+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vera

Thread: Plaque T2R Tanking Gear: with redddiculous excel spreadsheet

Default Plaque T2R Tanking Gear: with redddiculous excel spreadsheet

Sup rogues (and warriors here to QQ about changes we get in 1.5)

I now have more than 50 GMoA to burn, and I have been looking at the tanking leather gear. Looking at the gear, and given how insanely slowly I am accruing marks, I wasn't really sure what to get. I decided to answer this by creating a spreadsheet.

Which is here:

Linky

I originally intended it to be a very simple couple of columns. This failed miserably, and it suffered from the worst excel-spreadsheet feature-creep I have ever been responsible for.

Explanation for people who cannot figure it out:

Firstly, the three tables from the top, on the left hand side, list the stats for the Plaque Gear (Epic, purchased for plaques), then Plaque Gear (Relic, Plaque Gear + Hexed item) and then the Dropped gear.

These three tables also show subtotals below for the individual attributes given by that particular set. Then, to the right, where it says "D. Total" and "P. Total" it shows the total Dodge and Parry given by that item. That is simply a formula that adds your Dex / Strength to the Dodge / Parry of that particular item. Makes comparing a bit easier.

Further below that, there are two "BiS" tables. Of course, what I consider BiS might differ from you. Needless to say, I adopted an emphasis on dodge to work this out. The first table includes only Epic Plaque gear - the one below that includes Relic Plaque gear as well. All colour coded for your convenience.

Below that, are another three tables, which give you side-by-side comparisons of the Dodge and Parry totals for the subsets listed above. You'll understand when you see.

For example, I can see that upgrading my chest piece from Plaque Epic to Plaque Relic will give me an extra 5 Parry, and 2 Dodge.

To the top right, there is a "Your Stats" section. This is a series of columns.

It starts off by listing the Plaque and Drop totals, side by side. Then there is a comparison column in green. It shows, for example, that the Plaque Epic gear gives 51 more Strength than Drop Gear, but 11 less endurance. These are for full sets of the gear.

Then there's a BiS column, which are the totals from the BiS Dodge Emphasis table below. And then comparisons. And then relic columns, with relic comparisons.

Honestly, it's not that complicated, but it's not particularly user friendly.

Finally, there's an armour table, but if you couldn't work out what that was, I would fear for your survival.

What I have concluded from this (the tl;dr bit)
    • Full Plaque Epic gear is NOT BiS. A lot of it is rubbish.
    • To get the best tanking gear before relics are available, you will want only 4 pieces of plaque gear
    • These are: Chest, Helmet, Shoulders and Belt
    • Relic upgrades are not universally worthwhile.
    • For example: The Relic Tanking boots still don't add dodge.
    • Even with BiS Dodge Emphasis tanking gear, you're still going to be a fair way off 20% without the boost from BD
    • There are quite a few pieces, both epic and relic, that are almost certainly not going to be worth spending plaques on. Assuming you can get 30 plaques for clearing the entirety of Hammerknell, you'll need to clear it 3 and a bit times alone just to get the Chest / Legs.
    • Start buying DPS gear

So far, with the lamentable changes Trion have made to Riftstalker in 1.5, it doesn't exactly look like we're going to be tanking anything soon. Until Trion tell us that we're not supposed to tank in HK, I will purchase tanking gear. I main spec as Bard, anyway, so it doesn't matter. Although I will rage-unsubscribe if they make Bard scale properly with gear, and then DON'T fix Riftstalker tanking, and I'm left with useless tanking gear and not able to Bard properly.

Finally, I can't vouch for the data in this spreadsheet. Obviously, I checked and double checked it, but it's late, and I may have messed up a formula somewhere. If I have, please let me know, or even fix and reupload. If I have missed anything (apart from, evidently, a social life), please also let me know.

<3

Oh, actually, that's not it. I'd like to say two things to Trion. In massive font.

1. We have 6 DPS souls. We don't need Riftstalker to make that 7.
    2. Stop. Giving. Us. So. Much. Parry. On. Our. Tanking. Gear. I'm not spending 50 Marks on boots with Parry. No one is when the drop has dodge.
    Last edited by Vera; 09-08-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Font wasn't massive enough

Rift Chaser

Nice sheet.

How was last night's Hammersmith run?

How was last night's Hammersmith run?
    Sicaron down, I get leather tanking legs, and from that point I just didn't care ;P

Soulwalker

Is it even possible to tank HK with Rogue?
    I got fcked by Murdantix and Matrone, and never tried Zilas^^

€dit: Btw, Nice one ^^ and i still dont understand how they can put Parry on Rogue-tank-gear -.-
    Last edited by ZaZi; 09-08-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Ascendant

Parry is avoidance as well... its just not as good. Hopefully Trion knows this and has given it about half the weighting as dodge (which is about what it's worth).
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Parry is avoidance as well... its just not as good. Hopefully Trion knows this and has given it about half the weighting as dodge (which is about what it's worth).
    I thought it was less than that? Somewhere between half and a third?

I have 652 Dodge, equalling 15.15%
    I have 311 Parry, equalling 5.03%

Looks like it's near-as-damnit a third as useful, but I may be missing something here ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    I thought it was less than that? Somewhere between half and a third?

I have 652 Dodge, equalling 15.15%
    I have 311 Parry, equalling 5.03%

Looks like it's near-as-damnit a third as useful, but I may be missing something here ;P
    Yes, I am missing something here, quite badly. Ignore. That's not a third at all

Soulwalker

I'm really not sure why everyone thinks parry is so bad..

I have, fully raid buffed, potted and self buffed, a little over 32% dodge and 13% parry which I'm gonna go ahead and say is more than enough. Furthermore, I have around 9600 armor and 16.5k health. I clearly have pieces of HK gear, and I just got my 2 piece synergy crystal bonus, but even before I got all this I still had little problem tanking thanks to the high amount of dodge/parry. In fact I can honestly say that out of all the bosses I've tanked within Hammerknell thus far (9 of the 11 bosses), only Estrode and Sicaron are flat out impossible to tank as a rogue. Estrode because purifiers are an impossibility right now in that fight, and Sicaron because our mitigation makes his breath near-instantly destroy our rift guard, then obliterate us. I also need to point out that the upper hammerknell bosses do significantly more magic damage, so we become a tad more useful (such as Inquisitor Garau, who does absolutely nothing but water damage).

In the end, I have to disagree with your "BiS" list, since I personally stack a mix of both dodge and parry and have tanked all the bosses, save the previously mentioned, with absolutely no trouble at all. We even do Zilas with me tanking and we only use 2-3 healers for that fight, one of which is chloro. If I had to recommend anything, I'd say either buy the boots, or save for another toughness piece as ARMOR is the most important thing coming from the new hammerknell gear right now. Going from full GSB/RoS T1 raid plaque gear, to what I have now I've gone from ~8100 armor to ~9600 armor which is roughly 7% more raw mitigation which is exactly what we need. Once I get the chest and gloves, I'll have over 10k armor in a raid and even Sicaron may become a possibility to tank, though not being able to dodge/parry his breath is still somewhat irksome.

Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    I'm really not sure why everyone thinks parry is so bad..

I have, fully raid buffed, potted and self buffed, a little over 32% dodge and 13% parry which I'm gonna go ahead and say is more than enough. Furthermore, I have around 9600 armor and 16.5k health. I clearly have pieces of HK gear, and I just got my 2 piece synergy crystal bonus, but even before I got all this I still had little problem tanking thanks to the high amount of dodge/parry. In fact I can honestly say that out of all the bosses I've tanked within Hammerknell thus far (9 of the 11 bosses), only Estrode and Sicaron are flat out impossible to tank as a rogue. Estrode because purifiers are an impossibility right now in that fight, and Sicaron because our mitigation makes his breath near-instantly destroy our rift guard, then obliterate us. I also need to point out that the upper hammerknell bosses do significantly more magic damage, so we become a tad more useful (such as Inquisitor Garau, who does absolutely nothing but water damage).

In the end, I have to disagree with your "BiS" list, since I personally stack a mix of both dodge and parry and have tanked all the bosses, save the previously mentioned, with absolutely no trouble at all. We even do Zilas with me tanking and we only use 2-3 healers for that fight, one of which is chloro. If I had to recommend anything, I'd say either buy the boots, or save for another toughness piece as ARMOR is the most important thing coming from the new hammerknell gear right now. Going from full GSB/RoS T1 raid plaque gear, to what I have now I've gone from ~8100 armor to ~9600 armor which is roughly 7% more raw mitigation which is exactly what we need. Once I get the chest and gloves, I'll have over 10k armor in a raid and even Sicaron may become a possibility to tank, though not being able to dodge/parry his breath is still somewhat irksome.
    This is all interesting, and quite good to hear that some rogue tanks are having positive experiences. Again, the problem with the BiS list is ultimately, yes, you trade Dodge for armour, which sure isn't really worth it.

But when you're only clearing 4 (+ Optimus) a week, you have to plan your plaque purchases carefully. Not to mention, your main tanks may simply get prio on the hexed items anyway. From the perspective of someone only getting 12-16 plaques a week, a lot of the gear looks a bit ill-thought out.

I think in any cases there are pieces that are less valuable than others. If I replaced my drop boots with the plaque boots, I'd lose two endurance, and replace my parry with dodge. That's clearly not worth it until I can get the relic boots for the extra armour.

Anyway, all that aside, it's really nice to hear someone is doing well at rogue tanking in Hammerknell. But with the clerics in my guild... I need MASSIVE increases to my physical mitigation ;P

+ Reply to Thread