+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couple of noob rogue questions

Rift Master

Default Couple of noob rogue questions

I started a sabo 44/Assasin 20/Ranger 2 rogue a few days ago and having a blast. I normally can't handle melee, so I'm leveling on sabo, and only use melee when a mob is still alive when they get to me.

Questions:

1. I read earlier that we need to make sure that "2 points in Ranger is picked up to ensure DPS is calculated off your Ranged Weapon so make sure you have a nice one."

To make sure I understand this, my Sabo damage is connected to my gun damage? Higher gun damage = higher Sabo damage (bombs and explosives)? So basically the gun is a stat stick? I guess this means when a bomb states: "Weapon damage plus XX," it means the gun, not the daggers/swords I dual wield?

2. I'm only level 20 now, with 7 points in Assasin. With a max of 20 points in this role, is Savage Strike my main melee ability, and Final Blow my finishing ability, or is there a better opener/closer ability that comes along later.

Thanks for the help.

For starters, sab is really, really bad for levelling. It's pretty much a DPS-only build with very limited survivability. You'll have a much less infuriating time if you play a soul combo that's more appropriate for levelling, and possibly purchase a second role slot to switch to if you want a DPS build for dungeons. A typical levelling build would be 13 Riftstalker (to pick up the self-heal when an enemy dies with CP still on it) and then going down Bladedancer for the reactive abilities and quick CP builders.

But anyway.

1) Almost all skills are based on "weapon damage", which usually means whiever weapon you auto-attack with. Normally this is calculated solely on mainhand weapon DPS. However, if you invest points in Ranger, you will automatically switch to your ranged weapon outside of melee range, so that's what gets used for damage calculations. Ranged weapons usually have a much higher DPS than one-handers, so it's almost always a DPS boost to attacks when you're out of melee range.

2) Sab charges don't have a minimum range, so if you insist on levelling as sab you should mostly be using them even in melee range. Also, finishers other than Detonate don't set off sab charges, so there's very little point finishing with anything else while a mob has charges on it. Assassin gets better combo builders at higher levels, but they usually have positional requirements (behind the enemy), only work from stealth, or have cooldowns, so you'll still have a place for your normal combo builders and finishers when everything else is unavailable.
    Last edited by JimboTCB; 09-11-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Rift Master

Thank you very much for the answers.

Yeah, I realize Sabo is not optimum for leveling, but I wanted something ranged, but not my mage/cleric I've been playing for years in WoW and now in Rift. So, I saw Sabo and I'm having a great time, and it's easy to level with (and quick, too, early on - I suppose it will settle down later on). Just have to figure out what different things do in that role, and how to employ them to do most damage. Now that I know the gun is a stat stick, I can purchase better guns/bows at the AH to increase damage, and get some stats for my character.

Besides, I'm not in a hurry. I play all day 7 days per week, so whether I get to 50 in a week or month, or longer, doesn't matter. The fun is in tossing explosives around and killing things, and now and then a little sword/dagger play to finish something of. I normally can't handle melee, but this is good because it's a change, and I don't have to do the high-level Assasin stuff that I have problems with. Just a girl with a couple of daggers slashing a mob quickly at the end is all I need.

I also saw some previews of patch 1.5 and noticed some projected damage increases in Sabo and that will help.

I did notice - or maybe I'm wrong - but it seems you don't get many ability updates when you level up. It feels like you play more levels before getting any/any useful increases.

Thanks again.

R

if your only lvl 20 and love sab keep doing it - I leveled my second rogue (prior to shard Xfer) with sab to the 30's, but alongside the free ranger pet to tank for me. Meaning you wont be taking much damage. After 30 just make sure you have a slow and your still fine, set bombs and traps and go for your life, you can still take out 2 or 3 at a time if done correctly without taking any damage, but only do this if you love the spec. Cuisinart rogue is the best for leveling handsdown, so its up to you, if you want to be the quickest or have fun with it...

just make sure you get points in the talent to set charges without aggroing, single target blast charge them up, Xfer threat to piggy and send him in, detonate, in 2 or 3 more charges he will be dead.

also you can lay traps and use your stuns and all the sabo tools (I only used blast and shrap charges though) like annihilate bomb, your ground slow bomb - forgot name and anything else you can think of and you shouldnt have a problem, just take some pots/water with you and enjoy it

Rift Master

Thanks.

I'm putting 5 charges on a target at max range. Then, put down a chemical bomb with the outer edge barely touching the target - enough where I get aggro from the explosion, but he has to run through the entire bomb pattern - taking chemical damage. Then I put down the bomb that reduces their speed, by 70% I think, then I hit them with the single bomb and detonate. Most targets are near death and normally I can finish them off with one/two quick dagger hits/finisher from Assassin.

That talent, where you put on charges without getting aggro, that's the greatest invention since sliced bread lol. Wow, that changes the entire game for a sabo rogue.

When I get enough points in sabo where I can put down traps, that will be another improvement.

+ Reply to Thread