+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Really RS aoe threat doesn't need buffed? New rogue tank.

Telaran

Default Really RS aoe threat doesn't need buffed? New rogue tank.

Ok I'm just not sure if i'm missing something or some ability. First lemme say that i only recently made my rogue my main over my warrior. I like tanking but i wont go into a t2 under geared so I only just started tanking them with 11k hp and all t2 or raid level gear.

I know the mit buffs are needed and so far are kinda underwhelming, but i keep hearing people say the buffs to aoe threat aren't needed. Really?? Now this is from someone who used to tank warrior i ALWAYS had 3 or 4 aoe moves i could spam in any given build. In the typical RS/BD/ranger build I currently have my aoe taunt/pull in, a 30 second high damage threat aoe and the BD builder that hits a whole 2 targets. This seems something a warrior could use as the warrior points stack on the warrior itself, but on the rogue you cant tab target w/o losing ur mitigation finishers.

So am i missing something how are all you guys who are saying that aoe threat is fine tanking pug t2s? in a raid setup with targets marked ect i never have problems holding threat as rouge ST threat seems very good, but in a pug environment where people attack whatever they want even with targets marks half the time how are you guys holding threat w/o losing ur mit finishers??

Plane Touched

Every pull will look like this:

Splintershot ==> shadow blitz ==> Rift Guard with those 3 points.

At this point you have full damage shield from rift guard, as well as snap AoE aggro from blitz.
    If the pack was spread out a bit, they should be within range in about a second to use Rift Disturbance.

That's enough AoE threat for me. From here on out it's twin strikes, phantom blows, RD's. Make sure you alternate targets. I've found that strike back is amazing for AoE threat, even just that one extra little weapon attack when i dodge.

Of course, we DO need SOME AoE threat love because sometimes one tiny malfunction may happen, now you're screwed without RD or blitz up. The new planar vortex is exactly what the doctor ordered. The 200% threat is not. I can sneeze on an enemy and a warrior slamming out 1500 dps on every target won't budge em XD But hey, why struggle with aggro, warriors don't.

Plane Touched

I don't think you read some of their previous comments, I believe some of the posts indicated that we rather suffer from aoe threat but rather have the extra mitigation or raid support skills.

Rift Disciple

Use Rift Disturbance on cooldown and AoE threat's generally only a problem if someone either STs the hell out of a mob you missed a Rift Disturbance on, or a mage blows cooldowns. You can also use Side Steps on the initial pull to build a nice amount of threat from the strike back ability. AoE threat's not particularly easy to build, but you can manage fine.

Telaran

LOL agree with warrior threat, when i enter a t2 as a rogue tank i just give a friendly remind rogue dont have hax orders threat so don't go ballz out asap.

Rarely do ppl listen but oh well lol.

Also thanks i did not use Splinter shot ( sorry for not knowing ability names off the top of my head) I would use my attack that ports me in then i would hit my aoe taunt/pull in, Rift Guard then open my next salvo with the 30 second CD and proceed to stack my PB before my next finisher. That time stacking my PB seems to be where i tend to lose aggro if there are >5 targets or people are just going full throttle off the bat.

I am very happy to see more threat I always believed tanks have more things to watch other then threat, defensive CD use, add spawns, environmental things, ect. So I am happy to have warrior level threat and focus more on the encounters, but thats just how I feel on that issue.

Rift Chaser

AoE threat has never really been an issue if you're given a few seconds to establish threat. As long as you tab to a new mob after every finisher you shouldn't be losing threat. So the buffs to AoE threat aren't really needed.

However, what's needed is more ways to generate AoE threat. Right now, if Planar Attraction is on cooldown and you've just Blitzed in and used RD but missed a few mobs, there's no way to gather all the stray mobs that are bumrushing to your healers. The only thing you can pray for is RD to come off cooldown before your healer eats dirt.

What the changes on PTS provide is another way to generate AoE threat. So in the above situation, you could just use any of your shifts to warp to the stray mobs and Planar Vortex would do its work. Basically, you have Shadow Blitz, Rift Disturbance, and up to 6 shifts that all generate AoE threat.

It's all been about more ways to generate AoE threat, not the amount of AoE threat.

Hope that clears things up for ya.

Telaran

Yeah, like i said in my OP it just seemed when playing my warrior there was ALWAYS an aoe I could hit if i needed aoe threat, with rouges that just isnt so unless ur fighting 2 mobs. So yeah i hear ya and i can generally hold ae threat its just pats or ballz out dps that can really get me. So looking forward to 1.5 NB for pve melee dps and RS is getting buffed even if its not to the extent we would liek to see.

+ Reply to Thread