+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue AoE Aggro Help

Shadowlander

Default Rogue AoE Aggro Help

Hey guys,

I've been tanking in GP, DH, GSB, and RoS for some time now. Even run T2's with my 51 stalker build. Problem that I keep coming into is that time and time again I just for whatever reason seem to maintain a solid aoe threat on mobs. I'm using rift disturbance, shadow blitz, planar attraction, even have a macro setup for aoe threat. I've also got primordal faeshard in my sigil and nothing seems to be helping. Here's what my aoe macro looks like:

#show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Rift Disturbance

Is there something I'm not doing right? Is it a button rotation thing? Thanks in advance for the help.

Twin Strike is terrible. Don't use it. It has no threat modifier and does awful damage. You're better off switching targets and single-targetting. If it's a large pack of mobs you know you're going to have trouble with try using Sidesteps and pulling in with Planar Attraction to proc Strikeback a bunch (assuming they're physical mobs).

Or you can do what I do and just let the Warrior tank the trash... I can't even single-target a mob off him.

Prophet of Telara

I used this macro

Cast Shadow Blitz
    Cast Rift Disturbance
    Cast Twin Strike

But not sure anymore... gave up on tanking so someone smarter will have to chime in.

Edit: there ya go... someone with experience beat me. I tried
    Last edited by -Beck-; 09-09-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Doesn't having twin strike before rift disturbance make it so rift disturbance is never used?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgma View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been tanking in GP, DH, GSB, and RoS for some time now. Even run T2's with my 51 stalker build. Problem that I keep coming into is that time and time again I just for whatever reason seem to maintain a solid aoe threat on mobs. I'm using rift disturbance, shadow blitz, planar attraction, even have a macro setup for aoe threat. I've also got primordal faeshard in my sigil and nothing seems to be helping. Here's what my aoe macro looks like:

#show Rift Disturbance
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Rift Disturbance

Is there something I'm not doing right? Is it a button rotation thing? Thanks in advance for the help.
    If that is your macro, the biggest problem is that you will only use rift disturbence when you have no target or the target is out of range. I am not sure how much the faeshard got buffed if any, with the change to process rates, but it used to process so rarely it was not worth using. The screaming stormshard is really good, and make side you have a threat trinket.
    Barring BA, people have to use a taunt to get threat from me after the first 5 seconds of a fight, or 2 seconds if I already have guarded steel up. A warrior using BA, I am lucky to keep my target off of.

Ascendant

Get a 1 point Guarded Steel up asap on pull so you have the Threat bonus, then use Rift Disturbance and Planar Attraction if available. After that you can either go for Rift Guard and quickly follow it with a 1 point Guarded Steel again, or go for the 5 point Guarded Steel into a 5 point Rift Guard and use Rift Barrier and other damage reduction abilities in the meantime.

RIFT Guide Writer

The biggest problem you have is trying to tank with a rogue in the current balance between the tanks. Everything I see currently points to warriors being considered as the main tank calling with rogues and clerics maybe being able to tank some things when there is no warrior available. If tanking is your passion then the sooner you reroll the better off you'll be.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the input guys. I took off Twin Strike because after consideration it does seem kind of pointless. As it turns out actually, I just picked up the Stormshard off the Air Raid Rift from today's daily that I replaced the Faeshard with.

I forgot to mention that I'm also using the Crustacean Talisman out of AP that generates additional threat as well.

The Guarded Steel point was an awesome pointer, I didn't even think of that, thanks again.

Telaran

Take rift disturbance off macro and keep it on cool down. that alone will probably stop you from ever losing ae aggro. but getting up a 1 point guarded steel after a 2-3 point rg helps too, along with cycling targets and planar strike.

But if youre losing aggro in ros and gsb on trash and youre tanking with a war ot/mt youre just hosed, you cant comptete with spotters orders aggro.

Rogue AOE threat sucks at the moment, that's about all there is to it. As people have said, your macro is upside-down - Twin Strike has no CD, so Rift Disturbance will never fire off as it is. But other than that, Shadow Blitz + Rift Disturbance on cooldown is about all you have for AOE threat at the moment, so people just need to back off for a few moments while you get Guarded Steel up and start spamming what little AOE you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgma View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I took off Twin Strike because after consideration it does seem kind of pointless. As it turns out actually, I just picked up the Stormshard off the Air Raid Rift from today's daily that I replaced the Faeshard with.

I forgot to mention that I'm also using the Crustacean Talisman out of AP that generates additional threat as well.
    Speaking of, does anyone know if that thing procs on Strikeback? I know the one from the expert water rift does but I threw out my crab trinket ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Twin Strike is terrible. Don't use it. It has no threat modifier and does awful damage. You're better off switching targets and single-targetting. If it's a large pack of mobs you know you're going to have trouble with try using Sidesteps and pulling in with Planar Attraction to proc Strikeback a bunch (assuming they're physical mobs).

Or you can do what I do and just let the Warrior tank the trash... I can't even single-target a mob off him.

This is pretty much good as it gets. Rogues cannot maintain AE aggro over any substantial amount of time. Even snap aggro sucks sometimes. If it's ~3 targets I can keep them off anybody, but more than that and our pyro is gonna get GGed heh. Rogues simply cannot compete with spotters or cleric DoL spam on raid dmg.

Issue with planar attraction: only 5 targets. Best ae threat currently is facepull, rift disturbance, shadow blitz into the opposite side of the zerg, start hitting random mobs and hope your greater procs, rift disturbance and hope trinket procs, repeat. My one big complaint about this is it can be difficult to build cps and fire off finishers when ahving to switch targets constantly. If one breaks free it can be difficult to regain threat.

Good news is that Trion is gonna fix this. If 1.5 riftstalker goes thru we will have ezmode AE threat. By EZmode I mean it's gonna be stupid easy to maintain. Double threat bonus on guardian phase + dancing steel proc from shifting + damage reflecting shift proc = something I've wanted for a longgggg time.

-edit-

by AoE aggro I mean things like the Hydriss mob packs, DRR zergs, basically whenever you have 3-4+ mobs and a raid dropping raid-buffed dps everywhere. 5mans is faceroll at this point
    Last edited by ShazzamCrucia; 09-09-2011 at 12:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread