+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Machine Gunner

Default The Machine Gunner

Ever since I saw lingering flame in nightblades tree and opportunist in rangers tree i've wanted to create a rogue build that almost only fires finishers one after another in a machine gun fashion.

I believe I have crafted a way to do that. 25 Assassin/38 Nightblade/3X

In my build the 3 points go into saboteur for 9% dex and a slow bomb, but other viable places to put the 3 points would be into sin for stealth speed and permanent stealth, enduring brew in sin, last point of fire and death attunement in nightblade, 3 Riftstalker for teleport and 9% ap, ranger for 3% crit...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...V.ihxobVxMss.c

Buff with: Baneful Touch, leeching poison (Or fell blades if nobody else is running vm or fb for burning down healers), lethal poison

Basically you Open from stealth with a dark malady or a smother/paralyzing strike and use dusk to dawn and scourge of darkness, then cast a fiery spike onto the target and spam your finisher button until they die.

Your finisher macro looks like this:

#show Flame Thrust
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Fiery Chains
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Blazing Strike
    cast Flame Thrust
    stopcasting

Fiery chains can net you up to a full rack of combo points every 6 seconds depending on number of targets which lowers your next finishers energy cost and increases it's damage, making it worthwhile to include, dusk strike hits hard and generates 2 combo points, if you're in melee range it's worth it to be used every 10 seconds.

Opinions, critiques, suggestions, comments?
    I place a black candle on your chest,
    the path of night is manifest.

Sempresno Level 50 P6 Rogue/Marcosias Level 45 Warrior/Diclonius Level 26 Mage/Sumona Level 23 Cleric - Banished - Dayblind

does it work?
    Blakjak
    Liquidus - Defiant - Keenblade

Message me in the game if you want to chat...

Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirdanile View Post
    Ever since I saw lingering flame in nightblades tree and opportunist in rangers tree i've wanted to create a rogue build that almost only fires finishers one after another in a machine gun fashion.
    Probably fun to play but its wishful thinking to think with that build and that rotation that you'll do great dps in a raid. None of the attacks do that much damage and all your builders have cd's.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by WriteThemWrong View Post
    Probably fun to play but its wishful thinking to think with that build and that rotation that you'll do great dps in a raid. None of the attacks do that much damage and all your builders have cd's.
    A. It looks like it's more geared toward PvP. Fell Blades and Vampiric Munitions are far more useful in PvP than PvE, with the exception of certain fights. Since the OP mentioned those, I would assume PvP is the intended use.

B. Flame Thrust automatically casts a Fiery Spike if traited properly. That's your spam ability in the build. As the OP said, you start with a Fiery Spike to get a combo point and DoT on the target, then spam the macro. If the cooldowns are available, they'll get cast. If they're not, the Flame Thrust finisher fires off, consuming the combo points. As long as the Fiery Spike DoT is still active on the target, the Flame Thrust will also cast another Fiery Spike, which renews the DoT and generates a combo point, making the whole cycle self-perpetuating. If you miss or the Fiery Spike DoT drops, you just hit Fiery Spike again.

The theory seems sound. The downside is, you'll almost never be casting Flame Thrust at full combo points, so it will cost more energy and the finishers will do less damage. So less damage than a properly micromanaged Nightblade spec, and quite possibly energy-starved. But probably just as annoying as a Marksman in PvP and you really can't beat spamming one button for situational awareness purposes.

Work or not, nice to see rogues turning their backs to the cookie cutter builds out there. I'm playing sab/sin in pvp now just cuz
    Ramahaz, An Opiate Addicted Bard on Shadefallen
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there." L.P. Hartley

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
    Work or not, nice to see rogues turning their backs to the cookie cutter builds out there. I'm playing sab/sin in pvp now just cuz
    I've been desperately trying to get different specs to work.. but it's quite hard to find something innovative! I do roll a 16 BD 27 Sabo 23 RS build, cuz it's something noone uses and it hits fairly hard, but it's not the asskicking machine I'm looking for
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Quote Originally Posted by Pendu View Post
    I've been desperately trying to get different specs to work.. but it's quite hard to find something innovative! I do roll a 16 BD 27 Sabo 23 RS build, cuz it's something noone uses and it hits fairly hard, but it's not the asskicking machine I'm looking for
    i got some fun stuff didn't see any interest in my thread so far so ill keep them to myself:P
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    i got some fun stuff didn't see any interest in my thread so far so ill keep them to myself:P
    You do got great ideas!
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

After some testing I can actually say that this works fairly well, not as good as other nightblade specs, however the spike is really sick so it's more pvp oriented than pve, however running around in the daily area I was killing things before they could reach me, and i've seen flame thrust spike up to 800 and fiery spikes to 200, another main point of the build is that weapon enchantments proc a LOT and actually are meaningful.

Not as good as my usual nb spec but it does bring a lot to the table.

Sempresno Level 50 P6 Rogue/Marcosias Level 45 Warrior/Diclonius Level 26 Mage/Sumona Level 23 Cleric - Banished - Dayblind

also it is not energy starved until you have to wait for dusk to dawn level energy

+ Reply to Thread