+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Rogue Tips

Soulwalker

Default Starting Rogue Tips

Just curious if any experience rogues could post a quick reply stating some of the more common builds, either ranged or melee dps. I see a lot of random spec names like stabdancer or such, but none of these threads actually go into what the spec actually is or rotations. It also doesnt help that theres no sticky guide for "how to rogue" basically.

Anywho, it would be more appreciated if someone could throw some adivce in. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alazin View Post
    Just curious if any experience rogues could post a quick reply stating some of the more common builds, either ranged or melee dps. I see a lot of random spec names like stabdancer or such, but none of these threads actually go into what the spec actually is or rotations. It also doesnt help that theres no sticky guide for "how to rogue" basically.

Anywho, it would be more appreciated if someone could throw some adivce in. Thank you.
    Try this article: http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/08/2...ide/#more-9967

Has some pretty good advice. I would suggest though that as soon as you hit 21 that you create a stealth role (21 Assassin) for moving around. It may not be your "main" spec, but it's pretty handy to have on hand.
    Telarans on class balance: Rock is overpowered. Paper is fine. - Scissors

I'll give this a go since no one else has responded. I assume you're 50? Here's what I do:

PvP - 51 sin-15 infiltrator- 0 mm.

You'll have to look up the build yourself and then tweak it since you're a new rogue and won't be able to pickup 15 infiltrator. Strategies 1v1:

Warriors - Open with jagged strike build to 5 combo points and then impale. Slip away immediately. From stealth spam expose weakness on them (which will lock them in combat I believe) and wait for all your dots to tick away. Once your dots have run their course, repeat for a PK. If they have a full heal you're hosed.

Clerics - Open with jagged strike build to 5 combo points and then impale. Then apply anathema. Try to stay behind them so your backstab will fire. Clerics aren't too bad unless in a healing warden build. For the full healer build you'll get detaunted and be chasing them around for a minute or two. Once Anathema comes back up: slip away - jagged - build to 5 impale - anathema and you'll get a PK. Most clerics burn their detaunt while kiting you. Be aware of suroundings because they will try to knockback you.

Mages - Same as clerics but more difficult. Good R8 mages are unkillable.

Rogues - Same basic rotation. If they slip away wait for then to open and - break free - slip away - open again. The damage increase and reduction makes a difference. I've PK'd lots of rogues by slipping away who jump me.

PvE - Sabdancer

The original.. use the puncture variant. Basicly press buttons and don't stand in stuff. You could also look around for the 44 sab build which is decent and ranged. AoE is good in T2s with so much trash.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-21-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Banned

Select start screen.
    Select any other class than rogue.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0VRcxcb.VV0G0s

thats pretty much the only spec you'll ever need for pve

4 spike keen strike deadly strike puncture spike charge detoneate
    5 shrapnel charge detonate

learn it love it live it

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Here's the best tip I can give you for starting a rogue:

- Don't.

If you want to tank roll warrior. If you want to heal/support roll mage. If you want to heal roll cleric. If you want to dps roll Warr/Mage. If you want the weakest tank class, the weakest pvp class and a marginally respectable pve dps class roll rogue.
    Split - Rogue Tank - Purge to Win
    GSB - 5/5 / RoS - 4/4 / HK - 11/11

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    Here's the best tip I can give you for starting a rogue:

- Don't.

If you want to tank roll warrior. If you want to heal/support roll mage. If you want to heal roll cleric. If you want to dps roll Warr/Mage. If you want the weakest tank class, the weakest pvp class and a marginally respectable pve dps class roll rogue.
    You sound like this guy named Dunsparrow I know

Quote Originally Posted by Bloatdawg View Post
    Or you know, 95% of rogues. Except for those who think we're fine. Of which I've seen maybe... oh I dunno... 3 posts?
    Split - Rogue Tank - Purge to Win
    GSB - 5/5 / RoS - 4/4 / HK - 11/11

Quote Originally Posted by Bloatdawg View Post
    Unfortunately its the truth and people who say other wise only have played rogues... I almost got my mage to 50 now which will give me a 50 of every class and I can say rogues are very underpowered compared to the other classes... playing my mage its ridiculous how much burst i can put out with certain cooldowns compared to what my rogue can do
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    Unfortunately its the truth and people who say other wise only have played rogues... I almost got my mage to 50 now which will give me a 50 of every class and I can say rogues are very underpowered compared to the other classes... playing my mage its ridiculous how much burst i can put out with certain cooldowns compared to what my rogue can do
    Back when I was leveling my Rogue, there are several things I recall. Energy starvation was constant. I was squishy as heck. I missed constantly (at low-mid level before there was really any +hit gear). Damage seemed OK, but I didn't feel like I packed a punch unless I was getting crits.

Been playing my mage a lot lately, and the difference is ridiculous. There is no such thing as going OOM if you know how to use all the abilities available. I have several abilities that help me maintain my mana. Although I am squishy, I have plenty of "oh crap" abilities to get me out of nearly every situation. Killing groups of mobs a level above me is something my Rogue could never do. Damage feels like it is packing a punch without crits, which is good since I don't get as many...more like dynamite with them.

As far as PvP goes, I pretty much chuckle at Rogues that attack me. Owning them when they did everything right definitely feels like it is on the wrong side of right.

No, it's not level 50 or P8 experience yet, but it will be eventually, and from what I've seen so far the difference is night and day.

*EDIT* I've also played a 50 Warrior. My best friend was claiming they were weak during their domination and I felt the need to show him that he was wrong. After a quick Google search and showing him a few things, he's much happier now.
    Last edited by Calo; 09-21-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calo View Post
    Back when I was leveling my Rogue, there are several things I recall. Energy starvation was constant. I was squishy as heck. I missed constantly (at low-mid level before there was really any +hit gear). Damage seemed OK, but I didn't feel like I packed a punch unless I was getting crits.

Been playing my mage a lot lately, and the difference is ridiculous. There is no such thing as going OOM if you know how to use all the abilities available. I have several abilities that help me maintain my mana. Although I am squishy, I have plenty of "oh crap" abilities to get me out of nearly every situation. Killing groups of mobs a level above me is something my Rogue could never do. Damage feels like it is packing a punch without crits, which is good since I don't get as many...more like dynamite with them.

As far as PvP goes, I pretty much chuckle at Rogues that attack me. Owning them when they did everything right definitely feels like it is on the wrong side of right.

No, it's not level 50 or P8 experience yet, but it will be eventually, and from what I've seen so far the difference is night and day.

*EDIT* I've also played a 50 Warrior. My best friend was claiming they were weak during their domination and I felt the need to show him that he was wrong. After a quick Google search and showing him a few things, he's much happier now.
    you can also look on youtube at bleeds pyro/dom videos and watch the burst he can put out with split personality his summoned voids are hitting for 1k hits each on top of everything else he is pouring out on them.. Even with IH&R rogue can't put anywhere near this damage out not to mention all the mage damage is non-physical on top of that even if you put 51 pointss into MM and 15 inf for pure damage build you couldn't match the damage mage puts out with 31 in a damage soul and rest in support.. pretty sad actually
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.

Ascendant

Just curious if any experience rogues could post a quick reply stating some of the more common builds, either ranged or melee dps.
    1) Roll a warrior

2) Faceroll everyone

3) ???

4) Profit

Soulwalker

I appreciate those who posted in here, but the interesting thing is I was asking for tips and specs to play with. I know and have read enough to hear that rogues are at a weak spot but all things get balanced in time and I'd rather not have to reroll a flavor of the month class just to have them bring rogues up later. Its better to play the class which interests me and wait out the storm.

So... if anyone has any actual builds that are in use I'd appreciate it =).

51 Assassin and 15 RS is nice.

40 Assassin and 26 RS is also fun. Nice for PVE to because you heal for about 2k health when you kill an npc while you have 5 points on him.

I was using 51 Sin and 15 INf, but I find I get more dps from using 15 RS, pluss the heal debuff from Inf is uselss, once cleaned, might as well slipaway lol. Also, youy will llllive longer lol.

I appreciate those who posted in here, but the interesting thing is I was asking for tips and specs to play with. I know and have read enough to hear that rogues are at a weak spot but all things get balanced in time and I'd rather not have to reroll a flavor of the month class just to have them bring rogues up later. Its better to play the class which interests me and wait out the storm.

So... if anyone has any actual builds that are in use I'd appreciate it =).
    Look at sticky look at Cuisinart build that and sin is all you need for leveling... sin build mostly just to be able to stealth past crap you don't feel like killing... as for PVP take your pick MM is strong pre50 sin is most fun pre50 imho oh forgot put together bard for dungeons if you plan on running them... ques go much faster when you que support and damage
    Last edited by sanosuke; 09-21-2011 at 09:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread