+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hard playing a rogue?

Shadowlander

Default Hard playing a rogue?

For once I played a class I have never really liked but I loved when I was leveling. Now I'm 50 and hate the rogue. The game has it where PVP'ing just sucks. I've always been super good at pvp, I've asked many different rogues..it seems to be the game w/ us being unbalanced. w/ PVE I find the rotations to be super long and every time I ask someone their rotation, it's always completely different...never the same and super long (raiders). With other classes and games I've played, that's never been an issue so that part of confusion is new to me...not sure what to do when it comes to that...on my server I don't see many rogues unless they're ranged....is there a guide or something simple for melee rogues or should I roll a new class?

I realize PVP is out of the question for this rogue on a serious level, but I'd like to try to salvage it for raiding if possible.

btw I did take 1.5yrs off from MMO's so that might be it also..

ty

Plane Touched

You should roll a new class.

Couple of things:

1. Macro all your abilities. It's a requirement in rift. I never macroed in games so you might not be used to it, but once you do you'll see an improvement.
    2. It's all about assassin and marksman. Decide if you want ranged or not. Nightblade has survivability tools and a healing debuff but... found it weaker.

Try 51 assassin -15 info - 0 mm for an assassin build. You can search the forums to find the build. For strategy - expose weakness in stealth and then out of stealth hit jagged strike.

Warriors - build to 5 combo points - impale - then slip away. Let your dots tick and follow the warrior around. If they try to drink to refresh their health then attack, otherwise let them bleed to about 40-50% health and then repeat for the kill.

Mages and Clerics - build to 5 combo points - impale - anathema. Chase then down and try to kill them before they kill you.

Rogues - easiest targets - if going against nightblades then keep attacking until they've burnt all their long cd survivability tools and then slip away. Wait for them to drop and then attack again.

Marksman strategy - Kite.. I don't play it often, use your range and be ready to try to get away after warriors charge. I haven't been playing it in pvp.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-09-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Prophet of Telara

You want PVE guides is what I'm reading.

Start with the sticky at the top. A lot are outdated but a start.

Dig through this section... there's some good builds complete with macros and rotations.

And ignore the *******es. We have more than our share here that think it's cool to be a smartass without posting anything helpful.

want a short rotation? try the 1 button hoko spec

want max dps? sabodancer is your friend (no it's not my guide, this one was better written and less advanced).
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
    I realize PVP is out of the question for this rogue on a serious level, but I'd like to try to salvage it for raiding if possible.
    Sigh. Rogues are not that horrible in PvP. You just have to learn your class and be smart.

The upcoming changes in 1.5 will give rogues more punch in the face and should allow most specs be PvP competitive.

As for PvE, Rogues relied on 2-3 specs for max dps which is bad. I'm sure everyone is tired of seeing Sabodancers running around (I personally hate the spec, but it does produce best numbers for the most part). 1.5 "should" fix that.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    You should roll a new class.
    I just read rogues are about to become OP so I'll stick it out :P (thats what he said)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    want a short rotation? try the 1 button hoko spec

want max dps? sabodancer is your friend (no it's not my guide, this one was better written and less advanced).
    Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot.. much more sound that what I've been reading.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
    I just read rogues are about to become OP so I'll stick it out :P (thats what he said)
    They won't be. The rest of the community just has to adjust. And either way eradicate will make other rogues who run those op builds useless.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Couple of things:

1. Macro all your abilities. It's a requirement in rift. I never macroed in games so you might not be used to it, but once you do you'll see an improvement.
    Yes, RIFT is a game where human error and skill are not needed. If you fail as a rogue, it's your macros. Just change them around so you don't have to think at all. Problem solved.

And with addons coming, it's going to get easier. Then you won't even be playing RIFT anymore. Just playing against third party applications.
    Last edited by Stormon; 09-11-2011 at 03:03 AM.
    When people say you suck. Just remember, they just have a better macro than you do, NOT that they play better. Ask them to share.

+ Reply to Thread