+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hokonoso

Thread: Dear Hoko - Please read, PTS Testing

Soulwalker

Default Dear Hoko - Please read, PTS Testing

Hoko,

I know a lot of young rogues read what you have to say as you do extensive testing and work on the PTS and help to improve rogue dps. I read your post regarding your PTS parses and I tried out your 41 ranger/20 MM/5 RS build. Though you did not post the exact build I created one of my own using your numbers and it did increase dps over Sozu's build.

The reason I am posting this thread in the hopes that you read it is I then took what you posted and made some minor tweaks. I do not like using crippling shot in my builds as I find the CD to cause my dps to drop in regards to using it in a macro. I usually opt for an additional point in Improved Quick Shot instead and find that this increases my DPS over using Crippling Shot.

That's not really what this post is about though. I tested you build using the 5 points in RS and then I did a bit of tweaking. I opted to put 5 points into Sab for improved dexterity. As my gear is not as good as yours I actually found the increased crit to improve DPS further over increasing just AP. My pet did about the same amount of damage with both builds where as my own damage increased using the points in Sab instead of RS. I did multiple tests with this and found that I did indeed do more damage every time with 5 points in Sab over 5 points in RS.

What I am asking is for you to do this test as well and see if the numbers change for you because of your higher gear level. I have a feeling you will be writing up a guide regarding this spec at some point and I would like for you to test both to see if at a lower gear level 5 points in Sab is a better option than 5 points in RS. The reason I say this is with higher gear you have higher crit and once you hit crit cap extra crit is useless...

I think I'm starting to ramble so I'm going to end this here. If you do read this and respond I thank you very much as I am just trying to help ALL of the rogues out there, not just the ones with super amazing gear =)

<3 Rayvana

I am no Hoko, but I don't think putting Crippling and Quick Shot into one macro will slow your dps.
    #show Quick Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    That way when Crippling Shot is in CD you still use Quick Shot without delay.

As far as 15% dex goes, it's not as beneficial when you get above 1000 - 1180 Crit because of DR while the 15% AP from RS will give you no DR and benefit from the extra STR from our gear. So specing 15% AP is the most beneficial I found if you have t1 raid gear or +, because most likely you will crit cap in raid buffs and 15% AP from dex < 15% AP from STR+DEX+AP From Gear.

In other words if you don't get crit caped with raid buffs, by all means get 15% dex from sab, otherwise go for 20MM/40RNG/5RS. (Keep in mind changes might not make it to live.)
    Last edited by Shroomkin; 09-09-2011 at 10:34 AM.

the AP is only going to up your dps if you stack AP and are already crit capped. since my PTS toon is way over crit cap (1200-1400rating depending on build) the 5 in sabo barely increases dps at all compared to just leaving the 5 points in the air. one good thing to test is 5 in NB but finishers do so much dmg that it wasnt a dps gain either. also i did not test 38rng 8rs which will probably be even more, the reason i didn't is because you have to run in melee every 1min to increase the buff, also expose weakness should be a dps boost of 50ish but you have to be 20m which i don't do so i didnt test it.

at this lvl its more preference really, some ppl like 51 ranger but ill never like it, and imo 20mm is too useful for ranger now due to energy starvation.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Soulwalker

I appreciate both of your input. Shroom I understand exactly what you mean with the macro but if you look at Sozu's macro you will see that it looks like this:

#show Quick Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot

I find that because of having two abilities with CD's as you are pressing the button it is having to go travel to and from the server to gather the information as to whether the CD's are up on Piercing Shot and Crippling Shot. I have pretty low latency but even with my latency at about 16 I find that I get a bit of lag on my abilities when I have both Piercing Shot and Crippling Shot in my macro. Because of this I opt to either a) not use it at all or b) use it seperately not in a macro when off CD.

As I stated in my OP, I understand that using the 5 in Sabo is probably not a good boost when you are able to reach crit cap with gear and buffs. I just noticed that as I am not at Crit cap with my gear (this is self buffed no vials or pot's or anything) the 15% Dex increased my DPS over the the 15% straight AP. I thank you both for your input, and am happy to have had some discussion regarding this =)

Soulwalker

Thinking about crippling shot and piercing shot in the macro further, I realize it could also be an energy issue that makes crippling shot feel useless in the macro when you are energy starved. As I usually don't run it in my macro's while raiding I will have to add it in there and see if I notice any difference.

I spam my macros and incur 0 lag while doing so. so long as you never reach 90+ energy your dps will be fine, once you hit max energy (verse of joy withstanding) you have lost dps via your lag not letting you fire abilities fast enough.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread