+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I've got a cool story, bro, and it all started with playing rogue classes in DAoC..

Champion

Default I've got a cool story, bro, and it all started with playing rogue classes in DAoC..

Rogues classes in DAoC were comprised of assassin types relying on melee and a powerful opening attack, archers relying on long distances and a powerful opening attack, or the lone exception of a Minstrel, which played kind of like a Bard in Rift with more offense and no healing. The comparisons are there from top to bottom as I'm sure they are for a large number of other MMORPGs.

Perhaps the most important detail for rogues in DAoC was that not one of these classes could level well, farm, or meaningfully contribute to group PvE or non-stealther group PvP at all or at least in a way that made them even a fraction as viable as other classes. As a result, those who leveled rogue class-types as alternate characters to their primary farming and group capable mains would go on to be much more successful. Generally speaking, to play a rogue competitively and as anything less than a full-time job in DAoC, one would have to make or gain access to multiple accounts for farming, power leveling, and later the completion of high-end PvE for artifact items with classes that were dedicated to and capable of doing so.

With all that in mind upon coming back to MMORPGs with Rift, I've been incredibly happy that I could solo level, farm, gank, and contribute meaningfully in all group PvE and PvP content from the same rogue character. Sure, we may be a little lacking in PvE DPS compared to certain specs, and in PvP archer types maybe suffering a bit of an identity crisis as a less effective mage on wheels without a strong, ranged opener from stealth. However, in Rift we're still more capable than our counterparts from previous games like DAoC and ought not forget just how far we've come all while still retaining the ability to stealth and gank effectively (at least upon reaching R8).

TL;DR version (c'mon, it's three paragraphs...): rogues are lacking in certain areas but we could have it worse as mostly a niche solo PvP class like we did in DAoC. No matter what complaint intensive individuals playing this class say, we still have our cake (viability for our most class defining feature: stealth ganking) and can eat it too (viability for group content). We ought to be thankful for what we do have before ripping into what we don't.
    Last edited by rennlc; 09-23-2011 at 09:13 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

TLDR: Hey guys! Rogues had it worse 10 years ago in another game, so stop crying!
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 09-23-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Champion

Hm, I just got punked. Or would he rename it to "dun"ked?

Telaran

I played daoc on and off since beta. pve was just about non existent, it was only used to level to 50 for rvr and after they brought in instances there wasnt even any grouping for pve left at all.

I played most of albions and mids classes to 50 but my mains were always stealthers, scout, sb and inf. i rarely grouped with anyone in a stealth group, i prefered to solo grief the massive packs of rangers and participate in large sieges.
    Last edited by Malorik; 09-23-2011 at 09:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread