+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hoko's 38mm/28rng guide for 1.5 (with bonus 51mm rotation)

Default Hoko's 38mm/28rng guide for 1.5 (with bonus 51mm rotation)

Updated 10/18/11

Edit: New build and guide for max single target and aoe dps

First the build: 38mm/28rng/0rs. I see no reason to take the 35m range, i never stand that far away since if the boss moves you get out of range and have to move too, not a useful talent, prefer the run buff and hit talent but can be moved. ranger is optimized for max dps and rain of arrows, move points there at your own peril.

Rotations all depend on your crystals, once you get the marksman crystal you will use these macros as follows, ranger crystal is not worth getting, t1 or hk 2pc is all u need for this rotation, remove empowered shot if u cant get those yet (lolnoob).

First the macros:

spam macro:
    #show Empowered Shot
    petattack
    petcast Bite
    petcast Maul
    cast Empowered Shot
    cast Trick Shot

opener macro:
    #show Shadow Fire
    petattack
    petcast Bite
    petcast maul
    cast Shadow Fire

finisher macro 1:
    #show Rapid Fire Shot
    petattack
    petcast Bite
    petcast Maul
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Deadeye Shot

finisher macro 2:
    #show Head Shot
    petattack
    petcast Bite
    petcast Maul
    cast Head Shot

AoE 5ish mobs
    #show Lightning Fury
    petattack
    petcast Bite
    petcast Maul
    cast Lightning Fury
    cast Trick Shot

AoE 8+ mobs
    #show Rain of Arrows
    petattack
    petcast Bite
    petcast Maul
    cast Rain of Arrows

Notable hotkeys: Strafe, Concussive Blast, Deaden, Bullseye, Quick Reload, On the Double, Shadow Shift/Break Free

rotation: normal max dps mm rotation...
    SF>spam>head shot
    strafe>RFS>quick reload
    strafe>RFS
    spam>bullseye>deadeye shot
    SF>spam>finisher macro
    use headshot before strafe

Buffs: Rending Munitions, Electrified Munitions, Predatory Instincts, Greater Direwolf

PROS: Highest aoe in game period (only no limit aoe ability left after all the nerfs)
    Parses higher than 51mm single target (try it)
    Has a wolf!

CONS: No Purge or retreat, neither are needed in HK.

Secret: you just learned how to play 51mm so stop asking me the proper 51mm rotation, just take out all the pet stuff and do it! But why bother? 51mm only will win on Sicaron!

p.s. this was only more dmg than 51mm with 2pc hk bonus, im positive with 4pc 51mm will win.
    Last edited by Hokonoso; 10-19-2011 at 04:20 AM.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    p.s. Phu I'm counting on you to beat Rizaz since I'm not there to do it. You are my only hope!
    I feel the love </3

Quote Originally Posted by Kokie View Post
    I feel the love </3
    lol we'll see how you do too, but MM > nb right now from my parses, i dont think you will make up that much more from the under 30% buff. i've been crunching more numbers tho and am thinking that some easier specs in melee might out perform nb on sicaron due to contracts and stuff, marksman wins because it gets to dps the whole fight even while contracted!

also your gear is better than mine but blink'blade > nb for me by a good 300 dps or so, i was doing 3200dps on sicaron attempts as blink'blade but only 2800 as nightblade, we didnt have an inquis tho so nightblade would go up, plus the whole 30% thing but i doubt id break 3k with my gear. we had rogues sustaining 3100 as mm tho with the R8 gun (which sadly i do not have) so i know Phu is going to rock it tonight

btw rizaz, i hope you get 5+ contracts tonight!
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™

Pretty similar to the 28rng-38mm build I posted, but it's a bad mistake not taking trick shot.

Reasons:
    - trick shot hits harder then fan out
    - combo points from trick shot allows you to use concussive blast, and rapid fire shot when aoeing 2-3 mobs.

The difference between trick and fan out should be about 200 dps in aoe or so on the 3 dummy, on 5 mobs double that.

My variant of the build was so good in aoe it inspired a nerf rogue aoe thread lol.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-05-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Champion

Haha we will see how it goes :P Going to be getting the 4 peice bonus for the fight also, hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Pretty similar to the 28rng-38mm build I posted, but it's a bad mistake not taking trick shot.

Reasons:
    - trick shot hits harder then fan out
    - combo points from trick shot allows you to use concussive blast, and rapid fire shot when aoeing 2-3 mobs.

The difference between trick and fan out should be about 200 dps in aoe or so on the 3 dummy, on 5 mobs double that.

My variant of the build was so good in aoe it inspired a nerf rogue aoe thread lol.
    fan out is spell dmg, trick shot is not. the only reason id ever use this build is for aoe, and rain of arrows is the only aoe ability id use, i could lose insta pet summon for regular trick shot but why? it's not like trash matters, and no boss has 2 adds up the whole fight where you need combo points. ive raided a ton, and simply never use trick shot as a ranger, fan out is sufficient as it hits harder and costs less energy, no reason at all to use trick shot just so once every 30s i can concussive blast? not worth it. this is a matron build, 51mm beats it everywhere else.

fan out is spell dmg, trick shot is not. the only reason id ever use this build is for aoe, and rain of arrows is the only aoe ability id use, i could lose insta pet summon for regular trick shot but why? it's not like trash matters, and no boss has 2 adds up the whole fight where you need combo points. ive raided a ton, and simply never use trick shot as a ranger, fan out is sufficient as it hits harder and costs less energy, no reason at all to use trick shot just so once every 30s i can concussive blast? not worth it. this is a matron build, 51mm beats it everywhere else.
    Bards usually don't use their aoe extra damage vs magic finisher, people use the archon single target. That means if you don't have an inquis you're getting 0 extra magic damage in raids.

Lighting fury is an aoe armor debuff, so it's an armor debuff for trick shot. Trick shot hits harder then rain of arrows in aoe.

I don't know what to tell you - if you're looking for best aoe, your variant just isn't it.

Raid buffed trick shot hits for 1k per target in aoe, then you have all the other extra damage from the build.

The other downside I've found btw, is with whetstones 28rng-38mm does not scale as well. On the dummy it's slightly behind 51 mm single target, add in whetstones and it's further behind. I use this build a lot but only in aoe encounters... so if you're going to use the build in the same way, you should be focusing on the best aoe. I used it on Matron last week, hovered around 3k and spiked past 4k with adds. Let me know how your variant compares.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-05-2011 at 08:03 AM.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kRo.xhxoVzAudR

Try this, but I'm still not convinced 2/3 prey will have 100% uptime.

ive raided a ton, and simply never use trick shot as a ranger, fan out is sufficient as it hits harder and costs less energy, no reason at all to use trick shot just so once every 30s i can concussive blast? not worth it. this is a matron build, 51mm beats it everywhere else.
    Triple post!

Just saw this sentence - retest it, trick shot hits harder then fan out and rain of arrows. Only reason to not use 28rng-38mm is if there's only 1 mob or aoe isn't important and needs to be controlled (Grug).... and prob wouldn't use it on Zilas too unless it was my assignment to sit in the middle.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-05-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Why 3/3 Blood Rage? AFAIK it only affects pet damage, is it really relevant in a 28pts Rng build?
    Yet I understand is hard to figure exactly how to better spend those points DPS wise

What tickles my mind is if putting 1 in Improved Tricky Shot wouldn't statistically boost your finisher dmg by 15% (15% faster to build 5cp) and thus be better than rising pet dmg by 15%?

Also on aoe situations what to use? Rain of arrows? Fan Out? Tricky Shot?
    I'd go with the latter for most situations, then Fan Out for 5-8 targets would probably be more effective, and Rain Of Arrows only for those rare situations whit more than 8 targets, and so probably also a waste of points.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuronicercasi View Post
    Why 3/3 Blood Rage? AFAIK it only affects pet damage, is it really relevant in a 28pts Rng build?
    Yet I understand is hard to figure exactly how to better spend those points DPS wise

What tickles my mind is if putting 1 in Improved Tricky Shot wouldn't statistically boost your finisher dmg by 15% (15% faster to build 5cp) and thus be better than rising pet dmg by 15%?

Also on aoe situations what to use? Rain of arrows? Fan Out? Tricky Shot?
    I'd go with the latter for most situations, then Fan Out for 5-8 targets would probably be more effective, and Rain Of Arrows only for those rare situations whit more than 8 targets, and so probably also a waste of points.
    With trick shot you're already constantly at 5 cps with nothing to spend them on. Don't see a need for improved. What I do is trick shot spam for headshot buff, trick shot spam for concussive blast, trick shot spam for rapid fire shot (if 3 or less mobs) and then just trick shot spam until something else comes off CD. I don't think it's worth using deadeye or headshot unless you're at 2 mobs.

I use Hoko's aoe button but replace fan out with trick shot. I also add bull's eye to concussive blast.. it won't boost concussive blast since it's not a MM ability, but will boost the next lightning fury which will be a lightning fury with all your buffs up.

At the 3 practice dummy I'm at 3200, imagine with 2 you'd be at something like 2200 so using a finisher that hits for less then that isn't worth it - especially not a casted shot like deadeye.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-05-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Triple post!

Just saw this sentence - retest it, trick shot hits harder then fan out and rain of arrows. Only reason to not use 28rng-38mm is if there's only 1 mob or aoe isn't important and needs to be controlled (Grug).... and prob wouldn't use it on Zilas too unless it was my assignment to sit in the middle.
    again i said i only use it on matron. matron has aoe with 15+ mobs at a time, rain of arrows is the highest dps skill for this fight, that is the ONLY time id use this build as 51mm beats it on every single other fight. i thought i made this clear but i guess not. trick shot means nothing for me on matron as it's the only fight id ever use this build for. but my last 5 matron kills i have been bard or the guy up top so ive yet to see her bleed but tonight i plan to be something else hopefully.

again i said i only use it on matron. matron has aoe with 15+ mobs at a time, rain of arrows is the highest dps skill for this fight, that is the ONLY time id use this build as 51mm beats it on every single other fight. i thought i made this clear but i guess not. trick shot means nothing for me on matron as it's the only fight id ever use this build for. but my last 5 matron kills i have been bard or the guy up top so ive yet to see her bleed but tonight i plan to be something else hopefully.
    I understood you - I'm just saying, improve the build and it doesn't have to be. The build is the optimal build on at least 3 encounters.
    Last edited by Mayi; 10-05-2011 at 09:40 AM.

I understood you - I'm just saying, improve the build and it doesn't have to be. The build is the optimal build on at least 3 encounters.
    like i said, if i was going to get imp trick shot, i would drop insta pet summon since that isnt a dps talent, you are only 3/5 double shot, and that talent adds lots of dps... you only need 2/3 prey on the weak in a raid setting, ive tested this many times, raid buffs increase pet crit by a lot.

I will just post here since everyone gravitates to Hoko, even though there are a million MM builds around.

You are going to make things extremely hard on yourselves keeping track of both SF and HS buff. I don't know if everyone who posted "use head shot before strafe" has a synergy crystal. I just picked it up tonight and discovered that once you cast a MM finisher you have like 12s to use empowered shot....that being said, I suggest you use Strafe before Headshot (better yet, just macro it), so that is 1 less buff to focus on...just wait for Strafe to come off CD and use it again. You will have plenty of time to use your CB macro with empowered shot still on CD and get the effect.

I hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast