+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should Rogues have a higher crit cap?

Default Should Rogues have a higher crit cap?

I'm at the crit cap right now, and my guild hasn't even cleared GSB yet. I think it's sort of odd how higher level rogue raid items have even more crit on them, considering anyone in decent gear seems to be at or above the crit cap. Since our primary stat gives us +crit, and the secondary stat on almost all our gear is +crit, shouldn't we have a higher cap? Or am I being irrational.
    ~Quiescent

yep, thats basically all that we need right now, would fix alot of problems, raise our crit-softcap to 50%..just 5% more, crithardcap can stay the same
    Apotheosys/Typhiria
    Genjuro@Typhiria Warrior HM Crucia, HK 11/11, GP HM 4/4, MoM 5/9 World 1st
    Miralda@Brutwacht Rogue HK 11/11, GP HM 4/4 World 4th

Or they could instate less scaling once you're over 45% or something, instead of stopping the scaling altogether.

It seems weird though, because thinking far into the future, when rogues and warriors are both at the crit cap effortlessly, Warriors will scale effectively 25% better than we do, because of the weight of STR to AP.
    ~Quiescent

Prophet of Telara

Well, I can't say that this will hold true after 1.5 with whatever changes may or may not happen...

But, on live currently, I have always felt like Rogues were balanced around a lot of crits. The only time it ever feels like my Rogue is doing good damage is when getting a string of crits. My mage/warrior have always felt like they are fine without crits, and that crits were some kind of "bonus". Now we are suddenly getting stuck around the same crit rate as everyone else without the extra "oomph".

With more abilities scaling on AP now in 1.5 though, maybe we won't seem so crit-reliant...who knows.

*This particular post is from a PvE perspective.

Champion of Telara

Rogues in Rift have no exponential damage mechanics that result from crits (WoW energy regeneration on crits, for example).

As long as we do not get exponential returns from critting, I don't see any reason why Rogues get a brick wall of a softcap.

Gear in Rift has been inflating pretty damn fast though. Currently we're at "T4" (or Raid T2). At the current rate, BIS gear from the next tier would put us at the 60%+ crit rate, unbuffed if there were no softcap. That means 75% crit rate in raids, with many specific talented abilities pushing into the 80s and 90s.

So that kind of cuts it off from an itemization perspective -- it's a bad idea to let players hit a "real" softcap at 60-65% unbuffed crit, because then we start *****ing hardcore about itemization, and Trion has 0 wiggle room except to raise the level cap. The current softcap gives them time to deal with the crit rate inflation of gear -- allows them to re-tool specs to use more AP (sound familiar?) so that they can reassess the balance of AP and crit (and value of crit in general) and then re-tune gear and content from there. Once AP is in good balance with crit rate, they could possibly remove the cap. Or, given that we're used to it, just leave it there just because.

I'm sure Trion will continue changing the stat distribution as time goes on. For now, even with HK gear you can adjust your AP upwards to avoid the crit cap at all times. For starters, you can use nothing but essences with AP on them instead of crit. This will change it quite a bit. Next, only bid for items without crit on them, or minimize the items you take with crit on them. Basically, you should try to balance your AP/crit gains until you hit the softcap, then with every new upgrade, change something around so you are always at and never above 1186 rating fully raid buffed. This would be considered AP stacking. However, while stacking AP, always try to be at or around the softcap and you'll be fine.

Things are fine the way they are right now. You might need to look at being more worried about coming up with the T4 gear than worrying over numbers, until you have the gear to truly over-itemize every detail.

Use + ap lessers in your sigil - profit.

It's a short term solution when there are supposedly next tier essences coming out with harder raid rifts, but in the meantime it works. If they're like what's included on PTS with raid T2 gear they all have +crit and +ap.

I think they put in a crit cap because rogues would have scaled too well. With Sabdancer I was hitting 200 dps higher then it is now on PTS without a crit cap and all those +dex buffs. Without a cap Sabdancer will be the highest dps because of scaling pretty easily - and people will really be pigeonholed into playing it. Adding a cap allows more variety.

Hopefully they'll find a happy medium between the awesome scaling of +dex talents and crit cap.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.

+ Reply to Thread