+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dubsack

Thread: Leveling up a PvP rogue.

Default Leveling up a PvP rogue.

I really want to level a character from 11 - 50 strictly through war fronts. I've already got a 50 warrior that I enjoy playing, but he is primarily PvE, though with recent changes to PvP, I have been enjoying PvPing on my warrior, which is what sparked this decision to actually do this.

What are good builds for PvPing as a rogue with? I would like to have 3 specs. Stealth melee, ranged, and support (bard). The ability for 3 really good PvP roles is why I chose rogue over any other class. Also the new changes to rogue for 1.5 really makes rogue seem like it'll be a lot of fun in PvP.

I made the rogue last night and played for about 30 minutes. I'm almost to 11 and will be needing a spec, soon. Right now I'm Assassin/Bladedancer/Riftwalker.

Soulwalker

Strictly for low level grinding, you can't beat 8 points in bard and the rest in ranger with either 0 in riftstalker or 0 in Assassin, both for flavor.. mobility or a little added dps.

You are able to basically solo any rifts and grind endlessly with the ability to cadence heal yourself and your pet as well as having the pet heal to toss out for a cheap, what, 20 energy? Very easy rotation to keep up even on elite stages of rifts.

As you level a little further, I found an assassin build with 13 points in riftstalker for the heal on unused combo point talent to be my favorite grinding build. The ranger is still more effective and safer, but it is so safe that is almost borderline boring.

Your mileage may vary

Champion of Telara

for 10-19 the best spec might be depend on your exact level and what key skill you can get. For instance you are going to want a snare if you are playing melee which can be a pain depending on what your main soul is. One option is to use the sab snare for 0 points if you cant spec into a different one.

Once you get a little higher you can start to build specs around whatever soul you want to play. I would use NB for Melee and MM for ranged, but Sin and Sab are also decent.

Soulwalker

In terms of PVP grinding... the early levels are probably going to see the most use come from a marksman build, assassin, for me at least, didn't come into its own until the mid/late 30s. MM provides you with the longest range to play with as well as the mobility imparted by the speed buffs from your builder and finisher.

Just for some ideas, here's some L19 builds for you to judge/try:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MfMp.VMdRVz.0Vo -- MM/Sin/0RS (RS for mobility, Sab for AoE snare)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVMp.Vbduzo.0Voc -- BD/Sin/0RS (A melee variant, really wouldn't recommend it unless you just love melee.. mix and match basically, you can make it work or fail miserably)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0Mcpf.VM.xcxzho -- RS/Bard/0MM (Basis of a RS/Bard build for a survivability/support spec, as you can see you are not really going to see a lot of support out of it by 19, if you choose to be on the 'tough' side early, but this gives you an idea of what you're aiming for, points will be getting dumped into bard from there, 0MM for a pointblank/range attack that will also aid your mobility in a pinch)

Edit timer... forgot about your original question there

Champion

16 MM for Getaway and Barbed Shot then the rest in whatever gets you a combination of damage and useful abilities that you think would benefit you the most (like ranger for crippling shot or NB for passives, stealth, and twilight force snare, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandinista View Post
    In terms of PVP grinding... the early levels are probably going to see the most use come from a marksman build, assassin, for me at least, didn't come into its own until the mid/late 30s. MM provides you with the longest range to play with as well as the mobility imparted by the speed buffs from your builder and finisher.

Just for some ideas, here's some L19 builds for you to judge/try:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MfMp.VMdRVz.0Vo -- MM/Sin/0RS (RS for mobility, Sab for AoE snare)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVMp.Vbduzo.0Voc -- BD/Sin/0RS (A melee variant, really wouldn't recommend it unless you just love melee.. mix and match basically, you can make it work or fail miserably)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0Mcpf.VM.xcxzho -- RS/Bard/0MM (Basis of a RS/Bard build for a survivability/support spec, as you can see you are not really going to see a lot of support out of it by 19, if you choose to be on the 'tough' side early, but this gives you an idea of what you're aiming for, points will be getting dumped into bard from there, 0MM for a pointblank/range attack that will also aid your mobility in a pinch)

Edit timer... forgot about your original question there
    Thank you thank you.

I really want a support build for those Black Garden games where people think DPS is the only way to win. =\ A little healing can go a long way.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ryadic View Post
    I really want to level a character from 11 - 50 strictly through war fronts. I've already got a 50 warrior that I enjoy playing, but he is primarily PvE, though with recent changes to PvP, I have been enjoying PvPing on my warrior, which is what sparked this decision to actually do this.

What are good builds for PvPing as a rogue with? I would like to have 3 specs. Stealth melee, ranged, and support (bard). The ability for 3 really good PvP roles is why I chose rogue over any other class. Also the new changes to rogue for 1.5 really makes rogue seem like it'll be a lot of fun in PvP.

I made the rogue last night and played for about 30 minutes. I'm almost to 11 and will be needing a spec, soon. Right now I'm Assassin/Bladedancer/Riftwalker.
    NB/BD/sab. Its the best mainly mellee build you'll find. High skill cap, high dps (good ranged dps, ive got a 1k ranged finisher crit), good survivability, good utility.

Atm I'm actually doing the same thing lol, the whole 11-50 grind threw nothing but warfronts, right now my rogue is 38 and i was just rolling face tonight (20-35kbs a WF, 0-3 deaths) that and about 50% more dmg than the next guy, it takes some time to get used to but you won't find anything better unless your into barding, MM, or running stones

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MViT.xmzh.V0tkboM
    the spec starts to find its rythem

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...M.ihtzhqG0sR.V
    becomes beastly

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...M.ihtzhqG0sR.V
    were im at now
    Last edited by garethh; 09-13-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Champion

Thank you thank you.

I really want a support build for those Black Garden games where people think DPS is the only way to win. =\ A little healing can go a long way.
    bards can be fantastic.

and ya BG is the hardest WF to be won by just good coordination and dps. From the 2 healers(both chloromancers ;D) i ran threw the tiers, BG was easily the easiest win.

Stop linking him melee builds. You can get way more favor as ranged than as melee. Besides, I'd like to see a melee wf farmer joining a wf bracket at level x1-x5.
    Last edited by Chomag; 09-14-2011 at 01:14 AM.

its lots of fun im doing this lvling in wfs right now. my rogue is sitting at 47 threw out the wf grind and ive never had more fun...11-49 pvp > 50 pvp
    The artist formally known as Dubs

Plane Touched

I like being an unstoppable flag runner. Heavy riftstalker with marksman for speed boosts = automatic whitefall win. I call it the zero dmg zero healing mvp.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Stop linking him melee builds. You can get way more favor as ranged than as melee. Besides, I'd like to see a melee wf farmer joining a wf bracket at level x1-x5.
    gear bearly matters in the lower lvls i actually took all of my armor off for a few WFs and noticed a small difference in dps, the only big loss, was well in armor...

i was melee every level of every teir and barely noticed a difference between 31 and 39 (probly 20% more dmg at the best of times)

ranged is just a personal style
    Last edited by garethh; 09-14-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Rift Chaser

I leveled my rogue to 50, doing almost nothing but PvP from level 10 on. I did a bit of questing while waiting for Q's. I had 4 specs I ran with.

1. Assasin/bd/rs. Mostly assasin, stun/bleed type of build.

2. Bard to 24, the rest MM, or in early levels, bard to 8 the rest MM.

3. Once I got to Whitefall, a runner spec.

4. A very heavy bard spec with AP builders from other trees, for when I needed to be as bardly as possible.

There are a ton of viable builds while you are leveling, and depending what level you are. Sab is also very effective in lower level PvP. Experiment, have fun, one of the most enjoyable things about the game is coming up with specs that suit your playstyle and fun factor.

Plane Walker

Default Whatever is Fun

Enjoy the low level pvp and just play whatever is fun. Try different specs out and see what you like playing.

Some specs will be better than others, some specs you'll be better with than others as it meets your playstyle.

At 50 I have a battlebard, a deep sin, MM, and deep sab. I use all of them.

+ Reply to Thread