    * Shadow Guard: Functionality changed. Reduces Physical damage taken by 1-5%. For every 400 points of base Armor, you take 1% less Physical damage, up to a maximum of 20% reduction.

In 1.6, a 1/5pt investment in Shadow Guard will let you mitigate a lot more than 5% physical. NB/RS hybrids will get a free guarded steel, to increase not only armor, but make your 1/5pt investment in Shadow Guard that much better.

* Rift Guard: Changed to a passive ability. All Plane Shift abilities and Annihilate trigger Rift Guard, absorbing 15% of all incoming damage for up to 50% of the Rogue's current maximum health. Lasts for 30 seconds.
    * Rift Barrier: Functionality changed. 20-60% of the damage Rift Guard absorbs is reflected back on the attacker.

Duration increased

Rift Disciple

Nice post, thanks.

Also, the horizon for NB/RS seems even better with changes to RS in 1.6:

* Guardian Phase: Now gives the Rogue a chance to deflect attacks, reducing their damage taken based on their deflect rating. Deflect rating is increased by Dexterity.

Now, even more benefit for a quick swap to guardian phase, and increased by Dex, a stat that is stacked in PvP itemization.

* Annihilate: Now unlocks with 2 points spent in Riftstalker. No longer grants an Attack Power buff. Additional rank added.
    * Guarded Steel: Now unlocks with 6 points spent in Riftstalker. Changed to a passive ability. Increases armor by 30% after using Annihilate, lasts for 30 seconds.
    * Blighted Steel - New Ability: Unlocks with 8 points spent in Riftstalker. Increases Attack Power by 15% after using Annihilate, lasts 30 seconds.
    * Shadow Guard: Functionality changed. Reduces Physical damage taken by 1-5%. For every 400 points of base Armor, you take 1% less Physical damage, up to a maximum of 20% reduction.

In 1.6, a 1/5pt investment in Shadow Guard will let you mitigate a lot more than 5% physical. NB/RS hybrids will get a free guarded steel, to increase not only armor, but make your 1/5pt investment in Shadow Guard that much better.
    Update: If these changes on PTS go live in 1.6: 1) Free guarded steel on annihilate, 2) For every 400 pts of base armor, take 1% less physical damage, my p8 rogue will take 14.0225 less physical damage for a 1/5pt investmetn in shadow guard. This is potentially OP and needs a change. Also, it is bugged, and increases the reduction by armour bonuses, NOT base like it suggests (guarded steel increases it).

What Trion should do (I will laugh if they don't do something similar to this):

Shadow Guard: Functionality changed. Reduces Physical damage taken by 1-5%. For every 1200/1000/800/600/400 points of base armor, you take 1% less physical damage, up to a maximum of 20% reduction.
    Last edited by Chaith; 10-23-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Ascendant

Update: If these changes on PTS go live in 1.6: 1) Free guarded steel on annihilate, 2) For every 400 pts of base armor, take 1% less physical damage, my p8 rogue will take 14.0225 less physical damage for a 1/5pt investmetn in shadow guard. This is potentially OP and needs a change. Also, it is bugged, and increases the reduction by armour bonuses, NOT base like it suggests (guarded steel increases it).

What Trion should do (I will laugh if they don't do something similar to this):

Shadow Guard: Functionality changed. Reduces Physical damage taken by 1-5%. For every 1200/1000/800/600/400 points of base armor, you take 1% less physical damage, up to a maximum of 20% reduction.
    who knows lol
    Last edited by Undrsiege; 10-23-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Shameless bump

Just to clarify, the change to Shadow Guard will only affect base armor, which I interpret as unbuffed armor. I don't think things like Guarded Steel will have an effect on it. That said, if you have ~3k armor unbuffed, you're looking at 8% physical mitigation with 1/5 Shadow Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahax View Post
    Just to clarify, the change to Shadow Guard will only affect base armor, which I interpret as unbuffed armor. I don't think things like Guarded Steel will have an effect on it. That said, if you have ~3k armor unbuffed, you're looking at 8% physical mitigation with 1/5 Shadow Guard.
    That's what it says, but in my tests, when guarded steel is up on live, my phantom blow reduces physical damage taken by 6% with a 1/5pt. Without, 5%. That's why I referred to it as bugged. Test it yourself!

That's what it says, but in my tests, when guarded steel is up on live, my phantom blow reduces physical damage taken by 6% with a 1/5pt. Without, 5%. That's why I referred to it as bugged. Test it yourself!
    Oh, well in that case...shhhh.

this build is ****ing mad opness thanks mate!!!

+ Reply to Thread