+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm a FNG - Help with build please?

Default I'm a FNG - Help with build please?

My main DPS guild for groups is currently http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ftsfqddR.V0xkh. My only macro is:
    #show backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast serpent strike
    cast backstab
    cast savage strike
    cast quick shot

My range DPS build for groups is currently: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0x0V0c.0VMcx0b. My only macro here is:
    #show Quick Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast quick shot
    cast swift shot
    cast swift shot
    cast swift shot
    cast head shot

In a random dungeon I was told my DPS is lame which I wouldn't disagree with since my gear sucks and I am trying to get back into playing again (I took a break in March and just came back a few days ago). That said, anything I should consider changing (other than my gear, I am trying to do that; I am an Outfitter and I have some Plaqs/Inscribed/Marks) to help my DPS along? I am also trying to ACT to start parsing so I can check my DPS on my own. I'd link my gear if I had a profile like Magelo to link heh (does on exist?). Also when I'd just learned macros so coming back I am not even sure what's good and what the timing pauses are etc. Anyway, help? Please?

-Cylint
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

Plane Touched

Couple things. First of all, I'm not sure you understand how macros work, as your ranged macro will only ever fire Quick Shot. Secondly, What type of build would you like to play, for both melee and ranged? You're not on the bleeding edge and there are several builds that will likely perform quite similarly, if we have an idea as to what you want we can suggest something, including macros.

Your ranger spec is close, but needs a bit of tweaking. 51 Assassin is terrible for dungeons/raids at the moment, though it may be more competitive in 1.5.
    Skiet - Kelari Rogue - Fires of Heaven - Deepwood

Thanks a lot, Daglar.

First, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I am trying to go Assassin as it is a class I have enjoyed through all MMOs. With that regard, I want a class (rogue) that has the best bang for the buck in PVE group content and maybe if time permits one that is usable on raids (probably would be rolling 2 different roles but I understand that). On group content (rift raids included) where AE is no problem then I want to get in and bang. I like close in dirty fighting. On content where you want to avoid AEs or otherwise be more mobile, I'd like the better of the two specs, Marksman or Ranger. That said, with the stand and bang DPS role I am willing to take a different primary class. I am still flexible enough that I can learn a new class should it come to that.

The Ranger macro I got from here I think (or something like that; it may have even been from another board), around late February/early March and the Rogue macro I got from another rogue in game around that same time, an Assassin (his DPS was way better than mine). I was told that the Serpent Strike was supposed to improve with a patch sometime later in Feb/March but I was not around for that.

You are right though, I have no F'n clue about macros, lol.

-Cylint
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

Plane Touched

Regarding Macros:

The Rift macro system basically takes the first usable ability and casts it. That's it. As a result, you will want to put your abilities in order of priority, remembering that anything that's spammable will always be cast. As a result you want anything with a cooldown on top. As quick shot is spammable, nothing else in that macro would ever be cast.

As far as dps, the unquestioned best melee dps spec at the moment is the 'sabdancer', which combines saboteur, assassin, and bladedancer as a melee spec. This is it:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VV0G0s.0VRcxcb

Rotation:

Puncture > Spike Charge x3 > Deadly Strike > Spike Charge x2 > Detonate
    Shrapnel Charge x5 > Detonate

Couple things that aren't obvious about the spec. First, this spec revolves around the talent Deadly Dance, which basically increases the damage of the next 3 CP-builders by 105% after Deadly Strike. There's a secondary component that makes it simply increase the damage of the next stack of charges by the same, rather than only 3 abilities. The rotation is set up to buff both stacks of charges on one Deadly Strike. Second, charges are considered poisons in game mechancs so the Poison Potency talent increases all charge damage by 15%.

Incriminate macro:

#show Incriminate
    suppressmacrofailures
    focus *charname*
    cast @focus Incriminate
    clearfocus

There is a variant of this which uses Backstab instead of puncture and has a higher top end, but it's generally considered 'safer' to use the Puncture variant due to movement in fights.

Once 1.5 hits there will be other specs that will beat Sabdancer, but the PTS changes aren't finalized so we are not really sure what those will be as nobody's really done extensive testing yet.

As far as ranged specs, you basically have two options: Ranged Saboteur and the "Sozu build". Ranged sab has pretty much the easiest rotation in the game, and it is pretty straightforward:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...xkoR.M.0VMcxcb

Rotation is:
    Spike Charge x5 > Detonate
    Shrapnel Charge x5 > Detonate

Be sure to not clip your Spike Charge--if necessary throw a frag bomb or something after the second rotation to wait for it to expire.

'Sozu' (the most common name, though it was around back in alpha, before anyone knew who Sozu was) is almost the exact build you are using. Here's a link to his most recent update to it:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...2-revised.html

For anything else, feel free to check out the Compendium, stickied at the top of the forum. Just be aware that many of those builds are out of date and have had modifications to them or have plain been made obsolete.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...um-rogues.html
    Last edited by Caelan; 09-20-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks a lot, Daglar.

Thanks! I will check out the links then work the specs a bit. If I have any questions I'll either reply here or PM you (if that's alright).

-Cylint

Wow I just gave it a run and I like it. Question though, for the incriminate macro, am I using my self for the focus? Or am I using the mob/tank?

This is what I put in my macro:

#show Incriminate
    suppressmacrofailures
    focus Cylint
    cast Incriminate
    clearfocus

Plane Touched

You want to focus your tank. Incriminate transfers all your aggro for the next 6 seconds to whoever you focus. So, build your charges, and incriminate before you detonate them, and you've frontloaded quite a bit of aggro towards your tank. Does wonders.

Thanks a lot, Daglar.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Cylint Nyte View Post
    Wow I just gave it a run and I like it. Question though, for the incriminate macro, am I using my self for the focus? Or am I using the mob/tank?

This is what I put in my macro:

#show Incriminate
    suppressmacrofailures
    focus Cylint
    cast Incriminate
    clearfocus
    just make it:

#show Incriminate
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Incriminate

use /focus *tanks name* when you join a group or after you / the tank dies.

incriminate is cast directly to your tank and not via the boss' target of target, since they tend to switch targets for various mechanics, it also defeats the purpose of using incriminate when someone pulls threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromagis View Post
    Warriors are on par with cleric and rogue tanking
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromagis View Post
    Rogues can out mitigate warriors damage (And they have 1 tanking soul, go figure.)

+ Reply to Thread