+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Small Oversight with Ranged in 1.5

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Small Oversight with Ranged in 1.5

MARKSMAN
    • Gameplay goals: No longer suffers an identity crisis around being the mobile-soul-that-requires-mostly-stationary-play.
    • Master Archer: Ability changed - whenever you are standing still, damage with ranged weapons is increased by up to 25%.
    Derp. Requires stationary play even more than live. On live you can cast pedestal then run around for 15 seconds. In 1.5, you have to stop moving.

RANGER
    • Gameplay goals: Synergizes with other souls better. No longer overly dependent on Shadow Fire.
    • Shadow Fire: Now increases your damage with ranged weapons by 13% for 25 seconds. The bonus to damage is increased by 1% for every point spent in Ranger above 14, to a maximum of 50%.
    Derp. Less dependent on Shadow Fire. Only increases damage by 50%. No big deal if you decide not to cast it.

RIFT Guide Writer

Yup, don't think their mission goals flowed into the results very well at all here.

it's fine tho, we still want to cast shadow fire due to the 100ap gain, and ppl generally stand still while dps'ing so mm aint so bad either... in pve :P in pvp mm sux lol.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    it's fine tho, we still want to cast shadow fire due to the 100ap gain, and ppl generally stand still while dps'ing so mm aint so bad either... in pve :P in pvp mm sux lol.
    I'm no longer playing marksman for pvp after 1.5, I wonder if they intended to pigeon hole rogues into melee builds for pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I'm no longer playing marksman for pvp after 1.5, I wonder if they intended to pigeon hole rogues into melee builds for pvp.
    They're making things like flash of steel, felblades, and teleports more accessible so it does seem like they're trying to sway rogues over into melee combat.

You guys QQ too much - not play MM after the patch? You're crazy. It's going to be our best pvp soul.

I agree about shadowfire though... ranger took a hit on the PTS. Prey on the weak no longer buffs electrified munitions and I'm only hitting 1550. That's not very good... though I don't care, I wouldn't play a pet class unless I absolutely had to.

All the new pedestal does is make it so you can't play high MM in melee. It's intended, get over it.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-15-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Champion of Telara

Have you actually ever done any PvP? Im curious why you think MM sucks in PvP and what you think outperforms MM in PvP. Maybe you were joking?

Champion of Telara

MM has never required stationary play, but has always done more DPS standing still. They did nothing to change that.

What they did do was make it so it easier for bad players. You no longer have to think about about dropping the pedestal and keep the buff up. Everyone gets it for standing still. They also increased the damage over what pedestal used to be for people who didnt go the full 51 points.
    Last edited by Dahrken; 09-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    MARKSMAN
    • Gameplay goals: No longer suffers an identity crisis around being the mobile-soul-that-requires-mostly-stationary-play.
    • Master Archer: Ability changed - whenever you are standing still, damage with ranged weapons is increased by up to 25%.
    Derp. Requires stationary play even more than live. On live you can cast pedestal then run around for 15 seconds. In 1.5, you have to stop moving.
    Honestly, I almost never used pedestals in PvP anyways except when I was precamping a spot(like the mts in codex) and only moved in PvP when I had to. More times than not if I was moving and started pvp on the fly, I didn't waste the time to put my pedestal down, and now, all I have to do to get the bonus is stop moving. Not a big deal and still think it's a much needed improvement over the pedestals.

But I get the main point, if they wanted to make it where MM didn't have to stand still to be 100% effective, they should have went about it another way... but either way, I like these changes.
    Snuggles - R40 Rogue : Snugglybear - R36 Mage
    <The Purge> - Seastone Server

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dahrken View Post
    MM has never required stationary play, but has always done more DPS standing still. They did nothing to change that.

What they did do was make it so it easier for bad players. You no longer have to think about about dropping the pedestal and keep the buff up. Everyone gets it for standing still. They also increased the damage over what pedestal used to be for people who didnt go the full 51 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeV View Post
    Honestly, I almost never used pedestals in PvP anyways except when I was precamping a spot(like the mts in codex) and only moved in PvP when I had to. More times than not if I was moving and started pvp on the fly, I didn't waste the time to put my pedestal down, and now, all I have to do to get the bonus is stop moving. Not a big deal and still think it's a much needed improvement over the pedestals.

But I get the main point, if they wanted to make it where MM didn't have to stand still to be 100% effective, they should have went about it another way... but either way, I like these changes.
    This guy made my point for me.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post

RANGER
    • Gameplay goals: Synergizes with other souls better. No longer overly dependent on Shadow Fire.
    • Shadow Fire: Now increases your damage with ranged weapons by 13% for 25 seconds. The bonus to damage is increased by 1% for every point spent in Ranger above 14, to a maximum of 50%.
    Derp. Less dependent on Shadow Fire. Only increases damage by 50%. No big deal if you decide not to cast it.
    So the point of not relying on Shadow Fire too much is to "nerf" Shadow Fire if you are not a deep Ranger build?

Basically they nerf Shadow Fire so it's more "synergized" with other souls because you no longer feel like you are losing much by not using Shadow Fire.

And for a deep Ranger build, Shadow Fire becomes EVEN MORE important. You are a fool by not using Shadow Fire with 50% damage buff.

Conclusion: WTF is the design goal here? Seriously?
    Last edited by Jibikaorift; 09-15-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Jibikaorift View Post
    So the point of not relying on Shadow Fire too much is to "nerf" Shadow Fire if you are not a deep Ranger build?

Basically they nerf Shadow Fire so it's more "synergized" with other souls because you no longer feel like you are losing much by not using Shadow Fire.

And for a deep Ranger build, Shadow Fire becomes EVEN MORE important. You are a fool by not using Shadow Fire with 50% damage buff.

Conclusion: WTF is the design goal here? Seriously?
    Shadow Fire is now useful to MM.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    Shadow Fire is now useful to MM.
    So that means instead of Ranger relying on Shadow Fire, now MM relies on Shadow Fire too.

Isn't the design goal for Ranger soul is NOT to rely too much on Shadow Fire? Am I reading it wrong?

I still think the design goal is to improve Pet synergies. People who pick Ranger really want it for the pets. I picked Ranger specifically because when I looked the soul, it has pets.

Now the pets are still doing poor damage (they don't scale with equipments) so I need to rely on Shadow Fire's damage buff for my own damage. I feel like if I need to kill with a bow/gun, I should just play a Marksman.

Yes, the pets are doing auto weapon damage now (although it causes global cool down) but it is still not doing even 10% of my dps. I am lvl 26 now.
    Last edited by Jibikaorift; 09-15-2011 at 10:08 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

wat

51/10/5 mm/inf/rs looks good in pvp imo

Great DPS, ridic burn, heal debuff, purge, 10 energy silence, speed/kite

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurieg View Post
    wat

51/10/5 mm/inf/rs looks good in pvp imo

Great DPS, ridic burn, heal debuff, purge, 10 energy silence, speed/kite
    Forgot purges and magic immunity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast