+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bards & Motifs = Bad skil/classl design

Telaran

Default Bards & Motifs = Bad skil/classl design

The reason we see only a few Bards here and there is because almost no one but a few people are willing to press the same 5 keys every 30 sec over and over for a whole Dungeon Map or Raid. Some say "use a Logitech Keyboard and macro the ****". I say that cant be it.... if i have to Macro to enjoy a class then something is wrong.

i have a 51 Bard Support and i got sick and tired last night in a T2 dungeon from pressing the same 5 buttons for almost 90 minutes. I got sick from playing Cadence as well. In between i rezzed some and thats it. Coda of Fury/Wrath do such low damage that there wouldnt be any difference for the groups performance. So bards are limited to play Motifs, Cadence, Restoration and change Armor to Speed and vice versa.

The same few keys over and over and over.... Why did you Developers design the Bard class that horrible boring and monotonic ? No change at all nothing. Cant even run while Cadence....

Make these Motifs permanent or let us make 2-3 of of them permanent or increase their playtime to 5-10 minutes.

Look at the bards of EVERQUEST or Vanguard...... thats Bards and not static pillars blowing some Notes in the wind...

RIFT fails completly on the Bard Soul...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPorter View Post
    i have a 51 Bard Support and i got sick and tired last night in a T2 dungeon from pressing the same 5 buttons for almost 90 minutes
    I lol'ed.

Also, if you right click the LFG icon on your minimap, you can Leave Dungeon...

Look at the bards of EVERQUEST or Vanguard...... thats Bards and not static pillars blowing some Notes in the wind...

RIFT fails completly on the Bard Soul...
    I'm sorry but the OP has completely valid points. I play a rogue myself and i must admit i got rid of my bard spec simply becuase its no fun and its to easy to put me to sleep.
    And yes i agree with what the OP said. i miss the everquest bard.
    Seriously trion you need to look at the bard soul.

Make a bard build with deadly strike in it, it's a little more interactive.

And please, the rotation is boring? What about sabdancer, or nightdancer, or 44 sabo, or hoko, or sozu....

Bard actually has more buttons than any of the dps setups, with the exception possibly of the 32Sin bleed build which is garbage.

My point is that his displeasure with the dungeon was probably due a) to the healer sucking and needing a support class for the whole run and b) the run taking 90 minutes which is ridiculous for a T2.

/endthread

G15-G19 or Mouse macro = Bard fix. I think it would be better though if you could do like LOTR and make your own songs up to just have have to click once.

Rift Disciple

I play mostly Bard now and in pvp, I still forget to use motifs sometimes especially when I am under attack.

I think part of the problem with Motifs is that it's not an "attack" so you don't get the same satisfaction and you don't really feel the importance of the motifs.

I actually think they should increase the effectiveness of Motifs even more and increase duration to 60s with full passive. 30s with full passive just seems too short. When I solo in pve, I need to use it right before every fight because Bard isn't exactly a fast killer.

I don't find my Bard too boring but I can see the annoyance in casting motifs.
    Last edited by Jibikaorift; 09-19-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braunfelt View Post
    G15-G19 or Mouse macro = Bard fix. I think it would be better though if you could do like LOTR and make your own songs up to just have have to click once.
    /has razer black widow

Yeah, all motifs = 1 key
    cadence + coda of w/e = 1 key each

I just repeat these steps, get a sandwich, and be back to do it again. best thing do to when watching a game.
    Last edited by Malupit; 09-19-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Rift Disciple

change Armor to Speed and vice ver
    This... might contribute slightly to your 90 minute t2 runs. Don't use the armor buff, use Anthem of Fervor. Your dps running w/ you will love you more. An exception would be if you're running w/ a chloro... make them throw up living energy and switch to Anthem of Defiance. If someone is barding in one of my t2's, I make sure to politely tell them to switch

All in all, I agree, though. Barding sucks and needs a revamp. I dropped bard to pick up riftstalker, and it's well worth the flak you'll get if your party wipes and wants you to soulwalk. Just tell them to stop wiping

Rift Disciple

I enjoy playing bard and am ok hitting the same keys over and over again because all classes hit the same keys over and over again.

Rift Disciple

Unless they changed bard in eq from when i started just around kunark launch til gates of discord era then bards in eq worked a lot like bards in rift. My roomie was a bard and while there were some hit once and forget songs the main function of a bard was to weave songs by constantly hitting the same keys over and over until you got carpal tunnel. Eq2 bards were different, I played a dirge in eq2 and didn't have to weave anything that I remember but there was still a lot of hitting keys in repetitive cycles. This is how bards work, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellamorte View Post
    I play a rogue myself and i must admit i got rid of my bard spec simply becuase its no fun and its to easy to put me to sleep.
    Weird, I have four bard roles. :3
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

The reason we see only a few Bards here and there is because almost no one but a few people are willing to press the same 5 keys every 30 sec over and over for a whole Dungeon Map or Raid.
    Huh?... Myself, every Rogue I know and every Rogue I've ever met has some type of bard spec.

It's really not hard to get your motifs up. I don't even have then keybinded. I just click them.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

I did 950dps on Sicaron the other night with a 51pt Bard. I felt almost useful.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

I agree that there needs to be some sort of refresher for bard motifs.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueScythe View Post
    I agree that there needs to be some sort of refresher for bard motifs.
    Just make them last 5 minutes like Archon. There's no reason there should be a refresh mechanic with the way Motifs are currently designed.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast