+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 51MM vs. Blinkblade and boss fights

Shadowlander

Default 51MM vs. Blinkblade and boss fights

Hi all.

I was curious as to your thoughts on 51mm vs blinkblade for boss fights - this applies to T2s as well as raids. With my current gear, which admittedly isn't ready for a big kid raid, (177 hit), I can't decide whether I am better off playing 51mm or blinkblade. When a fight is largely stationary, my damage output is best with blinkblade, but when the fight requires you to run out a lot or doge some random crap, my DPS suffers as melee since I am always running away. When I run a 51MM spec, my AoE damage is better, but single target DPS is less than blinkblade.

I guess my question is whether or not people feel blinkblade is beneficial in a group setting, particularly raids and dungeons.

Thanks!

For t2s? really doesn't matter at all, play whichever you enjoy most.
    If you actually care (for some silly reason) just play marksman. T2s are 90% AOE anyway

(Gear)

what he said for T2's. For raids, get a DPS meter and see which one you do more DPS with.

This is all my opinion, but in my experience, 51 MM is the most versatile no matter the fight, sabdancer still comes in second (for me), and any other highest dps melee builds (sin, nb, blinkspecs) work depending on the fight that favors it (fewer of those in HK due to needs for aoe/raid targetting and positioning/movement). For T2s, just use MM if you want speedy clears and easy boss fights (as ranged negates or lessens several boss mechanics). Plus MM has ez-mode LF/FO spam for trash clearing which is the majority of the instances and time-sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronite View Post
    what he said for T2's. For raids, get a DPS meter and see which one you do more DPS with.
    Not what HK is always about. Yes, DPS matters. As long as the raid is making the check, maybe you need to look into other things.

1)Does this fight require me to AOE?
    2)Should I be interrupting something?
    3)How often am I chasing or switching targets?
    4)What boss mechanics require me to move out of melee or into melee?
    5)Are the mages or MMs pulling aggro everytime adds pop?
    6)What is my time-to-target for DPS where it matters?

These factor in to the build you bring to the fight as well. Making the most out of whatever build you play is what really matters. Good players will do this and bring the best DPS they can to an encounter.
    Last edited by Boneloaf; 10-17-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnoz View Post
    For t2s? really doesn't matter at all, play whichever you enjoy most.
    If you actually care (for some silly reason) just play marksman. T2s are 90% AOE anyway
    But blinkblade will out AOE the mm in t2s ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boneloaf View Post
    Not what HK is always about. Yes, DPS matters. As long as the raid is making the check, maybe you need to look into other things.

These factor in to the build you bring to the fight as well. Making the most out of whatever build you play is what really matters. Good players will do this and bring the best DPS they can to an encounter.
    Speaking from a HK-mage perspective I would say that some fights are best fought with a number of Sabs mixed in, simply for the AE agro management purpose; if those sabs also bring weapon barrage and lethal poison (AE +5% crit) all the better.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Quote Originally Posted by Yoma View Post
    but you need to like, pay attention and **** for that. mm you just target tank and spam 1 from 35m
    Edit: why are people talking about HK? OP doesnt even have the hit for GSB..
    Last edited by Adnoz; 10-17-2011 at 06:23 AM.

(Gear)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoma View Post
    not for me it doesnt, t2s the way i run em pull 2-3 groups at a time and the 8 target aoe matters, also having to misdirect the pet for less threat becomes necessary, if blink'blade hit 8 targets it would win handsdown but when you pull entire rooms like i do, you need MM to mow em down quickly, also when i pull aggro, i can easily solo 1 t2 mob as MM, cant do much as blink'blade, 1 crit and im dead.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Boneloaf View Post

I agree with this 100%. Best thing to do is use ACT to see who's doing the most damage to the priority targets and not overall dps. If an add needs to die or it'll wipe the raid and it doesn't die, does overall dps really matter or smart dps?

The other thing to consider is which specs take advantage of 4 point HK bonuses? They make a big difference.

Two builds might seem OK, but if one can benefit from a 4 point bonus and another can't then guess which one you'll be using when you get the 4 point bonus.

I have all the crystals on test, and I can tell you for certain that's there's no good builds that don't benefit from a 4/4 bonus. I'd start playing a bulid now that can take advantage of the bonus so you'll be familiar with it once you do get the bonus.

No matter what, the more you play a build the better you'll be at it.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-17-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Best thing to do is use ACT to see who's doing the most damage to the priority targets and not overall dps. If an add needs to die or it'll wipe the raid and it doesn't die, does overall dps really matter or smart dps?

The other thing to consider is which specs take advantage of 4 point HK bonuses? They make a big difference.

Two builds might seem OK, but if one can benefit from a 4 point bonus and another can't then guess which one you'll be using when you get the 4 point bonus.

I have all the crystals on test, and I can tell you for certain that's there's no good builds that don't benefit from a 4/4 bonus. I'd start playing a bulid now that can take advantage of the bonus so you'll be familiar with it once you do get the bonus.

No matter what, the more you play a build the better you'll be at it.
    translation: blink'blade does not benefit from any 4pc bonuses and thus sucks endgame, however it is good when you are starting hk and like to melee, works on most bosses and has great cleaving, probably the best cleaving of all rogue specs actually. ive recently dropped this spec from my list as the sin version is simply better and will get a huge dps boost with 4pc as well as super high raid scaling (highest of any melee spec), cant wait to see what it does on sicaron with 4pc.
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    translation: blink'blade does not benefit from any 4pc bonuses and thus sucks endgame, however it is good when you are starting hk and like to melee, works on most bosses and has great cleaving, probably the best cleaving of all rogue specs actually. ive recently dropped this spec from my list as the sin version is simply better and will get a huge dps boost with 4pc as well as super high raid scaling (highest of any melee spec), cant wait to see what it does on sicaron with 4pc.
    Yea, that's the translation really. 32 sin blink blade variant wtfpwns it.

I can't be certain though... last changes on PTS were pretty late and I've been grinding AAs recently, also lost my PTS buddy for fervor so testing less.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-17-2011 at 07:19 AM.

For first-tier raids (OP doesn't sound like will be HK ready for a while) there's some fights I go ranged, most others that I go melee.

Duke - easier to just go MM
    Johlen - melee, but depending who else is playing what, may be handy to go melee ranger for a pet
    Oracle - melee will be highest dps
    Prince - ranged is easier
    Lord G - depends on your assignment, MM is awesome for sentient pollen kill-squad

Dark Focus - who cares, whatever you like
    Warmaster - blinkblade in particular will get you into trouble if you bamf at wrong time, MM top dps here
    Plutonus - made for melee
    Herald - melee-friendly
    Alsbeth - MM

10-mans both have a fight or two where MM may be preferred, depending on who else is in your 10-man.

For T2s, I can't think of any fights that absolutely require you to go ranged. There are a lot of fights where MM will be easier.

I don't have HK crystal. I have both MM and melee crystals. My relic is melee, but there's fights where I contribute more as ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Yea, that's the translation really. 32 sin blink blade variant wtfpwns it.

I can't be certain though... last changes on PTS were pretty late and I've been grinding AAs recently, also lost my PTS buddy for fervor so testing less.
    i tested last night with t1 crystals and 32sin blink > blink'blade with just t1 crystals, gap gets much large with hk crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
    For first-tier raids (OP doesn't sound like will be HK ready for a while) there's some fights I go ranged, most others that I go melee.

Duke - easier to just go MM
    Johlen - melee, but depending who else is playing what, may be handy to go melee ranger for a pet
    Oracle - melee will be highest dps
    Prince - ranged is easier
    Lord G - depends on your assignment, MM is awesome for sentient pollen kill-squad

Dark Focus - who cares, whatever you like
    Warmaster - blinkblade in particular will get you into trouble if you bamf at wrong time, MM top dps here
    Plutonus - made for melee
    Herald - melee-friendly
    Alsbeth - MM

10-mans both have a fight or two where MM may be preferred, depending on who else is in your 10-man.

For T2s, I can't think of any fights that absolutely require you to go ranged. There are a lot of fights where MM will be easier.

I don't have HK crystal. I have both MM and melee crystals. My relic is melee, but there's fights where I contribute more as ranged.
    all things being equal (wpn dps-wise) mm will win on every last fight you posted above using t1 raid crystal, as none of those fights require yo to move so much that you lose dps as mm, and mm is top dps at that gear lvl by a large margin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast