+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something I don't usually do...

Default Something I don't usually do...

99.9% of the time i come up with my own specs, and end up more than happy with them.

I have a 30ish rogue that's been sitting since before the 1st event (and incidentally, received most of its levels from the daily quests from then until now). Now that my other chars are 50 I wanted to have some fun getting the rogue to 50.

So I ask you, the rogue public/professionals .. What is a spec for this level and beyond with some survivability and decent damage? I may tear apart suggestions and tailor them to my style, but the guts will sure to be there.

Keep in mind PvP isn't *terribly* important to me for this one, though I do the occasion warfront for fun.
    (This rogue is on my PvE server)

Any options for a leveling rogue, starting at about 30 that you could lay out for me?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiddu Krishnamurti
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

depends how you lvl, if you aoe grind then you want some rs/bd/sin hybrid, if you are leveling then nothing beats bard/ranger period, even better when u get high enough lvl to dump 21 in sin for perma stealth, you can stealth to the quest objective, summon your trusty boar and kill everything, stealth out and turn in quests. questing and grinding are so very different though, and if all you do is run dungeons via the queue'ing system then full marksman will be the best, just spam aoe, too many ways to lvl in this game... questing is the most money tho.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Plane Walker

It depends on whether you want to go ranged or melee.

If you want to go ranged, some combination of Ranger/Marksman will get you there nicely.

If you want to go melee, I'd suggest a variant of the tried and true Cuisinart build. It does nice damage, has great AoE, and is very hardy, with lots of survival tricks.

Take a look at these threads for ideas:

Archaegeo's Cuisinart Build (outdated now, but has very good info for the basic concept).

An updated, Patch 1.5 thread, with ideas for going Nightblade.

Personally, I like an Assassin/Riftstalker/Bladedancer build, but as long as you go Riftstalker + Bladedancer, the third soul has some flexibility.
    Last edited by Karuna; 10-17-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karuna View Post
    It depends on whether you want to go ranged or melee.

If you want to go ranged, some combination of Ranger/Marksman will get you there nicely.

If you want to go melee, I'd suggest a variant of the tried and true Cuisinart build. It does nice damage, has great AoE, and is very hardy, with lots of survival tricks.

Take a look at these threads for ideas:

Archaegeo's Cuisinart Build (outdated now, but has very good info for the basic concept).

An updated, Patch 1.5 thread, with ideas for going Nightblade.

Personally, I like an Assassin/Riftstalker/Bladedancer build, but as long as you go Riftstalker + Bladedancer, the third soul has some flexibility.
    this, but around 36 i always respec to 21sin and stay there till 50 as perma stealth with the added movement is huge, whether i go full range or melee i stick to 21sin for lvling :P
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    this, but around 36 i always respec to 21sin and stay there till 50 as perma stealth with the added movement is huge, whether i go full range or melee i stick to 21sin for lvling :P
    /nod

I have a hard time giving up permastealth at 50, too. That's one of the big draws for me to using Assassin in cuisinart-type builds.

If you're going to level by questing, something with perma-stealth makes getting to quest objectives and back out absolutely trivial. Otherwise, put together some sort of variant of Cuisinart with 13+ in RS for the self-heal on kills, and just AOE the crap out of everything.

Hey guys, gonna take a look at what you left for me here in the thread, first I wanted to apologize - I did mean to let you know the play-style I was going to use with this character.

I will be grinding mobs (open world) and questing at the same time. Rarely dungeons.

Thanks everyone for the feedback already. Maybe knowing how I will play will help narrow things down a bit.

EDIT: Call me weird, but I won't be using stealth to skip content, if that makes a difference. I prefer to fight my way there and back. I know... Odd
    Last edited by Chaosoul; 10-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiddu Krishnamurti
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosoul View Post
    Hey guys, gonna take a look at what you left for me here in the thread, first I wanted to apologize - I did mean to let you know the play-style I was going to use with this character.

I will be grinding mobs (open world) and questing at the same time. Rarely dungeons.

Thanks everyone for the feedback already. Maybe knowing how I will play will help narrow things down a bit.

EDIT: Call me weird, but I won't be using stealth to skip content, if that makes a difference. I prefer to fight my way there and back. I know... Odd

I posted the spec I'm currently leveling with in another thread. I use bard and MM for mass kiting. Combined with exp potions I found it to be the fastest way to level. On one vial I went from 36 to 41, with breaks in between doing some WF's. So it has been pretty fast and interesting.

28 Bard/ 18+ in MM (think 21 now)/ and 4 in RS (so far)
    Last edited by Pyrial; 10-17-2011 at 10:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread