+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The most fun I've ever had in a PvP spec

Default The most fun I've ever had in a PvP spec

This spec.
    The 0 point ability can be swapped between Saboteur for Adhesive Bomb, BladeDancer for Side Steps, and Infiltrator for Break Free.
    It's a variation of the classic 44NB/22RS, but with much more versatility. Posting two guides in the same board on different threads seems like overkill, but I've had so much success with this build I figured I really ought to share it.

First, let's go over what you're losing versus the classic 44NB/22RS:
    - A Defensive Cooldown (Blackout)
    - +15% Extra damage on Primal Strike
    - +15% Damage reduction to fire/death spells
    - +3% damage to all of your fire/death abilities
    - a 30 second cooldown, broken on damage CC

What you're gaining:
    - A 25 meter Plane shift
    - A Defensive cooldown (Planar Refuge)
    - 6% Less damage taken/OR 15% crit while planeshifting/OR 15% damage reduction and reflection
    - A 20 second cooldown CC that doesn't break on damage.

There is almost no DPS loss when switching between these builds--A lot of people go 44 NB for Blackout, but the majority of points spent getting there are very well used elsewhere.

The playstyle is almost entirely the same, but what really sells the build for me would be Rift Prison and Shadow Warp. Being able to instantly warp 40 meters in any given direction, mount up, and go on your merry way is an indispensable ability. Shadow Shift is amazing by itself, but a 40 meter shift on a 20 second cooldown is insane.
    Not only that, but Rift Prison provides more utility than you can imagine. It can be used to CC someone and mount away if you feel that you're losing/going to lose, it can help you win a 2v1, or even a 3v1 if you've managed to open from stealth and lost hope someone else. It's one of the best abilities for protecting a healer, considering it doesn't break on damage, and it can force the DPS to use their break free--then you can snare them with twilight force.
    I've just started playing this spec since this morning, when I decided to theorycraft a non-cookie cutter NB build, and I've already had a ton of success with it, these are just a few screenshots of how well it's done.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...13/NBKills.png
    http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...3/NBKills3.png
    http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...3/NBKills2.png

And I know, I got completely flamed in my last guide for posting screenshots that were "pointless", etc... But it's easy to see that in two of the above SS, I was near the top/at the top in damage taken, but didn't die, or died once. That's being able to create 40 meters of distance in two seconds, and having one of the best CCs in the game at your fingertips on a 20 second cooldown.

Anyway, onto the "Technical" parts of the build I suppose.

Buffs!
    Fell Blades, Hellfire Blades, Stalker Phase, Planebound Resilience.
    Make sure you're checking constantly to see if Fell Blades has been purged. You need to keep it up.

Macros!

Builder
    #show Dusk Strike
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Twilight Force
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Fiery Chains
    cast Primal Strike
    cast Fiery Spike

Finisher
    #Show Scourge of Darkness
    cast Scourge of Darkness
    cast Blazing Strike
    cast Flame Thrust

Blinks
    #show Shadow Stalk
    cast Shadow Assault
    cast Shadow Blitz
    cast Shadow Stalk

Shadow Stalk works as a break free, so you want to keep it on CD until you really need it, so make sure it fires last, but if you're CC'd you'll know that it's off CD and you can pop out of the CC.

Warps
    #show Shadow Warp
    cast Shadow Warp
    cast Shadow Shift

If you hit the macro twice, it'll warp you 15 meters ahead immediately, if you hit it once, it'll give you the selection mouse for Shadow Warp. Easy.

CC
    #Show Rift Prison
    Cast @focus rift prison

This macro makes it much easier to CC a target that you know beforehand will cause trouble, and doesn't cause any delay between switching targets. It is good, however, to keep the regular ability on one button as well.

Notable Abilities to keep on single buttons!
    Dusk to Dawn, Rift Prison, Fell blades (It WILL be purged and you WILL want to reapply it) Ebon Fury, Planar Refuge, Twilight Transcendence, Twilight Shelter.

Note: I disapprove of Marcoing your Break Free in this build. It's much better to use it when you've got a 5 second disarm on you and are fighting a pyro, rather than shrugging off a -30% movement Impede.

An example of a fight
    When taking on a group of enemies with all your cooldowns up, you'll want to look at it like this:
    Lost hope the healer/Best DPS, set him as your focus. Pick the weakest enemy, open up on him, pop Ebon Fury and start laying into him. When you start to take damage, re-CC the best DPS and pop Planar Refuge. This allows for a somewhat "softened transition" where you can be healed up by bloodthirsty and Rift Scavenger (5 Point RS heals for ~2k, keep it in mind when you're near a KB). Provided you didn't take long to kill him, you can use the extra time on Ebon to slay someone else, and Cycle Twilight Shelter until you win/Looks like you're going to die. From there, you either bask in the glory of winning a 4v1, or simply CC the remaining person, warp 40 meters away, mount up and laugh in their faces.

I honestly have yet to find anything that I can't kill in this build, bar a R8 Full Warden even if I have Ebon up. But if you're hitting a full Warden, you're probably living off of fell blades while you kill his silly DPS.

Oh, and before you flame me for posting an unorthodox build, 44NB/22RS is totally viable, I'm just providing an alternative. Any feedback is welcome, however.
    ~Quiescent

Plane Touched

This looks awesome. Definitely going to try it out tonight.

Nice guide, but i have doubts about your macro.
    I would personally set Phantom Blow before the Dusk Strike as it gives you 6% mitigation at the beginning (Dusk Strike will still be on top with Ebon Fury on)
    I would also recommend splitting AOE macro for a better tactical advantage when you rush into a group and start spamming AOE but since you put it on a builder some of your really important skills such as Rift Disturbance might be on CD ( doesn't mean you don't have to use it when engaging a single opponent just for a debuff )

But that's just me coz I like to play my keyboard like a piano

Blightweald EU
    STORM
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by PORTERR View Post
    Nice guide, but i have doubts about your macro.
    I would personally set Phantom Blow before the Dusk Strike as it gives you 6% mitigation at the beginning (Dusk Strike will still be on top with Ebon Fury on)
    I would also recommend splitting AOE macro for a better tactical advantage when you rush into a group and start spamming AOE but since you put it on a builder some of your really important skills such as Rift Disturbance might be on CD ( doesn't mean you don't have to use it when engaging a single opponent just for a debuff )

But that's just me coz I like to play my keyboard like a piano
    I find having Dusk strike at the top is nice, since it fires off as soon as I need a killing blow. You can control how it fires by remaining energy starved, as well. And honestly, I don't AoE in this build. The reason RD and FC are in my macro is because they hit hard single target--spamming weapon flare hoping for FB procs tends to not work for me.

But it's all opinion.
    ~Quiescent

Quite similar to the build that I run, just with some points moved around.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0ss.VcxchRbooz

Not going to drop any macros on, they are generally very similar with any other NB/RS build. Rift Prison on a @mouseover macro. Gotta have it on a mouseover macro!

Also been playing around with a 44NB/22RS/0BD just for Codex. Make sure to pick up Planar Vortex, and you will DOMINATE at defending with Side Steps + NB defensive cooldowns + constant AoE making it impossible for people to take a node until your dead.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 10-09-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Ahh, figured I would also drop a few screens of how this build also performs. These are from today and yesterday.

Edit: Ugh, terrible quality screenshots when uploaded to forums. Ah well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The most fun I've ever had in a PvP spec-2011-10-09_155629.jpg   The most fun I've ever had in a PvP spec-2011-10-08_130603.jpg   The most fun I've ever had in a PvP spec-2011-10-08_110428.jpg   The most fun I've ever had in a PvP spec-2011-10-09_172334.jpg   The most fun I've ever had in a PvP spec-2011-10-09_181117.jpg  

Last edited by Conundrum; 10-09-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Rift Disciple

I run 40/26

But yeah it seems 40ish nb and 30ish rs is what is up.

Hey Fonk, do you play on the same Warfront group that includes Crucia?

Cause, if you play a Dwarf Rogue... I think I have ran into you a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    I find having Dusk strike at the top is nice, since it fires off as soon as I need a killing blow. You can control how it fires by remaining energy starved, as well. And honestly, I don't AoE in this build. The reason RD and FC are in my macro is because they hit hard single target--spamming weapon flare hoping for FB procs tends to not work for me.

But it's all opinion.
    Yeh i agree that Weapon Flare is useless but spamming Rift Disturbances & Fiery Chains exactly when you need IMO is quite important.

Blightweald EU
    STORM
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Fonk View Post
    I run 40/26

But yeah it seems 40ish nb and 30ish rs is what is up.
    this.... with proper point placement and proper 3rd soul 40/26 is superior to any of the 38/28 or 44/22
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Quite similar to the build that I run, just with some points moved around.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0ss.VcxchRbooz

Not going to drop any macros on, they are generally very similar with any other NB/RS build. Rift Prison on a @mouseover macro. Gotta have it on a mouseover macro!

Also been playing around with a 44NB/22RS/0BD just for Codex. Make sure to pick up Planar Vortex, and you will DOMINATE at defending with Side Steps + NB defensive cooldowns + constant AoE making it impossible for people to take a node until your dead.
    Hmmmm you're actually losing out quite a bit with your build.
    3 points in Fire and Death Attunement could actually give you more dps by putting them into Primal Death and 15% resist doesn't compensate tbh.
    Hasted Time and Freedom of Movement is quite useless compared to Additional 6% Mitigation from Phantom Blow and Rift Scavenger saves you sometimes (especially when you're low hp and get the timing right to finish off a 5 point target with a non builder)

Blightweald EU
    STORM
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    this.... with proper point placement and proper 3rd soul 40/26 is superior to any of the 38/28 or 44/22
    I disagree. There's no reason to go above 38 points in nightblade--anything else is a very, very marginal DPS increase.
    ~Quiescent

I disagree. There's no reason to go above 38 points in nightblade--anything else is a very, very marginal DPS increase.
    to each his own.. i actually found 39/27 for me the best after some tweaking.. just depends on playstyle
    Last edited by sanosuke; 10-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    to each his own.. i actually found 39/27 for me the best after some tweaking.. just depends on playstyle
    What do you have the points in? Can you link it?
    ~Quiescent

What do you have the points in? Can you link it?
    i prefer 3/3 in primal death.. you only need 1 point in improved twilight since half the time the snare doesn't stick and its not like you are worried about being kited with this build. Heat retention you can go 4/5 it will be up pretty much just as fast. Then for RS i prefer hasted time and freedom of movement so i take points from fortitude... hasted time for me i i like to use it against other melee's it helps you strafe them more effectively.. but overall pretty similar setup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast