+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riftstalker Noob Questions

Soulwalker

Default Riftstalker Noob Questions

Hey folks,

So I'm tired of DPS'ing, and figured I'd try tanking for a change, and I'm pretty geared up for T2's. Now I have to actually learn how to play a Riftstalker. Before I annoy the people in my guild with constant whipes, can people give advice to good, up to date guides (I already read the ones in the compendium), or a good AOE aggro rotation?

Also, any build recommendations - it seems that the only interrupt we have is in bladedancer, and to get that, plus the two main bard buffs I can't drop 51 pts into Riftstalker, so any advice there is weclome. To me, a tank w/o an interrupt isn't very useful.

Thanks for your time.

Shadowlander

Rift Disturbance and Twin Spike are really going to be your only AOE stuff from what I've seen on my RS (level 32). You do get another AOE ability, but it doesn't generate any extra threat afaik.
    Last edited by poisonarms; 09-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Your only AOEs are Rift Disturbance and Shadow Blitz (both with +threat modifiers). Twin Strike is terrible and anyone that tells you to use it is terrible. It does pitiful damage even without the -30% from Guardian Phase and it has no threat modifier. You're better off tabbing and Planar spamming. Avoid using Shadow Blitz to pull, you'll want to keep it for when the mobs are sufficiently grouped up. Make your guildies aware that your AOE aggro sucks and that you have no useful tools for grouping mobs. Line-of-sight pulls via Flashback are your friend. The range on Planar Attraction is terrible.

I've only ever played 51 RS. Some people swear by 44 RS / 22 BD for t2s. I've never used it. If you want to do 51 RS your best bet is / 8 BD / 7 Ranger. Strikeback and Reprisal are great, and the ranged attacks from Ranger are great initial aggro and CP builders. I'd advise against using macros for anything except Reprisal but to each his own. Remember that Planar Switch is a low-cost CP off the GCD, and pretty useless otherwise.

Honestly most of it is about situational awareness and reacting quickly to dynamic situations. Either you have it or you don't. Try it out and see if it works, being mindful of the learning curve.

Shadowlander

Spell Interrupts? Rogue tanks don't get spell interrupts Sucks don't it.

AoE threat is best achieved with Rift Disturbance, Shadow Blitz, and then Planar Attraction as you get deeper in the tree. If you use Bladedancer in your build (which I recommend) you can also pop in into a group of mobs and kick on Side Steps. With Strike Back from the second tier of BD you constantly hit each mob you dodge and thus can hold onto threat easier.

My personal fav build is a 51 RS/ 8 BD/ 7 Ranger but there are other specs about as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladrathain View Post

AoE threat is best achieved with Rift Disturbance, Shadow Blitz, and then Planar Attraction as you get deeper in the tree. If you use Bladedancer in your build (which I recommend) you can also pop in into a group of mobs and kick on Side Steps. With Strike Back from the second tier of BD you constantly hit each mob you dodge and thus can hold onto threat easier.

My personal fav build is a 51 RS/ 8 BD/ 7 Ranger but there are other specs about as good.
    I agree that 51 RS is the best, but If you either went with 44 RS or just dropped a few points somewhere else, and pick up 4 more in BD giving you 12, you would have an interrupt.
    Last edited by Saluq; 09-13-2011 at 09:10 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Aladrathain View Post

AoE threat is best achieved with Rift Disturbance, Shadow Blitz, and then Planar Attraction
    I disagree with this if you using AoE for Snap threat generation.

Reason: Planar Attraction is a Forced Taunt and not a threat Generator. RD & SB are threat generators.

If you use the above the forced taunt is wasted at the end, where as if you use it First it would be a more efficient use for the skill

Rotation i would use is

Shadow Assault to a Specific Mob in pack or shadow warp to the best location in between mobs.
    PA = Forced Taunt
    Shadow Blitz = Threat Gen
    RD = Threat Gen
    Build your Finishers (This should take about 6-8 seconds for first rotation)
    RD should be up again RD again = Threat Gen

The above rotation would allow you to build on top of your forced taunt whilst

I Agree with Ianto with Twin Stirke being a poor skill, but i disagree with not using it. you have it in your abilities list, so you might as well macro it to RD. Its beneficial, just by not a lot, and let face it RS tanking QoE is quite poor in its present stage so every little helps. If anything else, it helps you build a combo point.

If your not a fan of LoS and would like to go Gung ho, Use Shadow Warp to Teleport to a location that will all you to use PA on most of the pack.

Given 1.5 is not to far away, the above will go out the window anyway, since RS have been given a boost to AoE Threat Generation.

The 51 point builds: RS/BD/ Bard, RS/BD/ Ranger, RS/Ranger/ Bard are all viable at T2, but like most i prefer RS/BD/ Ranger because i dont have enough roles to carry any other Spec & because it provide the most "Miitgation" (loose term) at raid level.

Going deeper into BD for the interrupt is not a bad idea, but since Rogues we're meant to be the Magic Tanks, we don't really need it since we take the least magic damage anyway and you lose health for every point lost in RS above 25 and Absorption above 16 points.

I would suggest starting in T1 first before moving to T2 to warm yoruself up. T2's can still be unforgiving if you dont know what your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Saluq View Post
    I agree that 51 RS is the best, but If you either went with 44 RS or just dropped a few points somewhere else, and pick up 4 more in BD giving you 12, you would have an interrupt.
    no.

not sure on T2...
    But for Raids, No.

Losing either the 51 pt ability from RS, or losing the Mitigation from Ranger to get 12 pt in BD to get an interupt is a complete and utter idiocy. 51RS/8BD/7Rngr is the way to go. At the moment, dont rogue tank, wait in 1.5, as currently we are shafted 5 ways to X-mass in the tanking department.

As for Aoe Aggro.

Run ap untill you get the Aggro gen trinket (forgot name) and use that. Also run Raid rifts untill you get teh Aggro gen Greater Essenence. (think it was life, dont quote me on that though).

with these 2, and the natural strike-back you get from dodge + Rift disturbance/shadow blitz, you can hold aggro with AoE. as for single target aggro dumpers - have them learn to use the Rogue's target as the target to attack, if they aggro pull of you - they are idiots.

"We are the Red Order within the immortal Chaos. We are Shadowblade."

Do yourself a favor and don't. Rogue tanking is fine threat-wise but your healer will curse you because your *** is squishy as hell even with the buffs up.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Do yourself a favor and don't. Rogue tanking is fine threat-wise but your healer will curse you because your *** is squishy as hell even with the buffs up.
    Rogues are fine at T2. Healer do need to adjust because healing arogue is different to the other tnaks

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftkiss View Post
    Rogues are fine at T2. Healer do need to adjust because healing arogue is different to the other tnaks
    Really i dont see having to pop cooldowns practically every other pull fine. Some people fail to realise that the disparity between Warrior/Cleric and Riftstalkers happens way before HK. Its just as Hammerknell it becomes so blatanly obvious that you cant help but to see it.

Soulwalker

22 bd will be even better in 1.5 with the change to the bd ability "turn the tide" in 1.5 everytime you parry or dodge an attack you get +10% dmg and -10% dmg taken for 30 secs

Quote Originally Posted by Temko Firewing View Post
    no.

not sure on T2...
    But for Raids, No.

Losing either the 51 pt ability from RS, or losing the Mitigation from Ranger to get 12 pt in BD to get an interupt is a complete and utter idiocy. 51RS/8BD/7Rngr is the way to go. At the moment, dont rogue tank, wait in 1.5, as currently we are shafted 5 ways to X-mass in the tanking department.

As for Aoe Aggro.

Run ap untill you get the Aggro gen trinket (forgot name) and use that. Also run Raid rifts untill you get teh Aggro gen Greater Essenence. (think it was life, dont quote me on that though).

with these 2, and the natural strike-back you get from dodge + Rift disturbance/shadow blitz, you can hold aggro with AoE. as for single target aggro dumpers - have them learn to use the Rogue's target as the target to attack, if they aggro pull of you - they are idiots.
    Unless I read the OP wrong he is asking for t2s..
    "...I'm pretty geared up for T2's. Now I have to actually learn how to play a Riftstalker"

Like I said in the post you quoted me from 51 RS builds are the best for tanking. I'm pretty sure we all know the sad state of Rogue tanks and everyone knows 51 rs, ranger, bd is the go to build. You are quick to call it idiocy when you fail to realize the OP is asking about 5 mans and in your own post you say "not sure on T2 but for raids no" , No one is asking about raids, and if they were i'd suggest reroll to warrior unless they make some drastic changes to RS tanks.

Banned

Here is how I riftstalker tank in T2's.

1) I open up by saying hello.
    2) I explain I'm a rogue, and I'm squishy.
    3) I apologize up front for the slow and clunky run
    4) I explain I did wait in the DPS/Support queue for 30 minutes before subjecting them to this kind of pain.
    5) I inspect the healer and if I don't see purples everywhere I ask the support person to actually support until we get a feel for the run.

The rest of it is Blitz, RiftGuard, Planar Strike, Guarded Steel, Disturbance, and start a rotation of keeping all your buffs up. Disturbance every time it's up.

For threat I use:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/item/8885E2AF...s-Broken-Heart
    http://rift.zam.com/en/item/C48FF882...ing-Stormshard
    http://rift.zam.com/en/item/C68FF882...rdial-Faeshard

I very rarely have threat issues.

+ Reply to Thread