+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1.5 melee aoe dps?

Shadowlander

Default 1.5 melee aoe dps?

I read through some of the 1.5 stuff but I don't see where melee souls are getting anything aoe related that can compete with shrapnel/rain of arrows/trick shot for aoe?

I saw where compound attack is getting a buff but that's a finisher

I fear we will still be forced into a "trash" killing spec unless I missed something

Champion of Telara

Weapon Flare +30% AP bonus, Fiery Chains +80% AP bonus.

Not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    Weapon Flare +30% AP bonus, Fiery Chains +80% AP bonus.

Not terrible.
    ^^This...........

Why should another soul have better aoe then sab? The intent of the changes is to make other souls viable - not bury sab. Sab is, and always should be, the best aoe spec. The issue was it was our best single target spec too.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-15-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Why should another soul have better aoe then sab? The intent of the changes is to make other souls viable - not bury sab. Sab is, and always should be, the best aoe spec. The issue was it was our best single target spec too.
    I agree.

To me the idea of the soul system is that you have the ability to adapt to the situation and versatility to play different styles within one character. This is something you don't get playing pure class games such as EQ2 where you are pigeonholed into one role. Seems to me with 1.5 we will finally get to see this for rogues.

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    I agree.

To me the idea of the soul system is that you have the ability to adapt to the situation and versatility to play different styles within one character. This is something you don't get playing pure class games such as EQ2 where you are pigeonholed into one role. Seems to me with 1.5 we will finally get to see this for rogues.
    Yea, thinking back on EQ2 raiding and needing specific classes where there were 24 different classes was terrible. The versatility of Rift is it's biggest strength. I remember when our MT guardian quit - 3 times over 3 expansions we had to regear a new one. It was always putting us back.

Now if only I can get 10 roles I'd be set!
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-15-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Shadowlander

I never said better, I said competitive. why shouldn't a melee soul have competitive aoe damage? how can you make the other souls viable if your still forced to play sab for aoe?

Champion of Telara

Incriminate.

What now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drbuffer View Post
    I never said better, I said competitive. why shouldn't a melee soul have competitive aoe damage? how can you make the other souls viable if your still forced to play sab for aoe?
    Not every encounter requires aoe - i.e. other souls are viable. Plus, people fill different roles in raiding/dungeons like interrupts, etc.. More aoe tops dps in aoe encounters, but everyone doing maximum aoe doesn't mean you'll win. Everyone plays their roles - sab is aoe.

If you like aoe - then yes, nothing else is viable, as it should be. Sab is the aoe soul.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Drbuffer View Post
    You did say "I read through some of the 1.5 stuff but I don't see where melee souls are getting anything aoe related that can compete with shrapnel/rain of arrows/trick shot for aoe?"

Sab is still considered a melee soul.( I know Trion can't really make it's mind up but it is for now).
    Sab aoe puts other aoe to shame but the ranged stuff is competitive at least
    Good,Bad? I'm the one with the Gun.
    This is my BOOMSTICK
    Rank 40 Defiant Rogue 11/11HK
    Gaming Rig

But as it is no other soul besides sab has GOOD aoe. Weapon flare needs to give combo pts. Twin strike needs to be triplet or quintuplet strike at least. Fan out needs its flames fanned. Trick shot needs another trick up its sleeve.

And assasin...needs an aoe

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Shadowlander

imho sabdancer should remain the viable spec between single target + spalsh dmg arround spec

trion needs to give more credit to saboteur deep spec improving aoe dmg to make him aoe trash king ( if it's not already)

hoko spec used to be a good aoe combined with shadow fire .. but now it's crap ...

But now with Living Flame's CD only a minute and +80% AP damage, 51 NB/8 RS/7 Ranger... Still probably doesn't quite do it. Nuts. I still dream of a magical world where 51 NB is a solid choice, but that's too much fantasy even for an RPG.

Sometimes for farming normal mobs I've used Shadow Blitz + Rift Disturbance + Weapon Flare (+% crit, serrated blades) but I can't imagine that possibly working in a raid environment due to energy issues alone.

If Weapon Flare did give CP, that would be pretty neat. Pair it with Deadly Dance and Combat Culmination might even actually prove useful in the one situation.

before the serrated blades nerf of 1.0 weapon flare was king of aoe as it was the only spammable high target melee aoe that proc'd the high dmg serrated blades... those days are gone but hopefully the AP change will make it mean again!
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Champion of Telara

I still dream of a magical world where 51 NB is a solid choice,
    That world is called PvP.

JUST SAYIN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast