+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Better weapon rune?

Telaran

Default Better weapon rune?

So maybe my math is wrong but it seems to me that the Ap and crit from 10 dex would be better then 19 crit. I maybe very wrong thats why I am here.

Also i know it will vary spec to spec but is there any general rule of thumb for gearing as far as (x)AP = (x) crit?

I have been valuing AP at a 3-1 ratio over crit but again that just a general impression i gathered for the amount of crit rating to gain a % and how abilities scale with AP.
    Last edited by strykur; 09-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Rift Disciple

Basic rule of thumb: Max crit until 1000 rating, then stack AP.

+10 dex = 10 crit, 5 ap. +10 dex with sab +15% dex = 11.5 crit, 5.75 ap (not sure exactly how it rounds.)

Telaran

Well i know a lot of our trees have abilites that increase AP by a percent or at least will in 1.5 so thats another reason i figured 10 dex over 19 crit. Still not 11% sure like you said with either the sabo or BD 15% ap ur getting 11.5 crit and 5.5 AP from the dex rune that seems to me to be way better then 19 crit. Again this gets even more one sided towards the dex rune if u have builds that have multipliers to AP like i will tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SoAnIs View Post
    Basic rule of thumb: Max crit until 1000 rating, then stack AP.

+10 dex = 10 crit, 5 ap. +10 dex with sab +15% dex = 11.5 crit, 5.75 ap (not sure exactly how it rounds.)
    Why would you stop at 1000 when softcap is 45%, which is approximately 1200 crit rating?

Rift Disciple

because the last 180 points are gained by flask and raidbuffs.
    so 1000 crit without any buffs just by equip is the goal.

Plane Touched

As Almornik said, but I"ll break it down:

45% crit = 1147 crit rating
    Bard buff: 52 dex
    Archon buff: 52 dex
    Flask: 35/40 (depending on how cheap you are, but the 40 isn't really needed)

1147 - 52 - 52 - 35 = 1008 Crit rating

Keep in mind that this does not include Resonance, which gives you a 5% boost to your unbuffed dexterity. In my current gear I soft crit cap at roughly 970 crit.

One thing to note that is fairly important: Talents and spells/buffs which add a flat percentage of crit do not count towards this soft cap. This is strictly based off of stats and talents which increase that stat directly.

Once you pass the soft cap, crit devalues by a factor of 5. That means it takes roughly 5 times as much dex per percent of crit as it does below. That makes AP roughly ten times as good (depending on build) as crit once you hit the soft cap.
    Skiet - Kelari Rogue - Fires of Heaven - Deepwood

Thanks a lot, Daglar.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelan View Post
    As Almornik said, but I"ll break it down:

45% crit = 1147 crit rating
    Bard buff: 52 dex
    Archon buff: 52 dex
    Flask: 35/40 (depending on how cheap you are, but the 40 isn't really needed)

1147 - 52 - 52 - 35 = 1008 Crit rating
    45% crit = 1187 crit rating (actually slightly less than 1187, but more than 1186)

(Gear)

Rift Disciple

what critrating you reach really depents on the %dex-buffs of you skilltrees.
    without anything i just have about 850 crit.
    with saboteur or bladedancer it already gets around 1000.
    with both i reach 1100.
    so you have to chose your favored playstyle and optimise your equip around reaching 1000 crit without buffs but with your skilltree.

Default It doesn't have to be 1k crit rating....

I stopped stacking crit at 850, and when i get raid buffs, i surpass the soft cap by 2-3%. as it stands, raid buff i can get to over 1.2k ap because i started stacking it earlier. (me loves 3-3.5k crit finishers), or almost 2k PER ARROW rfs... so good....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malupit View Post
    I stopped stacking crit at 850, and when i get raid buffs, i surpass the soft cap by 2-3%. as it stands, raid buff i can get to over 1.2k ap because i started stacking it earlier. (me loves 3-3.5k crit finishers), or almost 2k PER ARROW rfs... so good....
    the soft cap applies to your base crit percentage from gear alone.

talents and buffs have nothing to do with the crit soft cap. the soft cap does not restrict crit rating added from talents and buffs.

every post above this one is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Geistcreeper View Post

talents and buffs have nothing to do with the crit soft cap. the soft cap does not restrict crit rating added from talents and buffs.

hahahahahaahah

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    hahahahahaahah
    ^ 10 char ^
    Swirl @ Shatterbone <Fracture> http://fracture-rift.guildlaunch.com/
    HK: 10/11 | R7
    "Three be the things I shall never attain: envy, content, and sufficient champagne"

Screw crit.
    Back to topic.
    You might want to use on mainhand Baneful Rune.
    Procs even with ranged attacks.
    Then stack crit or Dex if you are close to 1000 crit.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Geistcreeper View Post

Dunsparrow explains how the crit cap works here:
    http://www.dunsparrow.com/2011/07/crit-cap-in-14.html

Buffs do count against the crit cap when they increase you Dex, so do Runes, Augments, potions. ANY increase is crit FROM DEX counts against the cap regardless of the source.

The only things that don't count are skills that add a flat % of crit like from Assasin and Ranger. Because they add CRIT not DEX. Added crit from DEX counts, added crit from SKILLS doesn't.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by strykur View Post
    So maybe my math is wrong but it seems to me that the Ap and crit from 10 dex would be better then 19 crit. I maybe very wrong thats why I am here.

Also i know it will vary spec to spec but is there any general rule of thumb for gearing as far as (x)AP = (x) crit?
    I wouldn't worry about trying to micro manage it with any kind of formula. Just use DEX augments, DEX runes, 6 DEX/AP lesser essences in your sigil and you will be fine. You will get enough crit from your gear, from stacking Dex and from skills you won't need any crit from Augemts/Runes/Essences.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast