+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogue tank need help answering questions.

Soulwalker

Default Rogue tank need help answering questions.

I'm fairly new to the game and really new to rogue tanking (lvl24) from I have done it's exciting. But then I start pouring the forums for build advice and it's been ok so far. The build seems pretty simple but it leaves me with a few questions. I know must of these questions have been asked but there is so much info on these forums it's hard to sort through.

Is 51rs build only ones out there and why? Why not go further into the bladedancer tree?

I have been stacking dex and endurance also any str I can find. My dodge is at 12.5% and my parry hovers around 2% unbuffed. Am I doing something wrong or it just going to be that low.

Pouring through the forums I have seen that rogues do well tanking t2 but hear very little about raid tanking are just incapable of tanking them? I'm not to concerned about seeing how my guild needs dps but I would like to know if I wanted to tank one I could.

Just let me say thank you before hand for any comments.
    Last edited by Frigid Jinx; 09-20-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Telaran

The 51 RS build isn't the only one out there. There's the 44/22 RS/BD. people go for 51 build because the build maximizes damage mitigation.

Mok
    Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Frigid Jinx View Post
    Is 51rs build only ones out there and why? Why not go further into the bladedancer tree?
    There was some debate on going 49RS/17Blade Dancer come 1.5, but that was too avoidance reliant for my taste, and I would stick with the common 51/8/7.

The furthest I would go into Blade Dancer would be 12 points for an interrupt, but interrupts aren't really needed and there is too much DPS fluff in Blade Dancer tree to warrant losing 4% damage reduction, 3% health in order to get an interrupt. As Paikis stated in another thread, the only skill I can imagine interrupting is Gregori (of DSM)'s Death Blast, but that hits me for about 7,000 max.

I have been stacking dex and endurance also any str I can find. My dodge is at 12.5% and my parry hovers around 2% unbuffed. Am I doing something wrong or it just going to be that low.
    At Tier 1 raid gear, I am at 18.4% dodge and 4.6% parry unbuffed, so you are doing fine. For your stats, continue doing what you're doing, but treat Strength as the Marshmallows in Swiss-Miss packets-- nice, but I would prefer more chocolate instead.

Pouring through the forums I have seen that rogues do well tanking t2 but hear very little about raid tanking are just incapable of tanking them? I'm not to concerned about seeing how my guild needs dps but I would like to know if I wanted to tank one I could.
    Rogues are perfectly capable of tanking raids, until you step into Hammerknell. If my guild wanted to raids slower, I could main tank all the bosses of GSB, RoS, GP, and DH-- I just don't, since our warrior tank is a badass of a tank. Its not that rogues can't tank raids (until HK), its just that it is easier with a warrior on most encounters.

I would look over at the PTS closely. The RS is changing DRAMATICALLY.

Namely the highest threat generation will come from teleporting now instead of using single target planar strike and rift disturbance. Notice in the notes it says these abilities have their threat reduced.

Guardian Phase and Teleporting will generate higher aoe threat.

Also - with the new single target heal capability with the bard 6 points in, makes a strong case to use that as the assist soul instead of ranger. This is coming from someone whom used the Ranger soul instead of the Bard. I'm going to be switching now when this patch drops.

Oh Phantom Blow is a ten second CD now, so add that to your rotation of your macro.

Basically instead of grouping all the mobs together and single targeting to compensate for the mass DPS of T2 Raid gear monsters , we'll be teleporting all over the place garnering mass amounts of AoE threat. It's probably one of the best changes to a soul Trion has yet to make - imho.

Oh and Defer Death is a must use ability now, instead of break the glass situation.

If anyone cares - I would only currently use Defer Death when all other CDs are down. I would call it out over mumble. Tell the healers to HEAL ME NOW. Once I would get up to full life again, I would use a metamorphic rune and right click the defer death buff off. It worked most of the time, if the healer could get me back up. It was a tricky process to use though.

These changes are just so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by jadakin View Post
    I would look over at the PTS closely. The RS is changing DRAMATICALLY.

Namely the highest threat generation will come from teleporting now instead of using single target planar strike and rift disturbance. Notice in the notes it says these abilities have their threat reduced.

Guardian Phase and Teleporting will generate higher aoe threat.

Also - with the new single target heal capability with the bard 6 points in, makes a strong case to use that as the assist soul instead of ranger. This is coming from someone whom used the Ranger soul instead of the Bard. I'm going to be switching now when this patch drops.

Oh Phantom Blow is a ten second CD now, so add that to your rotation of your macro.

Basically instead of grouping all the mobs together and single targeting to compensate for the mass DPS of T2 Raid gear monsters , we'll be teleporting all over the place garnering mass amounts of AoE threat. It's probably one of the best changes to a soul Trion has yet to make - imho.

Oh and Defer Death is a must use ability now, instead of break the glass situation.

If anyone cares - I would only currently use Defer Death when all other CDs are down. I would call it out over mumble. Tell the healers to HEAL ME NOW. Once I would get up to full life again, I would use a metamorphic rune and right click the defer death buff off. It worked most of the time, if the healer could get me back up. It was a tricky process to use though.

These changes are just so much better.
    ^^^^^^^

Also a bit of phys mitigation is being added. More than people seem to realize. No we won't be mitigating like plate+shield but it's enough to give the healers some breathing room.

As it stands currently 51RS/whatever is the norm. Scatter the shadows is just too nice to pass up.

New stuff that he forgot to mention: plane shift shield now has a damage reflect component (fkin awesome), they put an interrupt in RS, they put a group 'searing transfusion' type ability in, a minimum additional 10% phys mitigation, buffed the shields somewhat, as well as minor talent changes which will allow for more hybrid RS builds if you like that route....I'm psyched

-edit- AFAIK the new bard self-heal does not stack with motif of regen so it's only use in a raid situation would be as a minor, minor, minor addition to your threat (same reason I use song of lost souls trinky)
    Last edited by ShazzamCrucia; 09-20-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzamCrucia View Post
    ^^^^^^^

Also a bit of phys mitigation is being added. More than people seem to realize. No we won't be mitigating like plate+shield but it's enough to give the healers some breathing room.

As it stands currently 51RS/whatever is the norm. Scatter the shadows is just too nice to pass up.

New stuff that he forgot to mention: plane shift shield now has a damage reflect component (fkin awesome), they put an interrupt in RS, they put a group 'searing transfusion' type ability in, a minimum additional 10% phys mitigation, buffed the shields somewhat, as well as minor talent changes which will allow for more hybrid RS builds if you like that route....I'm psyched

-edit- AFAIK the new bard self-heal does not stack with motif of regen so it's only use in a raid situation would be as a minor, minor, minor addition to your threat (same reason I use song of lost souls trinky)
    What's the interrupt? I missed that.

44 RS / 22 Bladedancer works for some in 5-man dungeons. Anywhere beyond, the loss of Scatter the Shadows and so much HP and Rift Guard isn't worth it. Even after 1.5 there won't be anything better than 51 RS. In fact 51 RS will become even more desirable.

^^^^^^^

And yet we still can't tank end-game! But hey it'll be nice to be able to perform well in expert t2s in my t1 raid set.

Ascendant

What's the interrupt? I missed that.
    In 1.5 Riftstalkers will get an Interrupt at 22 points in: Planar Disruption. It's a no-damage (like them all now) Interrupt with a 20m range and 8 second cooldown. As Interrupts go it's actually a very nice one.
    Last edited by Kedon; 09-20-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    And yet we still can't tank end-game! But hey it'll be nice to be able to perform well in expert t2s in my t1 raid set.
    I haven't made it to HK yet, but I've found I can tank some bosses as long as they aren't primarily physical mack trucks. As far as HK goes I have no idea.
    <Bastion>
    Rogue tank

Soulwalker

The new updates sound sweet. I'm glad that my build and gear what I'm supposed to be collecting.

I do have couple more questions.

Since I dont have a charge what am I suppose to use for an opener?

And what should my single target and AoE aggro macros look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    In 1.5 Riftstalkers will get an Interrupt at 22 points in: Planar Disruption. It's a no-damage (like them all now) Interrupt with a 20m range and 8 second cooldown. As Interrupts go it's actually a very nice one.
    Yeah I just found it from a fan site by googling - it says it's off GCD. Do you have a link to the updated changes to Riftstalker? I only found the first dev post of the 1.5 changes. Is it buried in the PTS thread somewhere?

I read there's a health buff thing too. It increases the max health of all raid members by 1500. Not sure how that's useful because it lasts for only 20 seconds. Limited max health buffs seem to do more harm than good for healers from my experience. Is there a good reason for using this ability? Maybe a push to down a boss like Johlan or something?

I haven't made it to HK yet, but I've found I can tank some bosses as long as they aren't primarily physical mack trucks. As far as HK goes I have no idea.
    You can tank anything in GSB/ROS/GP/DH well enough. Just make sure you're wearing DPS gear when you get to Hammerknell.

I read there's a health buff thing too. It increases the max health of all raid members by 1500. Not sure how that's useful because it lasts for only 20 seconds. Limited max health buffs seem to do more harm than good for healers from my experience. Is there a good reason for using this ability? Maybe a push to down a boss like Johlan or something?
    At present it's useless because it doesn't heal for the amount of HP it gives. They'll probably fix that, but it's still pretty worthless... maybe on Hylas or Herald or something, I don't know. Warlord has something similar and it's widely acknowledged to be a piece of **** skill.

Ascendant

Yeah I just found it from a fan site by googling - it says it's off GCD. Do you have a link to the updated changes to Riftstalker? I only found the first dev post of the 1.5 changes. Is it buried in the PTS thread somewhere?

http://forums.riftgame.com/public-te...9-12-11-a.html

They're in the list of notes there some place.

Only change I've seen since these notes were posted is that Shadow Guard triggers off of Phantom Blow now (it used to be passive) and is calculated on your buffed Armour instead of your base.

Ascendant

Err disregard the above post. On closer examination those are the old notes. Um, I'm sure I've seen some new ones around here somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    Err disregard the above post. On closer examination those are the old notes. Um, I'm sure I've seen some new ones around here somewhere...
    lol
    k let me know if you happen to run across them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast