+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger Build - PTS

Default Ranger Build - PTS

Ok, so I was playing around on the PTS today and came across this ranger build that was holding between 1500-1600 dps on the Boss Practice Dummy. I'm just wondering if anyone else was getting numbers like this, with a similar gear load out. I just transfered my character from live, and got the ranger crystal.

Build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0VMcx0b.x0x0m

Gear:
    Durne's Plundering Helm w/ Icewatch Rune(+11 Dex & +8 End)
    Durne's Pllundering Shoulderpads w/ +13 Dex rune
    Durne's Plundering Jerkin w/ +13 Dex rune
    Durne's Plundering Gloves w/ +15 Physical Crit rune
    Strap of the Architect /w Mathos Rune(+10 Dex & +6 End)
    Durne's Plundering Breeches w/ Dragonslayer Rune(+12 Dex & +9 End)
    Durne's Plundering Boots w/ PVP Rune(+12 Dex & +8 End)
    Fang of the Life Lord w/ +10 Dex RUne
    The Dire Blade w/ +10 Dex Rune
    Double Barreled Problem Solver w/ +10 Dex Rune
    Necrotic Scarab Amulet
    Skull of Damnation(PVP)
    Nimble Deathbringer Band
    Jewel of Shining Darkness
    Blighted Ranger Crystal

Source Machine Stat's: 56 Str - 99 Dex - 16 AP - 100 PCrit - Predatory Soulstone(+100 AP from Shadow Fire)

Stat's: 691 Dex - 723 AP - 987 PCrit (Tooltip says 47.42%) - 299 Hit

Macro #1
    #show shadow fire
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    cast shadow fire
    cast splinter shot

Macro #2
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    cast piercing shot
    cast crippling shot
    cast quick shot

Rotation I used:
    Macro #1 x 2 -> Macro #2 -> Head Shot
    Macro #2 till 5 combo points -> Rapid Fire SHot
    Macro #2 till 5 combo points -> Head Shot ----------- Repeat until SF & RFS are ready to pop again.

Self Buffed with: Predatory Instincts - Electrified Munitions - Virulent Poison
    Had a friend give me fervor

And before anyone says it, yes I know it has ZERO aeo. So only really good for single target. And yes, on live my macro's have all the pet attacks seperated out.... but just threw this together for a quick test.

Anyway, would like to know if i'm on the right track, or if I should go back to the drawing board...... so far, this build has performed the best for me. Thanks for any & all constructive feed back.
    Retired from raiding

Drop master huntsman. go 18 in MM.

omg its teh Sozu spec.
    Tetsusaiga
    Faeblight
    GM of Antioch

Slightly more gear than you (4 piece r8, t3 head and gloves on pts, r8 gun) pulling 1600 with 51MM/15rng, no +100 AP stone, self buffs only, no debuffs on dummy.

(Gear)

Soulwalker

In before the NERF!
    Last edited by Deepzter; 09-22-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Not saying it's bad, but there are a few problems with a build like that.

#1 - Pet reliance
    #2 - No AoE

Now, you may think #2 is obvious/not major, but consider this. Sab builds will pull very close to(or more) than that for ST, and STOMP it in AoE. Why not just do that?

Maybe you are casual or just like Ranger or whatever, I'm not sure. For those who raid, these are things that matter though. Trion needs to understand that ST builds need to do more ST DPS than Sabdancer because they lack the AoE and utility (incriminate and silence/interrupt for example).

One way or another, Rogues will come out on top this patch. If they don't make us comparable to Warriors, I swear I'll just start incriminating the DPS Warriors :P

Yeah, i'm a big fan of the ranger for it's pet....

And I hate MM, and sabo is just no fun to play. But, I guess..... if you want to keep your raid spot, you'd better just suck it up, go sabdancer......

And yeah, when raiding I go sabdancer... but would much rather go ranger. Oh well, I guess i'll just have t wait and see what the final 1.5 patch looks like.
    Retired from raiding

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Yeah, i'm a big fan of the ranger for it's pet....

And I hate MM, and sabo is just no fun to play. But, I guess..... if you want to keep your raid spot, you'd better just suck it up, go sabdancer......

And yeah, when raiding I go sabdancer... but would much rather go ranger. Oh well, I guess i'll just have t wait and see what the final 1.5 patch looks like.
    Don't get me wrong, Saboteur has never been a style that I found remotely interesting. I hate the current state of PvE DPS on live, and am extremely ticked that it may not be changing much. This is just what our guilds are going to expect until Trion gets the clue.

The one the devs came up with is decent, here it is slightly modified. Look on the PTS forums for the original:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...z.V0b.x0x0V0Ah

Macros:

show shadowfire
    cast shadowfire
    cast crippling shot
    cast quick shot

show rapid fire shot
    cast rapid fire shot
    cast head shot

Enchants - hellfire blades and electified munitions

I'm not too fond of pet builds myself so haven't really looked too much into ranger, but maybe try something like this instead?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0M.E0x0V0AudR

It's heavier MM with a pet, and I'd use the marksman synergy crystal for instant empowered shot too. I'm not sure if MM increasing the damage of casted abilities would buff it's damage when it's instant? You'd have to test it out.

Might be OK, might be crap.... point is I'd look at mixing the 38 passive in MM with ranger - use headshot for the staple finisher. MM increasing the casted ability damage makes the casted stuff in ranger not suck as much.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-23-2011 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    The one the devs came up with is decent, here it is slightly modified. Look on the PTS forums for the original:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...z.V0b.x0x0V0Ah

Macros:

show shadowfire
    cast shadowfire
    cast crippling shot
    cast quick shot

show rapid fire shot
    cast rapid fire shot
    cast head shot

Enchants - hellfire blades and electified munitions

I'm not too fond of pet builds myself so haven't really looked too much into ranger, but maybe try something like this instead?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0M.E0x0V0AudR

It's heavier MM with a pet, and I'd use the marksman synergy crystal for instant empowered shot too. I'm not sure if MM increasing the damage of casted abilities would buff it's damage when it's instant? You'd have to test it out.

Might be OK, might be crap.... point is I'd look at mixing the 38 passive in MM with ranger - use headshot for the staple finisher. MM increasing the casted ability damage makes the casted stuff in ranger not suck as much.
    Damn I'm good Build is good and parses high with the crystal, energy starved though so I'll have to wait until tonight to test with guldies with fervor.

Inc 20 threads naming builds with 1 point differences after themselves...

Some variants you could try:

- is it better for those 2 dump points to be put into Riftstalker for AP, further up the MM tree for a better passive, or more into ranger for shadowfire passive?
    - crippling and piercing now hit for less then quick - is it better to 2/3 quick and use them for dot ticks of 3/3 quick and skip crippling?
    - doublehot is a decent dps increase (about 20 per point usually) but doesn't proc electrified on the double attack... might be best to dump those points there

Anyways, build might be OK for those who like ranger. I have 0 interest in playing ranger so someone else do the dirty work, I'm not interested.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-23-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Calo View Post
    Not saying it's bad, but there are a few problems with a build like that.

#1 - Pet reliance
    Well, if people don't like to rely on pet for damage, why bother even going for Ranger? It's only a problem because Ranger's pet damage sucks and that is a design issue.

Rift Disciple

I am assuming you were using Raptor for damage right? How much dps did it do?

drop piercing shot as it's a dps loss in a raid, drop 2 from prey on the weak and gain rain of arrows, add point to mm and you have my identical ranger build that does very good dps, it's not better than saboteur for anything but it sure beats mm for 90% of encounters where you have to move at all :P

was 50dps behind my saboteur build, but RFS is so buggy i just have no clue what the point of it is. why does it crit for 10k sometimes? i think that inflates the parses but both ranger and mm suffer from this, saboteur does not.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread