+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The new BD absorb ability - RS tanks?

RIFT Guide Writer

Default The new BD absorb ability - RS tanks?

So Bladedancer is now getting a 10% damage absorb 17 points into BD. Turn the Tide should be procced 24/7 on an RS tank. Is that worth forgoing 51 RS now?

E.g, 44/17/5 RS/BD/Bard.

Lose 2% hits (roughly - lose 7% to reduced Imp Guard Phase, but gain 5% by having 5/5 in Bard instead of Ranger).
    Gain 4% absorb (over the Ranger 6%absorb)
    Gain a ranged interrupt
    Lose Scatter the Shadows
    Gain some dodge from +15% Dex
    Gain +10 Hit
    Probably lose 15% Attack Power and some other random RS ability that's not big to tanking

Rift Disciple

Rift Guard scales with RS points also. So you'd be losing 3.5% absorb per hit and the total absorb by 70%. I think you may be onto something, but it will need testing for sure.

Edit: The thing I'd be most excited about it the ranged interrupt :P MOAR UTILITY PLZ
    Last edited by Bawler; 09-15-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Soulwalker

Isn't rift guard a straight 250% now? Instead of 150% at 51 RS? I might have read the patchnotes wrong, but if that is true, then specs with less than 51 rs could be VERY viable.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurieg View Post
    So Bladedancer is now getting a 10% damage absorb 17 points into BD. Turn the Tide should be procced 24/7 on an RS tank. Is that worth forgoing 51 RS now?

E.g, 44/17/5 RS/BD/Bard.

Lose 2% hits (roughly - lose 7% to reduced Imp Guard Phase, but gain 5% by having 5/5 in Bard instead of Ranger).
    Gain 4% absorb (over the Ranger 6%absorb)
    Gain a ranged interrupt
    Lose Scatter the Shadows
    Gain some dodge from +15% Dex
    Gain +10 Hit
    Probably lose 15% Attack Power and some other random RS ability that's not big to tanking
    You gain 2.5% mitigation (You lose 3.5% mitigation from taking 7 out of RS and another 4% from taking 7 points out of ranger, gain 10% from Turn the Tide)
    You gain a ranged interrupt
    You gain a small amount of dodge

You lose Splinter Shot and the ability to pull from 30m
    You lose Scatter the Shadows

Probably not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoublyRandom View Post
    Isn't rift guard a straight 250% now? Instead of 150% at 51 RS? I might have read the patchnotes wrong, but if that is true, then specs with less than 51 rs could be VERY viable.
    I hope you're doubly correct.

It isn't worth it. You take all those points out of RS to get that talent but you also lose that much HP, that much mitigation off RG, plus the bonuses from Ranger. Whether you do 44 RS / 17 BD / 5 Ranger or 49 RS / 17 BD, you're gaining marginal mitigation and an interrupt at the cost of StS and a good chunk of HP. Other classes can provide interrupts but StS is invaluable.

Rift Disciple

Nah - Rift Guard isn't a straight 250%. It still varies dependent on how much you invest into RS.

Ascendant

You don't go 51 RS for the "total amount absorbed" from RG. You do it for the "amount absorbed per hit". At 51 points you absorb 35% of all damage per hit, up to 150% of your max HP. After patch it's 250% of max HP, but that doesn't matter because RG never fell off at 150% anyway. Taking any less than 51 in Riftstalker nerfs your RG per-hit absorb, which is a direct nerf to damage mitigation.

Also: 51 RS is Scatter the Shadows, which is one of the only remarkable features of Riftstalkers -- the ability to ignore a key boss damage spike mechanic every two minutes. Lose that, and you fall even more cleanly into the "Gimped Warrior" category.
    Last edited by Isila; 09-15-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

RIFT Guide Writer

Ya, got a couple numbers wrong.

So trade 2% hits for 2.5% damage absorb. That's a win imo.

Better dodge via +15% Dex. Win

Pull with Cadence instead of Splinter - mostly loss, especially on range.

Ranged Interrupt. Big win imo

No StS. Big loss on some fights.

Course, Defer Death will actually be useful now as a "ignore everthing" mode on a 2 min cooldown.

Soulwalker

I did test the build below.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...okoM.xMdV00M.x

There are some points spent in the tree that won't be after 1.5 because some talents got removed and few got the number of points reduced. But the same amount of points will be spent. I couldn't really find anything that hit hard enough to make a noticeable difference from 51rs. You do loose STS which is a big lose imo. But the dmg taken did seem to be a little less due to Turn the Tide. I don't think it will really beat 51RS due to the loss of the amount of dmg absorbed from RG. You pickup at most maybe 2% more damage reduction and a nice dps boost which maybe good for chain running t2's or something. DPS went up by almost 80dps with this build and you do bring a DPS buff to the group with you through Motif of Bravery. A nice build overall but it certainly does not fix any mitigation problems.

Telaran

I wish they would swap imp false blade and turn the tide with strike back and reprisal.

i wish dex gave us parry

Soulwalker

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57...7C1952FF95672/

Sure wish my dodge/parry was like that..

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kurieg View Post
    Pull with Cadence instead of Splinter - mostly loss, especially on range.
    Pretty huge loss depending on how you pull.

Me? I always pull with Splinter->Planar Switch (off GCD free CP)->Shadow Blitz->Rift Guard to get Guard up immediately, having none of that "squishy time" at the start of the fight. Losing Splinter would be a pretty big nerf to my pulls.

This is also why the Rift Barrier changes upset the hell out of me. I don't care about a reflect shield that is literally never up. 15% damage absorb on Barrier vs. 35% on guard and Stalkers being squishy as hell for tanks as it is means you cannot afford to have that reflect up except on completely trivial content, where it doesn't matter anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    Pretty huge loss depending on how you pull.

Me? I always pull with Splinter->Planar Switch (off GCD free CP)->Shadow Blitz->Rift Guard to get Guard up immediately, having none of that "squishy time" at the start of the fight. Losing Splinter would be a pretty big nerf to my pulls.

This is also why the Rift Barrier changes upset the hell out of me. I don't care about a reflect shield that is literally never up. 15% damage absorb on Barrier vs. 35% on guard and Stalkers being squishy as hell for tanks as it is means you cannot afford to have that reflect up except on completely trivial content, where it doesn't matter anyway.
    From my understanding the reflective damage buff is separate from Rift Barrier. That means that once you overwrite RB with RG you will still keep the reflect damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast