+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [WIP] Elanael's complete guide to being a solid PvE rogue

RIFT Guide Writer

Default [WIP] Elanael's complete guide to being a solid PvE rogue

Guide to being a solid PvE rogue (1.5.)

Written by Elanael

IF SOMEONE OF THE TRION STAFF HAPPENS TO READ THIS, PLEASE FIX IT SO I CAN EDIT MY POSTS AFTER 5 MINUTES! THANK YOU

1. Overview

- 1. Overview
    - 2. Introduction
    - 3. DPS
    -- 3.1. Marksman
    --- 3.1.1. Suggested Spec
    --- 3.1.2. Skills Overview
    --- 3.1.3. Macro's
    --- 3.1.4. Rotation
    --- 3.1.5. Gear
    --- 3.1.6. Tips & tricks
    - 4. Support
    -- 4.1. Bard
    --- 4.1.1. Suggested Spec
    --- 4.1.2. Skills Overview
    --- 4.1.3. Macro's
    --- 4.1.4. Rotation
    --- 4.1.5. Gear
    --- 4.1.6. Tips & tricks (guide ends here for now, tank section & the follow ups are being worked on)
    - 5. Tank
    -- 5.1. Riftstalker
    --- 5.1.1. Suggested Spec
    --- 5.1.2. Skills Overview
    --- 5.1.3. Macro's
    --- 5.1.4. Rotation
    --- 5.1.5. Gear
    --- 5.1.6. Tips & tricks
    - 6. UI Setup
    -- 6.1. UI Layout
    -- 6.2. Keybindings
    - 7. Raids
    - 8. Q&A

2. Introduction

Hey there and welcome to my thread. In this guide I will do my best to explain you the wonders of being a rogue, which is probably one of the most versatile classes in this game. As a rogue you can cover 3 specific roles, being attack, support & tank. I will go over all these roles seperately and provide you with eventual tips I have for playing them.

I have noticed most "guides" on these forums are just a plain & simple list of the macro's & rotation. If you are looking for an actual guide rather than a compilation of stuff that leaves all the important questions open, read on!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a guide to help the community in general, not a guide to people who have already mastered the specs and are looking for that last +10 DPS. If you have a question about DPS pinching, feel free to ask in this thread or ask me in a private message.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: Feedback is always appreciated! Remember, I'm only a person just like you, and we all make mistakes. If you see a problem or have a suggestion, feel free to tell me, together we are helping the community.

IMPORTANT NOTE #3: If you are planning on trolling this thread, don't even bother... You will be rewarded with a plain and simple ignore. Trolling is nothing to be proud of. People will generally consider you more of a prick instead of the "internet hero" you think you are, beware.

IMPORTANT NOTE #4: English is not my native language, so please don't call the grammar ****'s on me

3. DPS

Ok so let's get started with DPS. From what I've seen in this game it's important to dish out all the damage you possibly can, which starts ofcourse with a good build. I am not saying these are the best possible specs there are, but they do act as a good reference.

Also, remember that DPS should never be picked above awareness. Sure, doing all the damage you possibly can is great, but PLEASE, paying attention to the mechanics is far more important than doing the most DPS. You might be doing the most DPS at some point yeah, but if you end up dead because of it, then what's even the point?

3.1. Marksman

First of all, marksman, which I can call my favourite soul in the game without a doubt. It is extremely versatile when it comes to getting across the field quickly, and can truly shine when it comes to DPS numbers. This will be my only DPS build for now, but to be honest, once you have played marksman you don't even really need to play any other specs. Melee DPS builds are just annoying to use & cleaves can be a pain ;)

If you are still looking for a good melee dps build I suggest you to look into blinkblade or a nightblade variation. I don't have alot of knowledge about these specs so I won't even bother trying to explain them. But look around on the forums, there's tons of guides there for you to use

3.1.1. Suggested Spec

51 Marksman / 15 Ranger / 0 Riftstalker (souls with 0 points in them can be switched around according to the situation) http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...tRqdAudR.VMs0u

1 Marksman should have this build in a raid situation as it provides you with a good armor debuff that increases the damage done by your fellow raid members.

If someone else already packed up Piercing Shot, replace it with 2 points in Bestial Fury and 2 in Bolster. You may wonder, why take Bolster? It's a defensive ability right? Well you are completely right, it is. But if someone else already picked up Piercing Shot and you do it aswell with only 2 points in it, you will overwrite the good main one, thus resulting in a DPS loss. Defensive abilities aren't always bad (build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfNp.EGtRqdAudR.Vrsb)

3.1.2. Skills Overview

Shadow Fire (opener): I don't think anyone would call me out if I call this the best possible opener there is. It has excellent damage by itself, increases your damage with ranged weapons by 13% (25 seconds!!!) and if paired with a Predatory Soulstone it even gives you a 100 attack power!

Rapid Fire Shot (finisher): Shoots 1-5 arrows according to your combo points. Main finisher, use it on cooldown.

Deadeye Shot (finisher): Shoots 1 deadly arrow. Hits alot, but requires you to stand still. Secondary finisher, use it when Rapid Fire Shot is on cooldown and when you are standing completely still.

Head Shot (finisher): If you are using the build with 2 points in Bestial Fury you will want to use this whenever your buff is starting to run out.

Hasted Shot (finisher): Finisher that increases movement speed by 30%. Use this whenever you are on the move and can't stand still for Deadeye Shot, increased movement speed is pro.

Crippling Shot (builder): Awards 1 combo point and slows the enemy by 50% for 6 seconds. Most bosses are immune to cripple, but it still does decent damage so it might be worth it to put it in your main attack macro.

Piercing Shot (builder): Awards 1 combo point and as I already stated above it puts a debuff on your target, reducing armor value. If you decided to spec into this you might want to add it to your macro aswell, as it's a solid main attack by itself.

Quick Shot (builder): Awards 1 combo point and puts a bleed on your target. This is your actual main attack, use it when Piercing Shot, Crippling Shot & Shadow Fire are on cooldown.

Splinter Shot (builder): Awards 2 combo points and puts a bleed on your target. Crappy cast time so I don't recommend using it. Only use this if you are a fan of bleeds.

Empowered Shot (builder): Awards 2 combo points, but has a pretty long casting time. This should only be used if you have a marksman synergy crystal along with 4 pieces of T1 raid gear. It's a good attack, but casting time makes it meh.

Swift Shot (builder): Awards 1 combo point and provides you with a stacking runspeed buff. Should only be used if you need to get out of somewhere quickly, as a finisher cancels the movement speed buff.

Barbed Shot (builder): Crap, don't use it. It's not even worth it if the enemy is moving.

Strafe (builder): Absolutely awesome skill. It's a channeled skill (4 seconds) that can be used while moving, and it gives you a combo point each second. So that's basically a free finisher right there. Use this on cooldown or if the encounter has any burn phases, save it for then.

Lightning Fury (AoE opener): This along with Shadow Fire should be your opener for AoE situations. Use it on cooldown, as it gives some nice damage by itself. (pair this up with Fan Out in your macro)

Fan Out (AoE): Main AoE attack. Make sure Lightning Fury debuff & Shadow Fire buff are up for insane damage.

Crossfire (AoE): Only use this if you are actually using it for knockbacks. It does less damage than fan out, and can be quite annoying for tanks if this is used at a close range.

Deaden (control): Interrupts your target and silences it for 5 seconds. If the fight requires an interrupt, don't be afraid to use it.

Repelling Shot (control): Knocks back 3 targets that are next to eachother. Useful for getting out of sticky situations.

Static Shot (control): Snare that roots the enemy in place for 5 seconds. Main snare, use it for obvious reasons.

On the Double (movement): 50% increased movement speed for 5 seconds. Also removes any movement impairing effects and makes you immune to them for 5 seconds.

Retreat (movement): Makes you leap back 20 meters. If you're a good aimer, use it for getting around. If the encounter involves any bosses pulling you into melee range, use Retreat for leaping back again.

Eradicate (utility): Plain & simple purge. Removes 2 buffs from the target.

Quick Reload (utility): Instantly recharges all your cooldowns. Use this after Strafe, Rapid Fire Shot and Bull's Eye have been used for some nice burst damage. Can also be used to recharge your movement abilities.

Bull's Eye (combat buff): Causes your next marksman ability to be a critical hit. Combine this with Deadeye Shot for a 100% crit chance.

Predatory Instincts (buff): Increases attack power by 46, keep this up at all times.

Fleeting Instincts (buff): Increases out of combat movement speed by 15%. Use this when moving between encounters.

Electrified Munitions (buff): Weapon enchantment that makes your ranged attacks deal additional air damage. This should be your main weapon enchantment along with Silver Tip Munitions.

Silver Tip Munitions (buff): Weapon enchantment that puts a stacking debuff on the target, increasing damage done by 2% for 10 seconds (10 stacks max).

Vampiric Munitions (buff): Weapon enchantment that has a 20% chance of putting a debuff on the target that decreases the healing taken by 50% and returns 50% of that healing back to yourself. Useful in encounters that require you to split off from the main team or as a last stand against some mobs.

Rending Munitions (buff): Weapon enchantment that makes you ignore 25% of target's armor. I don't really use this as Electrified & Silver Tip Munitions have a better DPS gain.

Call: Dire Wolf (pet): Standard pet, nothing special. Only use it if you have to squeeze out every inch of DPS possible, as pets can be quite annoying to handle.

Dismiss Pet: Mr. Obvious wants you to look at the ability name.

Shadow Shift (blink): Plane shifts the rogue 15m forward. Use this for getting around.

3.1.3. Macro's

Main Attack - Piercing Shot build

Code:
    #show Shadow Fire
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadow Fire
    cast Empowered Shot
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    Main Attack - Head Shot build

Code:
    #show Shadow Fire
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadow Fire
    cast Empowered Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    Finisher

Code:
    #show Rapid Fire Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Deadeye Shot
    cast Hasted Shot
    AoE

Code:
    #show Lightning Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Fury
    cast Fan Out
    Deadeye Crit

Code:
    #show Bull's Eye
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Bull's Eye
    cast Deadeye Shot
    Burst DPS

Code:
    #show Quick Reload
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Quick Reload
    cast Strafe
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    Focus Purge

Code:
    #show Eradicate
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus eradicate
    Focus Rupt

Code:
    #show Deaden
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus deaden
    Target Number

Code:
    target @mark #
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    Target Focus

Code:
    target @focus
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    Target Mouse Over

Code:
    target @mouseover
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    Specific Target

Code:
    target <targetnamehere>
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    Main Tank Assist

Code:
    assist <maintankhere>
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    3.1.4. Rotation

Single target (no cooldowns) - Piercing Shot build

main attack (shadow fire 2cp) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (piercing shot 1cp) -> finisher (rapid fire shot) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (crippling shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> main attack (piercing shot 1cp) -> finisher (deadeye shot) -> repeat

Single target (no cooldowns) - Head Shot build

Opener: main attack (shadow fire 2cp) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (crippling shot 1cp) -> finisher (head shot) RE-OPEN ONCE HEAD SHOT BUFF IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT

Rotation: main attack (shadow fire 2cp) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> finisher (rapid fire shot) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (crippling shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> finisher (deadeye shot)

Burst rotation

main attack (shadow fire 2cp) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (piercing shot 1cp) -> finisher (rapid fire shot) -> strafe (5cp) -> bull's eye -> finisher (deadeye shot) -> burst macro (quick reload & strafe (5cp)) -> finisher (rapid fire shot) -> main attack (shadow fire 2cp) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (piercing shot 1cp) -> bull's eye -> finisher (deadeye shot)

AoE rotation

main attack (shadow fire 2cp) -> AoE (lightning fury) -> AoE (fan out) REAPPLY SHADOW FIRE WHEN ITS ABOUT TO RUN OUT

3.1.5. Gear

Focus on all dps goodness, dexterity, crit, AP, every improvement you can get. Don't forget the predatory soulstone on your sigil, it increases your damage by a ton!

Crit vs. AP: I think it's wise to aim for the crit soft cap first (45%), then start stacking as much attack power as you can.

Remember, this is completely up to your own preference and there is no such thing as a best setup. If you are a fan of alot of crits and are willing to sacrifice some stable damage for some big spikes, pick crit. If you want to be "sure" of the damage you do, pick attack power... Or a combination of both ofcourse ;)

My setup: http://i56.tinypic.com/2u6e5c6.jpg

A good overview of possible upgrades: http://riftupgrades.com/roguedps/

3.1.6. Tips & tricks

1. Keep Shadow Fire buff up, I heard it makes you instant awesome.

2. Keep Head Shot buff up, I heard it makes you even more awesome.

3. You don't belong in melee range, unless the encounter requires you to stack up.

4. Keep track of all the mob's health, stuff dying simultaniously is something to aim for.

5. Retreat back out if a boss pulls you in.

6. Stand still where possible, your damage is buffed that way.

7. Shadow Shift for the obvious reasons.

8. Look back at number 1 & 2.

9. Be a boss, don't go all out when the tanks haven't generated enough threat yet.

10. Switch around your 0pt soul according to the encounter. Saboteur for snare, riftstalker for movement, bladedancer for dodge, infiltrator for a break free, ...

4. Support

A support is mandatory in some encounters. They provide you with raid-wide buffs, some healing and even some CC. Rogues are awesome for playing this role, but it can be annoying to play if you don't have alot of knowledge of playing it. Read on if you wonna learn how to become a proper bard!

4.1. Bard

The rogue's one support role. Bard is one of the more fun souls in this game, I mean seriously, who doesn't like playing songs for everyone? The bard can provide the raid with raid-wide buffs and dish out awesome HPS numbers if used correctly.

4.1.1. Suggested spec

51 Bard / 8 Nightblade / 7 Ranger http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...dqiqskqz.Vh.VM

4.1.2. Skills Overview

Cadence (builder): Channeled builder that generates up to 3 combo points. Use this when you are standing still. Best builder to use because it provides the raid with some healing aswell.

Power Chord (builder): 2 combo point builder that should be used whenever you are on the move. Pair this up with quick shot so you aren't losing combo points when moving.

Riff (builder): Instant 5 combo point builder. Try to save this for moments where it's actually needed. Combine this with Virtuoso & Coda of Restoration or Coda of Fury/Wrath for some nice burst heals/damage.

Quick Shot (builder): 1 combo point builder that can be used while moving. Pair this with Power Chord.

Coda of Fury (finisher): AoE finisher that hits up to 8 enemies. Only use damage finishers if the party doesn't need any healing. Bards aren't made for super high DPS, so don't even try to.

Coda of Wrath (finisher): Single target finisher. Only use if no healing required.

Coda of Restoration (finisher): Your main finisher. Heals up to 5 raid members for a fair amount. I cannot stress this enough... If the encounter is not a DPS check, healing > damage!

Coda of Distress (finisher): Debuff that makes the target and the mobs around your target take 7% more damage from non-physical attacks. This should be ignored most of the time, as there are alot better abilities just like this. Remember, don't overwrite the good ones!

Coda of Cowardice (finisher): Debuff that makes the target and the mobs around your target take 5% more damage from physical attacks. Same thing as above, only use if no other similar buffs are available in the raid.

Motif of Bravery (motif): Increases Attack & Spell Power of the whole raid. Should be kept up at all times.

Motif of Focus (motif): Increases Phys & Spell Crit of the whole raid. Should be kept up at all times.

Motif of Grandeur (motif): Increases healing received by 5% for the whole raid. Should be kept up at all times.

Motif of Tenacity (motif): Reduces damage taken by 5% for the whole raid. Should be kept up at all times.

Motif of Regeneration (motif): Heals half the raid for a fair amount every 3 seconds. Should be kept up at all times.

Motif of Encouragement (motif): Beware, should not be used if you are afraid of animals.

Motif of Renewal (motif): I really don't see the point in this. Motif of Regeneration heals half the raid for the same amount of health, so better use that instead.

Anthem of Competence (buff): Anthem that increases the movement speed of the raid by 20%. Use this when the encounter requires you to move around alot. This is the mostly used anthem when there is a chloro in the raid, as he can provide the raid with living energy for an ability cost reduction.

Anthem of Fervor (buff): Anthem that reduces the ability cost by 12%. Use this only if there isn't a chloro in the raid or when you need every inch of reduction for let's say a DPS check.

Anthem of Defiance (buff): Anthem that increases the magical resistances of the raid by 40. This should be used if the encounter has all sorts of non-physical splash (random damage) on the raid.

Anthem of Glory (buff): Anthem that increases the armor value of the raid. I don't really use this alot, but feel free to use if you think it fits the encounter.

Fanfare of Knowledge (buff): Fanfare that increases the intelligence & wisdom of the raid. Should be kept up at all times. Read in the tips & tricks section if you want to know how to split buffs.

Fanfare of Power (buff): Fanfare that increases the strength & dexterity of the raid. Tips & tricks

Fanfare of Vigor (buff): Fanfare that increases the endurance of the raid. Can be quite useful when split on tanks, but in most raids this is already covered by the archon.

Predatory Instincts (buff): Increases your attack power by 46. Should be kept up at all times.

Hellfire Blades (buff): Weapon enchantment that has a chance to proc fire damage. Doesn't really do much, but since you don't have a weapon enchantment, you might want to use it.

Verse of Joy (combat buff): Verse that gives the raid 50 mana, 5 power, 5 energy or 5 charge per second (according to the class you are). Use this about 1 minute into the encounter, and then use it on cooldown.

Virtuoso (combat buff): Makes your codas not consume any combo points for the next 15 seconds. Save this for burn phases or when the raid needs ALOT of healing. Helpful if you pair this up with Riff and Coda of Restoration.

Verse of Vitality (healing): The only direct AoE heal in this soul. Try to use this after spike damage to help topping up the raid again.

Verse of Captivation (control): Simple CC that lasts for 8 seconds. Use this if you want to avoid something from hitting the raid (bosses are immune ofcourse).

Verse of Fascination (control): AoE CC that lasts for 8 seconds. Useful in case of big aoe packs that haven't been picked up by the tank.

Verse of Rebirth (utility): Out of combat resurrect. Pair this up with a raid talking macro so people know who you are ressing.

4.1.3. Macro's

Resurrection

Code:
    #show Verse of Rebirth
    suppressmacrofailures
    raid >> Ressing ---> %T! <<
    cast Verse of Rebirth
    Main Attack (this will cast cadence when standing still and power chord & quick shot when you're on the move)

Code:
    #show Power Chord
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Cadence
    cast Power Chord
    cast Quick Shot
    Verse of Joy calling

Code:
    #show Verse Of Joy
    raid >> Casting VoJ, 50mana/5power/5energy/5charge per second! <<
    cast Verse Of joy
    Burst Single Target

Code:
    #show Virtuoso
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Riff
    cast Virtuoso
    cast Coda of Wrath
    Burst AoE

Code:
    #show Virtuoso
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Riff
    cast Virtuoso
    cast Coda of Fury
    Burst Heal

Code:
    #show Virtuoso
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Riff
    cast Virtuoso
    cast Coda of Restoration
    One Button All Motifs

Ok, this is kind of a long one and I don't feel like typing it again. I will just quote the guide I have put on my guild forum.

I've been experimenting a bit with macro's to try to figure out how to be able to use several skills without a cooldown (such as bard motifs) on a single button and here's what I came up with... It's not perfect, but it is quite handy in some situations. You can't "hammer" the button, as it will just cycle through the different keybinds, and won't cast the skills properly, so you will have to wait for the GCD to finish, or it won't cast.

First of all, you will need a basic understanding of how to export & import keybindings. This works like this:

- Type /exportkeybindings <keybindnamehere> to export your current keybindings to your Rift game folder
    - Type /importkeybindings <keybindnamehere> to import the keybindings you have saved in your Rift folder

Now, onto the real deal. The idea is to put several keybindings for your skills and abuse the import function to gain control of the game.

First thing you have to do is put all your skills you want on the button right next to eachother (not really required, but makes it a bit easier), and assign the button you want to use (e.g. F1) to the first skill on the list, let's say Motif of Bravery. Now that you've done this, export the keybindings and give them a proper name, in my case I just picked motif1. You have to do this for every single skill you want to use, so for the second skill, you assign your button on there and type /exportkeybindings motif2. Keep doing this until all the keybindings cover your whole "chain" (you can simply check this by importing the keybindings you have made and checking if the button you have assigned moves down the row)

Ok, now the macro's... Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to understand:

#show Motif of Bravery
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Motif of Bravery
    importkeybindings motif2

#show Motif of Focus
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Motif of Focus
    importkeybindings motif3

#show Motif of Tenacity
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Motif of Tenacity
    importkeybindings motif4

#show Motif of Regeneration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Motif of Regeneration
    importkeybindings motif5

#show Motif of Grandeur
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Motif of Grandeur
    importkeybindings motif1

Make sure you rename the skills so you can use the chain as you want, some of you may use a different motif order than I do.

As you can see, it will start off casting the first skill and will then switch to your second keybindings (hinthint, the button is on the second skill there) That way, you're cycling the button through your list, which makes chain casting skills without a cooldown a worry of the past, since one button can replace tons of them now ;)

I hope you all enjoyed, and that the macro's are working for everyone... If you have any questions, feel free to ask them ingame, I'd be happy to answer them
    All sorts of target macro's can be found in the DPS Macro section of this guide. Only thing you have to do is change the abilities around

4.1.4. Rotation

Well I have to admit, I don't really have a solid rotation as your rotation depends alot on the encounter itself. As a general rule of thumb, use cadence when you are standing still, and power chord & quick shot when moving around. Or just use my main attack macro which does it automatically for you.

Coda of Fury finisher for AoE damage and Coda of Wrath finisher for ST damage (but remember, healing > dps as a support when needed!)

Coda of Restoration finisher if your raid needs healing.

Maintain all the motifs.

Verse of Joy 1 minute into the fight, after that use it on cooldown.

Verse of Vitality if the raid needs an all-round AoE heal.

Rebuff raid members that have been resurrected. (NOTE: This removes all the split buffs, only use it when several people have been given a res!!)

4.1.5. Gear

As a bard you will have to focus on attack power, as it improves the healing (& damage ofcourse) of your abilities.

IMPORTANT: Healing essences (such as crystal vine & frozen deep one tear) DO work for a bard, infact they are the best essences to have. Every tick of cadence has a chance of applying it to someone in your raid, use them if you can! The best trinket to use is by far Sacred Heirloom of Eth, as it increases your healing aswell.

Crystal Vine: can be purchased from the Stillmoor Rare Planar Goods vendor (only 1 inscribed & a couple of planarite!)

Frozen Deep One Tear: can be purchased from the Iron Pine Peak Rare Planar Goods vendor (1 inscribed, couple of planarite). An improved version of this drops from the water raid rift.

My setup: http://i54.tinypic.com/rk273a.jpg

4.1.6. Tips & tricks

1. Switch around anthems according to the situation. A good example is Soulrender Zilas, where you use Anthem of Fervor when standing still and use Anthem of Competence for beam phase.

2. Splitting fanfare buffs: Piece of cake to do, buff the whole raid with Fanfare of Knowledge and let the warriors & rogues follow you behind a wall of some kind. Just make sure your view with the mages & clerics is obstructed and that warriors & rogues aren't. When you have done this, cast Fanfare of Power and voila, buffs split

3. Cadence > Power Chord, unless you are on the move.

4. Take some Philters or other potions of some kind. As a support you wonna make sure you keep your raid happy with all the buffs they can get.

5. When there are 2 bards in the raid (very unlikely to happen) you can use 2 Anthems at the same time.

6. When spike damage is incoming, save your combo points! If the spike damage occurs, instantly use Coda of Restoration for a nice healing boost.

7. Save your virtuoso for phases you actually need it! There's no point in wasting such a valuable cooldown just to get some quick DPS done. ONLY use it on burn phases & when the raid needs alot of healing, remember!

RIFT Guide Writer

Post reserved for future use.

RIFT Guide Writer

Post reserved for future use..

I don't feel like this post is long enough. Can you please elaborate further?

EDIT: Why reserve posts when you can't use them after 5 mins?
    EDIT2: Also, suggesting everyone use 51/15ranger when it is complicated and not mobile is kinda mean. They would probably perform better with a simpler dps spec like mandancer or 51/15sin
    Last edited by Zyzyx; 10-18-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post

Read the top of the guide, thank you.

And if this guide is too long for you, it's time for you to look at your own. Macro's, rotation, done. Questions that remain? All.

Please stop acting like you know anything from this game. Atleast I'm actually contributing to the community instead of making "guides" that already 20+ people have posted before you.

Btw, I still think your signature is creepy.

EDIT: "Also, suggesting everyone use 51/15ranger when it is complicated and not mobile is kinda mean. They would probably perform better with a simpler dps spec like mandancer or 51/15sin"

If you're calling marksman complicated you are doing something wrong. Read the thread before you post please. I recommend you to stick to your DPS builds that require one or two buttons, I think actual builds outperform your brain.
    Last edited by Elanael; 10-18-2011 at 01:39 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post

EDIT2: Also, suggesting everyone use 51/15ranger when it is complicated and not mobile is kinda mean. They would probably perform better with a simpler dps spec like mandancer or 51/15sin
    51/15sin is bad. 51/15rang is simple and better. So, no.

Soulwalker

love the guilde, because it's usefull for people who haven't played a rogue at all.

good job elanael! cya ingame ^^

my eyes my eyes, just one change if you ever get to editing this. if you have piercing shot, dont use crippling shot, it's a dps loss, if you don't have piercing shot, use crippling shot, also in a raid crippling shot hits much harder than piercing shot so with a simple armor debuff (given from warrior or archon or anyone in raid other than a rogue) you will do more dps with the crippling shot version than the piercing shot version, ive done more tests than i can think of and this is always the case. i also took 3/3 bolster, 2% dr is huge and i hate dying so it's worth more than any dps talent.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Plane Walker

My eyes are bleeding

On a serious note, thank you for taking the effort to make this thread... lets hope you can edit it in the future.

p.s Thank You for barding for me last night hehe

Wiggles

"So not really sure how it died, i think that the plug may not have been fully in." - 'Dahanese

Wigglezzz | Cleric | World First Crucia Perfection | World Second Regulos | World First GA

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    my eyes my eyes, just one change if you ever get to editing this. if you have piercing shot, dont use crippling shot, it's a dps loss, if you don't have piercing shot, use crippling shot, also in a raid crippling shot hits much harder than piercing shot so with a simple armor debuff (given from warrior or archon or anyone in raid other than a rogue) you will do more dps with the crippling shot version than the piercing shot version, ive done more tests than i can think of and this is always the case. i also took 3/3 bolster, 2% dr is huge and i hate dying so it's worth more than any dps talent.
    Thanks for the actual feedback, much appreciated

Well I just keep crippling shot in my macro for the sake of having a snare when needed. I know this is completely useless for most boss fights, but as I already stated in the guide this is not a guide for people that are looking for the last few DPS they can add. Also, it hits far more than a standard quick shot, so adding it your macro actually has benefits.

I haven't done any exact parsing on bosses with the builds I have stated (with exact I mean analysing everything to the ground and counting in all the other classes' buffs). The only thing I have noticed is that when dummy parsing with both piercing and crippling shot there actually was a DPS increase, compared to piercing shot by itself.

But as you said, archons and warriors have armor reducing debuffs aswell. I must say, I've only been playing this game for about 2 months now and I haven't had the chance to dig deeper into the other classes' soul trees as I have been focussing on getting my rogue ready for HK.

Anyways, on the next raid I'll make sure I have a proper parse and I will count in the others buffs you have stated.

Champion of Telara

Crippling Shot hits harder than Quick Shot.

There's almost no reason not to use it. The only time you wouldn't use it is if:

1. You are using 4/4 Piercing Shot, and
    2. You have 2/3 Quick Shot, and
    3. You are using QS in your macro.

RIFT Guide Writer

Spotted a mistake:

Rotation: main attack (shadow fire 2cp) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> finisher (rapid fire shot) -> main attack (empowered shot 2cp) -> main attack (crippling shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> main attack (quick shot 1cp) -> finisher (deadeye shot)
    Obviously there are too many combo points at the start of the rotation, all the quick shots should be replaced with a single crippling shot. The crip shot that's already in there should be replaced with a quick shot.

I will update this as soon as I get full control over editting (which I hope it shouldn't last that long). If this doesn't happen I will be posting the fully completed guide into another thread.
    Last edited by Elanael; 10-18-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Telaran

In regards to the MM build, if you have another 51/15 in your raid using Piercing, it's much better to drop a point in RNG and add it RS for the +AP. The build ends up looking like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...RqdAudR.VRsb.z

You should also remove Empowered from your macros and put it on it's own key and only use it when it's instant-cast. After making the above changes, I found my dps went up considerably. I went from 3rd or 4th to competing for top DPS in my raids.

Here's the macros and rotations I use:

CP:
    #show Shadowfire
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadowfire
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot

Finish:
    #show Rapid Fire Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Bull's Eye
    cast Deadeye Shot
    cast Hasted Shot

Head Shot:
    #show Strafe
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Head Shot
    cast Strafe

AOE:
    #show Lightning Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Fury
    cast Fan Out

Single button skills:
    Empowered Shot
    Quick Shot

Rotation:
    Quick Shot > CP macro (till 5) > Head Shot macro x2 (HS, then Strafe) > Finisher
    Quick Shot > Empowered Shot > CP macro (till 5) > Finisher macro

Repeat 2nd rotation until Strafe is off CD, then use Head Shot/Strafe

You have to be careful with the Strafe/Headshot macro. If you just spam it, you'll interrupt Strafe & use Head Shot. If you find you do this, just put them on separate keys. Same thing with Bull's Eye in your finisher. Spamming it will cause you to use it incorrectly, so you might want it on it's own key as well. Just use it when it's off CD right before Deadeye.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Tollas View Post
    In regards to the MM build, if you have another 51/15 in your raid using Piercing, it's much better to drop a point in RNG and add it RS for the +AP. The build ends up looking like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...RqdAudR.VRsb.z

You should also remove Empowered from your macros and put it on it's own key and only use it when it's instant-cast. After making the above changes, I found my dps went up considerably. I went from 3rd or 4th to competing for top DPS in my raids.

Here's the macros and rotations I use:

CP:
    #show Shadowfire
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadowfire
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot

Finish:
    #show Rapid Fire Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Bull's Eye
    cast Deadeye Shot
    cast Hasted Shot

Head Shot:
    #show Strafe
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Head Shot
    cast Strafe

AOE:
    #show Lightning Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Fury
    cast Fan Out

Single button skills:
    Empowered Shot
    Quick Shot

Rotation:
    Quick Shot > CP macro (till 5) > Head Shot macro x2 (HS, then Strafe) > Finisher
    Quick Shot > Empowered Shot > CP macro (till 5) > Finisher macro

Repeat 2nd rotation until Strafe is off CD, then use Head Shot/Strafe

You have to be careful with the Strafe/Headshot macro. If you just spam it, you'll interrupt Strafe & use Head Shot. If you find you do this, just put them on separate keys. Same thing with Bull's Eye in your finisher. Spamming it will cause you to use it incorrectly, so you might want it on it's own key as well. Just use it when it's off CD right before Deadeye.
    Hey there and thanks for the reply.

As for the build with 1 RS in it I don't think it's worth using it. Sure you might have that tiny bit of extra attack power, but you are missing out on alot of the utility that a 0pt soul has.

Secondly, removing Empowered Shot from the macro... You're right, it does add some DPS if you use it outside of your macro. But some of us just prefer the simplicity of a single button. And if you're experienced enough there should be only one Empowered Shot that has a cast time anyways. Remember, never stop attacking ;)

Also, I would not recommend adding Bull's Eye to your main finisher macro. I tend to save it for moments where you actually need the 100% crit (moments where for example someone has just used a power philter for extra attack power)

Quote Originally Posted by Elanael View Post
    Hey there and thanks for the reply.

As for the build with 1 RS in it I don't think it's worth using it. Sure you might have that tiny bit of extra attack power, but you are missing out on alot of the utility that a 0pt soul has.

Secondly, removing Empowered Shot from the macro... You're right, it does add some DPS if you use it outside of your macro. But some of us just prefer the simplicity of a single button. And if you're experienced enough there should be only one Empowered Shot that has a cast time anyways. Remember, never stop attacking ;)

Also, I would not recommend adding Bull's Eye to your main finisher macro. I tend to save it for moments where you actually need the 100% crit (moments where for example someone has just used a power philter for extra attack power)
    i second this. i switch my 0pt soul and go 3/3 DR since it's the same build i run in pvp, i simply change 0pt to infiltrator for break free and bd sometimes for quick steps every 2min
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast