+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T2 Riftstalker Tanking

Rift Disciple

Default T2 Riftstalker Tanking

So I'm fairly new to the tanking game. I had a ridiculous number of extra plaques, as I'm sure most of you do, and got a couple of T3 tanking pieces, so I figured why not and started getting the gear for it.

While there is plenty of information and tons of guides for raid tanking, I'm not finding a huge amount in the way of tanking dungeons and what I'm looking for is the most effective build for these situations.

Here's the build I'm using for T2's atm.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qdRkkR.x0d.xoz

I'm using bard instead of ranger (ranger is what I see in the raid builds) because of the 10% added to health, the endurance buff, and the armor buff (which I believe adds about 3% physical mitigation). All that extra hp seems too good to pass up when I'm getting spiked before all my buffs are up. I assume that bard is left behind in raid situations because you're going to have those sort of buffs covered by a bard or archon, anyway, and you get the nice 4% dmg reduction from the ranger tree. I miss having swift shot, as well, while I'm using this this build, but I find the tradeoffs to be worth it.

I'm looking for feedback from those of you who are more experienced. Is there another spec you prefer or recommend for T2's?

thats the best t2 build.

Tanking T2s as a rogue can be an exercise in frustration at times.

That said, there's nothing wrong with your build. I prefer BD/Rng precisely for the ranged builders, and I already have too much damn HP anyways. A nice trick to open a fight with a cold pull is to planar refuge -> splinter shot -> shadow assault -> 3pt guarded steel, then get rift shield up, and go about your business.

I'd suggest going 51RS/12BD/2RNG for T2's, simply because having an interrupt is better than some extra mitigation for the faceroll that T2s are. You already mitigate magic damage very well anyway.

I have tanked through all the T2s and tbh I find DSM to be the easiest. DD sucks due to mobs being spread out and difficulty with threat. RD has big packs but is manageable. CC&AP are pretty easy.

For trash packs I like to simply walk or shadow shift into the pack, hit rift disturbance, get g steel up, shadow blitz into whichever bit of mobs look likely to peel off.

For harder packs, a nice trick is sidesteps->planar attraction->planar refuge->rift disturbance->shadow blitz. The strikeback procs from BD net quite a bit of threat. Using all these cooldowns I can reliably keep a pack of 6-8 mobs off of a pyro doublecasting AE.

I suggest getting the RR greater essence that hits up to 5 enemies on weapon attacks. For trinkets either the self-heal one or the claw from AP work well.

Or, just wait for 1.5, and you will be a nonstop chainpulling tanking monster for faceroll T2s. Might even stand a chance against physical bosses in raids O_O

Ascendant

Don't use bard in a tanking build. Please, just dont do it. There are exactly two builds you need for tanking T2s, and the second one is completely optional once you have the gear.

Riftstalker(51)/Bladedancer(8)/Ranger(7) - For just about everything.
    Riftstalker(x)/Bladedancer(12)/Ranger(x) - For when you need an interupt. I usually go 46/12/8.

The only mob I would consider swapping for is Gregori Krezlav in DSM... and I dont even do that anymore, I just eat the big hit and laugh at it.
    Last edited by Paikis; 09-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Don't use bard in a tanking build. Please, just dont do it. There are exactly two builds you need for tanking T2s, and the second one is completely optional once you have the gear.

Riftstalker(51)/Bladedancer(8)/Ranger(7) - For just about everything.
    Riftstalker(x)/Bladedancer(12)/Ranger(x) - For when you need an interupt. I usually go 46/12/8.

The only mob I would consider swapping for is Gregori Krezlav in DSM... and I dont even do that anymore, I just eat the big hit and laugh at it.
    in a t2, you almost never have support. in which case, a bard build compared to 51rs/7rng/8bd gives you

5% more hp from passive, a 40 endurance buff, and 1% less physical mitigation.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by charliekelly View Post
    in a t2, you almost never have support. in which case, a bard build compared to 51rs/7rng/8bd gives you

5% more hp from passive, a 40 endurance buff, and 1% less physical mitigation.
    4% damage reduction > more hitpoints and 1% damage reduction.

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

4% damage reduction > more hitpoints and 1% damage reduction.
    what?

its 3% physical reduction from anthem of glory, 400hp from just fanfare of vigor, and 5% more hp passive than ranger. non physical damage in a t2 is a non issue, so the fact that you get 4% more magic damage from ranger is whatever.

Ascendant

what?

its 3% physical reduction from anthem of glory, 400hp from just fanfare of vigor, and 5% more hp passive than ranger. non physical damage in a t2 is a non issue, so the fact that you get 4% more magic damage from ranger is whatever.
    Well the hitpoints are irrelevant unless you're getting one-shot. And the armor reduction will depend on how good your gear is.

Honestly what it comes down to for me is that Splinter Shot is better than cadence (which is garbage). I honestly don't need the survival stuff.

Well the hitpoints are irrelevant unless you're getting one-shot. And the armor reduction will depend on how good your gear is.

Honestly what it comes down to for me is that Splinter Shot is better than cadence (which is garbage). I honestly don't need the survival stuff.
    the armor reduction is pretty much 3% no matter what, but the only pull i dont have all my buffs up for in a t2 is the very first pull. i generally never stop log enough to let things fall. but in anycase, this is a t2, and nothing really matters in a t2. but unfortunately, this is about the only thing riftstalkers can tank.

Ascendant

Probably comes down to where you are on the gear treadmill. I feel that hitpoints is a mostly worthless stat once you're at about 10k (for T2s) and my experience from healing people says that you ALWAYS take the option with more mitigation (i.e, reroll warrior)

Mok
    Telaran

the armor reduction is pretty much 3% no matter what, but the only pull i dont have all my buffs up for in a t2 is the very first pull. i generally never stop log enough to let things fall. but in anycase, this is a t2, and nothing really matters in a t2. but unfortunately, this is about the only thing riftstalkers can tank.
    Armor mitigation is found via this formula:
    Code:
    Armor Value/(6500+Armor Value)
    So Paikis is right, in saying that it is 1%ish and depends on your gear.
    I ditched my second build (RS/Bard/Ranger) in favor of a solo build so I don't tear my eyes out when I was farming Mathos rep, as all I gained was 900 health compared to 5% dodge, Strikeback, and Reprisal.

As for Gregori in DSM, I think most rogue tanks will take under 7K if the Blast goes through, at max 8K.

And for easy Rift Guard, as I say a lot: Switch to a sabo spec, load up 5 combo points, switch to tank, cast rift guard (you keep combo points, and casting Rift Guard does NOT initiate combat), Splinter Shot->Quick->Planar Switch->Guarded Steel.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mok View Post
    And for easy Rift Guard, as I say a lot: Switch to a sabo spec, load up 5 combo points, switch to tank, cast rift guard (you keep combo points, and casting Rift Guard does NOT initiate combat), Splinter Shot->Quick->Planar Switch->Guarded Steel.
    If it's a trash pack, just imprison a mob and shoot it full of arrows. Free CPs and you wont get agro until the prison wears off. No need to swap specs. Just be ready when it falls off.

Mok
    Telaran

If it's a trash pack, just imprison a mob and shoot it full of arrows. Free CPs and you wont get agro until the prison wears off. No need to swap specs. Just be ready when it falls off.
    Doh, I forget there are more than just bosses in dungeons. Normally I just chain pull since I run with a healer I know doesn't like to go ninja AFK during T2s. I haven't had to use cooldowns prior to a pull to keep myself alive in the first seconds of a fight, but I have used Side-Steps as a DPS cooldown, reaching up to 400 once (It faded right as I left combat, so no dropping of DPS on the parser).

As for Prison, I use that to annoy the hell out of my dps when a trash mob is nearly dead, just because I can.

I'll leave T2 suggestions to people who know what they are talking about, and go ogle and oogle at some numbers, which may or may not include 0356789 switched up.

Ascendant

As for Prison, I use that to annoy the hell out of my dps when a trash mob is nearly dead, just because I can.
    Thats always fun. Also good for adds sometimes, the big red fire elementals at the starts of CC come to mind here.

Armor mitigation is found via this formula:
    Code:
    Armor Value/(6500+Armor Value)
    So Paikis is right, in saying that it is 1%ish and depends on your gear.
    I ditched my second build (RS/Bard/Ranger) in favor of a solo build so I don't tear my eyes out when I was farming Mathos rep, as all I gained was 900 health compared to 5% dodge, Strikeback, and Reprisal.

As for Gregori in DSM, I think most rogue tanks will take under 7K if the Blast goes through, at max 8K.

on the low end, its over 3%, on the high end, its still 2+%. its not as good as the ranger mitigation, but its not worthless.

gregori hits for like 3k these days, its a joke.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast