+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Run and Gun Vixtrola's *Boomstick* Guide

Default Run and Gun Vixtrola's *Boomstick* Guide

Got some good feedback on this build so I'm posting the basic macros I use and how I play the spec.

I made this spec because I hate how they made MM's required to stand still(master archer) to maximize damage out. In pvp I've always played melee type builds or casters based around instants and like to stay mobile at all times so I found this combo works well for my play style.

One thing, I didn't start using this spec till R6 so it probably isn't as effective at low ranks but it's worth a try.

The Spec
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...hRo.vhtRVz0zdo

If you already have decent HIT drop Combat expertise and just get the extra AP bonus for deadly strike

Buffs Used
    Stalker Phase, Combat Pose, Planebound Res, Vampiric Munitions, Electrified Mutitions

Macros I Use
    #show Swift Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Empowered Shot
    cast Swift Shot
    I macro them although almost never use Empowered Shot since I am always moving

#show Deadly Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Deadly Strike
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Deadeye Shot
    cast Hasted Shot
    cast Bull's Eye

#show Deaden
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Deaden
    cast Weapon Barrage

#show Shadow Blitz
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadow Assault
    cast Shadow Blitz
    cast Flash of Steel
    cast Shadow Stalk

#show Crossfire
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Crossfire
    cast Repelling Shot

#show Fan Out
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lightning Fury
    cast Fan Out

Play Strategy
    Basic idea of the build is to build 3CP's(make sure one of those 3 is a barbed shot) use your shift macro to flash in to target get a deadly strike on them and hit them with a BIG strafe followed by a rapid fire shot and for more difficult opponents you have quick reload allows you to chain this sequence back to back

This build has a lot of survivability I felt missing with the standard MM builds floating around not to mention you keep mobile it all times which makes it harder for Sin's to get the jump on you.
    Between Shadow Assault, Shadow Blitz, and Flash of Steel you have 3 ways to get ot a target to add 2CP this ensures almost one of them will always be available to use when a target has 3CP on them. Shadow Stalk is your break free and honestly doesn't need to be macro'd but I find its almost never used unless under CC so I leave it in the macro

The multiple movement buffs you receive from this build including hasted time, buff from swift shot, hasty departure, on the double, and even hasted shot gives you great mobility. You also gain a nice element of surprise since people aren't expecting a MM to flash in at them and knock them with a melee shot.

The extra survivability you get comes from Rift Barrier which is key for when you flash in to be able to absorb some damage you may take and rift scavenger. On lower rank targets the strafe will take them out giving you a very nice heal from scavenger along with any healing you may get from vampiric. Also you can snipe low health targets to rack up some CP's on them and score more healing to keep you going. When fighting melee remember you have side steps this will save your butt in instances when you are fighting a class with lots of ports you can't get away from like nb/rs and riftblades. You also get two interrupt/silences which is very key for taking out a lot of mages and healers. Many times they will break first silence and generally the second one(even the the duration will be very short) is enough to take them out before the heal gets off. Although if they are getting backup heals its not always this easy.

Codex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU6MaLFmStk
    Whitefall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCuM65q8VAU
    These are same sample fights I posted in my other thread, Ill put up more later. Keep in mind these were just test run fights once I get my layout mastered and get used to it more things should go a lot better. But for a test run I think it went well.

Any feedback or ideas for improvement are appreciated
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

Rift Disciple

Hey
    I was trying a similar build, but instead of 21rs, i had it 21sin.

I hate strafe getting parried/dodged.
    Even with 5/5 combat expertise and 3/3 sharpshooter, still misses sometimes.

On WFs going with group, i can see your 21rs version performing much better.

couple tips forgot to add

in WF's that tend to be AOE zerg fest like well everything but codex(although it can be one to just not as often) one thing I found effective is find there best healer load him up with 3 cp shift to him and get the deadly strike off, use shadow shift to port back to your group get hit the AOE macro 3 times(these will hit hard thanks to deadly and spread VM around), watch his cast bar if he starts casting a cast time heal pop him with a interrupt/silence flash back in get another deadly and strafe him... if they aren't getting backup heals this works very well at taking one out and if they are getting back up heals as long as you have one other dps assisting you you should be able to drop him. Now there are times when the team is just crazy overloaded with clerics, chloros, bards in those cases unless you have some insane DPS backup there's really nothing you can do.

I ran this strategy on a few library runs when they were overloaded with healers and were able to pick two of them off which ended up breaking there group apart.

The AOE strat is good idea anytime you are at a choke point like bridge in scion, or initial zerg at codex or garden.
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticratboy View Post
    Hey
    I was trying a similar build, but instead of 21rs, i had it 21sin.

I hate strafe getting parried/dodged.
    Even with 5/5 combat expertise and 3/3 sharpshooter, still misses sometimes.

On WFs going with group, i can see your 21rs version performing much better.
    I rarely see my strafe missing and only have 57 hit maybe you were trying it on people with side steps going or bend like reed... sin would give you more damage but completely change the build mechanics. I find the ports and shield and rift scavenger all way to useful and 15% AP bonus helps a little in making up for lack of increased damage you would get from sin

Very interesting build. I think i'll have to try this out to see how it work out. It's a great concept and in the beginning of the Codex video when I saw Strafe critting for over 800 on a target with valor it made me lol. How do you play with the camera zoomed in so much though?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahax View Post
    Very interesting build. I think i'll have to try this out to see how it work out. It's a great concept and in the beginning of the Codex video when I saw Strafe critting for over 800 on a target with valor it made me lol. How do you play with the camera zoomed in so much though?
    lol third person to ask me that i answered on my other thread but not this one, I zoomed in to let people see everything better for the video normally I play zoomed further out. I just hate watching PVP videos and everything is zoomed so far out its hard to see what's going on.. on zero valor target strafe crits for about 1.2k a crit hit:P on dummy 1.4k a crit hit

I tested it on the dungeon dummy.

44mm/20sin/2rs is hitting 1250 strafe crit
    46mm/20rs/0bd is hitting 1100 strafe crit
    Your build is hitting 1580 strafe crit.
    Its good, seems rather unique and fun but its Deadly dance + Strafe depended.

Thank you for your post.
    Last edited by Intoxication; 10-17-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxication View Post
    I tested it on the dungeon dummy.

44mm/20sin/2rs is hitting 1250 strafe crit
    46mm/20rs/0bd is hitting 1100 strafe crit
    Your build is hitting 1580 strafe crit.
    Its good, seems rather unique and fun but its Deadly dance + Strafe depended.

Thank you for your post.
    figured R8 gun would hit like a truck with this can't wait:P.. it is DD and Strafe dependent for the most part but with strafe only on 1 min CD and having quick reload I don't find this to be an issue. Also even with strafe on CD with DD anything else hits hard as hell so it isn't completely strafe dependent. Thank you for the response

Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    figured R8 gun would hit like a truck with this can't wait:P.. it is DD and Strafe dependent for the most part but with strafe only on 1 min CD and having quick reload I don't find this to be an issue. Also even with strafe on CD with DD anything else hits hard as hell so it isn't completely strafe dependent. Thank you for the response
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...Mhk.EoxoVzV0do

I think this can add abit more kick to the build

You loose

Shadow Blitz
    Rift Scavenger (I never liked it that much)
    Repelling Shot
    2% Less hit chance
    Hasted Departure
    Bull's Eye (If you not using DE/EMP alot its not worth it)
    Hasted Time
    Faster teleport recovery

You gain :

6% dexterity (Scales better with better gear)
    10% more dmg 10% less dmg on dodge/parry (More survivability and damage output)
    Master Archer 17% more dmg standing still (Teleport/Deadly strike/strafe standing still)
    And you also gain Maim for slowing the target to help your kiting ability

Thats what i would change atleast, to get the max i can from the burst of Deadly Dance

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...Mhk.EoxoVzV0do

I think this can add abit more kick to the build

You loose

Shadow Blitz
    Rift Scavenger (I never liked it that much)
    Repelling Shot
    2% Less hit chance
    Hasted Departure
    Bull's Eye (If you not using DE/EMP alot its not worth it)
    Hasted Time
    Faster teleport recovery

You gain :

6% dexterity (Scales better with better gear)
    10% more dmg 10% less dmg on dodge/parry (More survivability and damage output)
    Master Archer 17% more dmg standing still (Teleport/Deadly strike/strafe standing still)
    And you also gain Maim for slowing the target to help your kiting ability

Thats what i would change atleast, to get the max i can from the burst of Deadly Dance
    only issue is the whole reason I came up with the build was to get away from master archer and not having to stand still. Also losing out on the extra port and the extra cooldown time would hurt my play style way to much. But yea this would give a higher max output especially on strafe if you got the turn the tide buff active and stood still.. but still not for me but I'm sure some people would probably like it

I know mate, just telling you my point of view, its always your call and your build ;)

I know mate, just telling you my point of view, its always your call and your build ;)
    lol np its good idea to maximize damage and would like to see what a strafe hit would hit on a full valor target with the full R8 Gear

for rift scavenger to proc, do you need to get the KB? If so I would be swapping out that for 6% lest damage. But thats just me...

Quote Originally Posted by pilot1984 View Post
    for rift scavenger to proc, do you need to get the KB? If so I would be swapping out that for 6% lest damage. But thats just me...
    nope dont need the KB you'll get the heal as longs as combo points are on target no matter who kills um. So it's well worth it
    Last edited by sanosuke; 10-17-2011 at 09:50 AM.

awesome, thanks for the quick response Ill see you on the battlefield soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast