+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dunharrow

Thread: How to Fix Saboteur -or- Stop Buffing Bomb Damage

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default How to Fix Saboteur -or- Stop Buffing Bomb Damage

Right now Saboteur is a soul apart. It is currently top DPS in PvE, due mostly to a bizarre interaction that lets it make better use of Deadly Dance than any other soul.

It seems that the goal for Saboteur is using a mixture of charges, bombs and detonate. The problem is that this goal runs totally contrary to the only reason saboteur is useful. Bombs do not grant combo points, do not benefit from Deadly Dance, and do not mesh into any sort of DPS rotation that a player would naturally use. Continually buffing bomb damage will not change this simple fact.

Furthermore, Saboteur has all kinds of strange and mediocre charges that see little-to-no use. Ember Charge, Splinter Charge, Concussion Charge, Caltrop Charge, etc. see very little use in actual gameplay because of their limited usefulness. Meanwhile Shrapnel Charge, Spike Charge and Blast Charge (with the buffs in 1.5) are extremely useful.

I think the solution for this problem is to better integrate bombs into the rotation, and slim down the number of ability choices, while making the soul more continuous. Here's how I would do it:

Bombs
    • Fragmentation Bomb removed.
    • New Ability: Embers Bomb: Hurls a bomb that deals XX damage to up to 10 enemies in the targeted area and causes affected enemies to take 5% more non-physical damage for 30 seconds. 30 second cooldown.
    • New Ability: Splinter Bomb: Hurls a bomb that deals XX damage to up to 10 enemies in the targeted area and reduces the armor of affected enemies by 540 for 30 seconds. 30 second cooldown.
    • Annihilation Bomb: Renamed Concussion Bomb. No longer detonates charges. Now deals significantly increased damage and stuns enemies for 3 seconds.

Charges
    • Concussion Charge removed (shares functionality with Concussion Bomb).
    • Caltrop Charge removed (shares functionality with Adhesive Bomb).
    • Shrapnel Charge removed (functionality incorporated into Fragmentation).
    • Splinter Charge removed (incorporated into Splinter Bomb).
    • Embers Charge removed (incorporated into Embers Bomb).
    • Blast Charge: Now deals Earth damage.
    • Spike Charge: Now deals Earth damage.

Finishers
    • Any Finisher will now detonate all charges on the target.
    • Detonate: Renamed Detonation. Damage unchanged. Detonates all charges on the target, boosting their damage by 20%.
    • New Ability: Fragmentation: Deals XX damage to the enemy and up to 10 enemies around it. Detonates all charges on the target and applies the charge's damage to all enemies affected by the blast.
    • New Ability: Annihilation (51 point): Deals XX damage to the enemy. Detonates all charges on the target, boosting their damage by 100%.

I think these changes would give bombs a logical place in dealing damage, eliminate a lot of the overlap and clutter, and firm up the saboteur role. It will also create a bit of synergy between Saboteur and other souls that currently does not exist (other than Deadly Dance). If Trion plans to make bombs useful by increasing their damage, then they better crank that biyatch to 11, because its not even a close decision at 200% AP contribution (the current setting on test).
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 09-22-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Rift Chaser

It doesn't work.

You can't have the charges be fantastic damage, it will break PvP.

So long as Saboteur is a damage soul it will be in a binary position. It will either do good damage and break PvP, or it will not do good damage and be useless in PvP.

The only solution is to move the soul to utility/support.

Ooo... how about a new ability... a healing bomb/charges. Would combine nicely for bards.

"not benefit from Deadly Dance"

Do you play Sabauter into PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by Falty View Post
    "not benefit from Deadly Dance"

Do you play Sabauter into PvP?
    My post says that Bombs do not benefit from Deadly Dance. They don't.

To answer your question, I don't play Sab in PvP, but I see rogues who do. I call them "Blood Thirsty pylons" because its always handy to have an enemy sab around to heal myself when I'm fighting someone tough like a warrior.

Won't happen, too much recoding involved for so much change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Won't happen, too much recoding involved for so much change.
    Zzzz. Incoming 500% AP contribution on bomb damage.

Seems they took the lazy mans approach to the changes in 1.5, ah well, at least I'll get to bard in hammerknell like I did last night, downed 4 bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    My post says that Bombs do not benefit from Deadly Dance. They don't.

To answer your question, I don't play Sab in PvP, but I see rogues who do. I call them "Blood Thirsty pylons" because its always handy to have an enemy sab around to heal myself when I'm fighting someone tough like a warrior.
    Boost Bomb are very usefull for PvP. Bombs are priority for PvP. If you want to kill player (1on1) you need BOMBS!!! I have not problem that bombs dont proc with deadly dance.

Absolutly priority saboter is poor survivality.
    Last edited by Falty; 09-22-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falty View Post
    Boost Bomb are very usefull for PvP. Bombs are priority for PvP. If you want to kill player (1on1) you need BOMBS!!! I have not problem than bombs dont proc with deadly dance.

Absolutly priority saboter is poor survivality.
    Sorry, I just has a funny picture of someone dancing with bombs in their hands.
    Last edited by -Bowser-; 09-22-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Banned

Most of the debuffs still get overwritten no matter what and wont be a dps increase by using them since they dont last long enough. The only thing I like is your new Fragmentation but its only good because its OP.
    Last edited by Vindicit; 09-22-2011 at 09:40 AM.

For a second there, I thought this was a Dr. Strangelove reference. I'm disappointed, Dun.

+ Reply to Thread