+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for a new rogue :)

Default Advice for a new rogue :)

For the birthday event I resubbed and played a rogue... addictive enough to get me to 48.. now I intend to bard/pvp a bit to 50 no big rush, but I was wondering (and I am searching forums) what a new 50 should do to make transition easier.

I was thinking pvp to rank 2 and grab all the gear and start t1's etc, build up rep. Maybe make a deathbringer?

Any tricks? i.e. blues to buy, greaters I must have, specs to help (well bard is limited but you know, dps for low gear etc). What you first did at 50.

I am exptecting "lol reroll warrior" replies!
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty
    60 rogue, mage, cleric and working on a worrior

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    I am exptecting "lol reroll warrior" replies!

Happy to Oblige: REROLL A WARRIOR YOU GIMP!

Nah, I had a good day today running stones and actually topping the charts with my bard heals, and even kills

51sin/15inf <-- DPS
    51bard/7RS/8/inf <--heals (+ shoe & hots greaters)
    or 28RS/17MM/21(?)inf (runner)

Quote Originally Posted by Malupit View Post
    Happy to Oblige: REROLL A WARRIOR YOU GIMP!

Nah, I had a good day today running stones and actually topping the charts with my bard heals, and even kills

51sin/15inf <-- DPS
    51bard/7RS/8/inf <--heals (+ shoe & hots greaters)
    or 28RS/17MM/21(?)inf (runner)
    so the faesource/shield greaters work with bards (my main is a cleric I use them on it as well)? excellent

time to farm a shoe.

atm sub 50 warfronts im using a NB/SIN spec (full stealth/speed and felblades) which works ok, but I have a feeling will be craptacular at 50.
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty

Koe

If you're interested in barding, I have a few suggestions once you hit 50.

34 Bard/32 RS will give you quite a bit of survivability and mobility tools. I would reccomend 0 SAB for the snare puddle, or 0 inf for Break Free.

34 Bard/17 Sin/15 RS for more heals and less survivability.

These are the 2 big PvP builds until you can get your rank up. You're free to experiment, but I would reccomend having at least 34 in bard for Verse of Captivation. Always run Movement Speed unless you're camping, or get into a long fight. Then Fervor is also good.

For PvE? Going into 50, running 5-mans, I would reccomend the "battlebard" spec. It's 32 bard + minimum of 13 BD and then whatever else you want. I do 33 Bard + 16 BD + 17 Sin. Normally I keep just Motif of Regeneration up, keep Fervor up, and then DPS. However, if you're running a T1/T2 with people that aren't overgeared, you can also use Cadence to 5 CP, then DD(Deadly Strike) for healing and some DPS. In a 5-man, I wouldn't worry about keeping all 5 motifs up. I just keep MoR up.

Once you hit 50, for barding a sigil and trinket are your most important assets. Try to get the HoT and shielding greater essences. You can buy a HoT essence from Lantern's Hook, Moonshade, and Stillmore. These are the 3 I reccomend, with the 1 in stillmore taking inscribed sourcestone. I would also suggest Frozen Deep One tear from Iron pine Peaks. this also takes an inscribed sourcestone, and you will use it forever. In the future, try to get a Hailstone Tideshard from a Water Raid Rift.

For trinkets, the 2 that drop in expert dungeons are Spirit Wolf Totem from the first boss in Expert King's Breach, and Sacred Heirloom of Eth that drops from Dichrom, or Plutonis, in expert Deepstrike Mines.

If you're looking into raiding(20-man), 51 bard is basically a necessity. I pair it with 8 Riftstalker(keeping Annihilate up), and 7 Ranger. If you also want some extra DPS at the cost of healing, feel free to also do 51bard/13BD/2Sin.

Edit: Also, if you're doing a traditional bard that spams cadence and Coda of Restoration, remember you don't need hit. Feel free to use all that PvP gear in PvE.
    Last edited by Koe; 09-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Thanks for the replies

I have some inscribed sourcestones and nearly planarite for the sigil so my first purchase will be that. (and saved some dex/str lessers).

will follow the bard advice
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty

Wait until 1.5 comes out to play pvp.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by INCdex View Post
    Wait until 1.5 comes out to play pvp.
    Bard does just fine in (pug) PvP.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Best thing would be get a full R2 gear, 2 deathbringer daggers and 1 ring, practice a bit of everything not just barding, you need to try out every soul in action be4 you reach R6+, also depends on what you plan on doing if its PvE then i wouldn't recommend to go any further than R4 coz combination of R4 gear+synergy cystal + x2 deathbringers and a ring (thats 25ap from synergy crystal & 20ap from deathbringers sets) + some Hit runes give you as a result you can easly do T2s with your 100+ Hit and pretty impressive dps for the time you have spent acquiring this gear.
    Last edited by PORTERR; 09-11-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Blightweald EU
    STORM
    Rogue

Shadowlander

so the faesource/shield greaters work with bards (my main is a cleric I use them on it as well)? excellent

time to farm a shoe.

atm sub 50 warfronts im using a NB/SIN spec (full stealth/speed and felblades) which works ok, but I have a feeling will be craptacular at 50.
    Bard is solid even as a new 50.
    NB/SIN/infi very good but gear dependent, you wont have fun dpsing till you get to the nether-region ranks.
    *Carried by class*

I raided GSB on cleric and cleared it but we lost steam when RoS came out... i quit raiding, i probably wont raid (maybe 10 mans?) and even so just casual. Mostly play with family (sad I know!) :P
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty

A good number of crafted items are fairly good if you toss a purple augment on them. They're just a bit on the pricy side on account of the mats used.

Champion

time to farm a shoe.

haha.. hah.. ya i tried to keep my NB/BD/Sab after getting that final xp of 49, i deuled 50s for weeks, won allmost all of them too against toons under P3 in Meridian at lvl 47-49 with that build so i thought I'd be fine... i even wrecked WFs pre-50... I saw guardians complaining more about me than those horrid para-champ builds... they were some good times

50 is a brick wall... the PvP just was horrible for low RRs so i shelved the toon for that reason and a few IRL ones... i was hitting for less than i was as in the mid 30s... against people with 3 times the health and easily 3 times the healing as in the 30s...

oh, moral of the story, go bard ;P
    Last edited by garethh; 09-11-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Telaran

Well.. you asked for it.

Reroll a warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by titansgrip View Post
    What is the benefit of having sole access to the highest damaging 2h weapons if not the highest melee DSP? The exclusiveness of plate and 2h weapons should have benefit fitting to that uniqueness.
    best line ever! Clearly cloth/chain/leather is usable by all but plate is war only because they want to set warriors above the rest. WAR 4 LIFE!

The recent valor changes have made low-rank PVP more... well, not equal, but less straight-up unfair. Plus you can do PVE daily quests to get to rank 2 quite easily (and probably higher if you're so inclined, but it starts to get much slower from 2) without ever having to do proper PVP. That'll let you get most of your rank 2 gear before you even start doing warfronts at 50, and make the whole transition a lot less painful.

I am in p2 gear now (minus 1 or 2 pieces)... I also have t2 daggers so considering going dps ....or is it still too early.

Battlebard / 51 PVE bard still ok... if im focused im dead though
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty

+ Reply to Thread