+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogue tanks

Default Rogue tanks

Hello everyone, just curious is it me it within the last few major patch's do rogue tanks seem un-viable anymore?

Ive started to notice that even when im spamming planar strike every time, i can still be over aggro with all my finishers on. i take **** loads more damage than any other tank ( due to no block and poor armour).

Its kinda just starting to feel like rogue tanks are no longer worth gearing.

They seem to be increasing Riftstalker aggro, but unless they do something about damage mitigation you are quite right -- Rogue tanking is not viable.

Shield of Telara

I don't they are as bad off as a lot of people are complaining about... but I think they do need some love in the mitigation department. I think the 1.5 suggested changes are probably too much in the aggro department but they don't really address mitigation issues.

One of the main bosses that's stuck out for me is Greenscale... I have about 75 more life resist than our warrior tank(I'm at like 260ish) who just sits through the cleaves fairly easily with comparably HP and gear, and it is REALLY hard for me to live through while he just takes it. I'm mostly T3 tank gear with maybe 1-2 pieces of T2 tank gear and around 170 toughness. (12k HP)
    Snuggles - R40 Rogue : Snugglybear - R36 Mage
    <The Purge> - Seastone Server

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeV View Post
    I don't they are as bad off as a lot of people are complaining about...
    You haven't been to Hammerknell. We are.

yea ive just seen the following thread on it http://forums.riftgame.com/public-te...eedback-4.html

didnt even know they were making changes just that its felt broken since several major pacths ago. ive just gotten fed up with raiding with my guild, me and our other tank ( warroir) we pull at the same point but hell soon over aggro me on everything, and im basiclly just standing there to look pretty.

And if you ask me they need to completely rebuild the entire tree from the ground up. rogues only have one tank tree, so for starters they should remove everything to do with dps. but we all know that anyway, just they dont. ah well hopefully 1.5 will make it slightly better .

I don't they are as bad off as a lot of people are complaining about...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Yep...

From what we've seen on Zilas(for example), is that the cleric and warrior tanks take about 1000 damage(on average) from the 3 main attacks..... and our rogue tank takes about 3000 damage(on average) from the same attacks.

So yeah, damage mitigation needs some love for rogues.
    Retired from raiding

Soulwalker

Default mostly t3???

I don't they are as bad off as a lot of people are complaining about... but I think they do need some love in the mitigation department. I think the 1.5 suggested changes are probably too much in the aggro department but they don't really address mitigation issues.

One of the main bosses that's stuck out for me is Greenscale... I have about 75 more life resist than our warrior tank(I'm at like 260ish) who just sits through the cleaves fairly easily with comparably HP and gear, and it is REALLY hard for me to live through while he just takes it. I'm mostly T3 tank gear with maybe 1-2 pieces of T2 tank gear and around 170 toughness. (12k HP)

I'm 4/6 t3 and have almost 16k hp and 27% dodge (with 5% buff from Bladedancer)
    wth are u doing wrong....

people just make our class look bad that's y we cant tank ever and prove ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    RS dps is too low, RS dmg mit is too low, they are useless in HK for MT duty.

a warlord tank blocks 75% of time, mitigates max dmg AND contributes 2800dps to the raid with spotters order.

a rogue tank dodges 20% of the time, mitigates horrible melee and good spell dmg and contributes 300dps to the raid.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    RS dps is too low, RS dmg mit is too low, they are useless in HK for MT duty.

a warlord tank blocks 75% of time, mitigates max dmg AND contributes 2800dps to the raid with spotters order.

a rogue tank dodges 20% of the time, mitigates horrible melee and good spell dmg and contributes 300dps to the raid.
    I am amused that you wrote a post about the failings in Riftstalker tanking, and the first thing that came to your mind was "our DPS is too low". I'm really not trying to be a ****, there, I was just genuinely amused.

Because, you know, they could give us all the DPS / Support buffs in the world. Hell, they could give us a combat res with a 30 second cooldown, but that isn't going to make us any better at tanking in Hammerknell.

When your house is on fire, who do you call first? The fire brigade, or your insurance? Big picture first please, don't give Trion any ******ed ideas. Lord knows they have enough.

Shadowlander

I love tanking with my rogue. DMG mitigation doesn't seem to be that bad once you get all your stacks up, but thats just it. On trash runs etc... its hard at times to do that so I get spike dmg.

Another thing I do not like about Rogue tanking is our AoE aggro. I sure hope Trion does something soon to help us out. Its bad when your spamming macros and buttons and keep losing aggro to a healer or DPS.

I love tanking with my rogue.
    We all do, it's by far the most fun class to tank as. But we just aren't as good at it as warriors are. The further you progress in PvE content, the more apparent it becomes, and the gap widens.

Another thing I do not like about Rogue tanking is our AoE aggro. I sure hope Trion does something soon to help us out.
    You actually get used to it: you just need to plan ahead carefully with your pulls. And we are getting buffed for threat generation, both ST and AOE.

heres an example of the gap between a warrior and a rogue. both the same gear level. so we enter dh and start the frist boss. if my healers arent hot enough on heals i can get 2 shotted frist hit is the 8k cleave hit non crit, followed by a 3-4k normal hit. this is with rift guard, guarded steel, false blade, phantom blade all up. Yes ive managed to kill the boss with me tanking on my rogue, althou the healing is very hard for the healers. we switch it round so we are using a warrior. he doesn't go no where near death and therefore is easyier to heal. due to higher amour and blocks.

its like that in a 10 man raid, thats suppose to be a stepping stone from t2s to raiding. so i can only image what a rogue tank will be like in hk, and what i see is a dead raid almost all the time :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Skilgannon The Dammed View Post
    heres an example of the gap between a warrior and a rogue. both the same gear level. so we enter dh and start the frist boss. if my healers arent hot enough on heals i can get 2 shotted frist hit is the 8k cleave hit non crit, followed by a 3-4k normal hit. this is with rift guard, guarded steel, false blade, phantom blade all up. Yes ive managed to kill the boss with me tanking on my rogue, althou the healing is very hard for the healers. we switch it round so we are using a warrior. he doesn't go no where near death and therefore is easyier to heal. due to higher amour and blocks.

its like that in a 10 man raid, thats suppose to be a stepping stone from t2s to raiding. so i can only image what a rogue tank will be like in hk, and what i see is a dead raid almost all the time :P.
    While RS tanks do need love in the mitigation department, making **** up doesn't help.

You did not get hit by a non-crit cleave from the first boss of DH, with all tanking buffs up, for 8k. Just stop. You didn't.

Either you screwed up and let rift guard drop before his cleave, or you're under toughness cap and got crit.

You know who hits a rogue tank for 12k unmitigated (~8k w/ rift guard)? Jornaru does. The first boss of DH is a far cry from Jornaru.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    While RS tanks do need love in the mitigation department, making **** up doesn't help.

You did not get hit by a non-crit cleave from the first boss of DH, with all tanking buffs up, for 8k. Just stop. You didn't.

Either you screwed up and let rift guard drop before his cleave, or you're under toughness cap and got crit.

You know who hits a rogue tank for 12k unmitigated (~8k w/ rift guard)? Jornaru does. The first boss of DH is a far cry from Jornaru.
    Matron @ 30 stacks will hit you for 10k or more after all absorbs. Its sweeeeeeeet.

Yep...

From what we've seen on Zilas(for example), is that the cleric and warrior tanks take about 1000 damage(on average) from the 3 main attacks..... and our rogue tank takes about 3000 damage(on average) from the same attacks.

So yeah, damage mitigation needs some love for rogues.
    Those sound like Murdantix numbers. Zilas hits a lot hard than 1k/3k. It's more like 4k/7k.
    Split - Rogue Tank - Purge to Win
    GSB - 5/5 / RoS - 4/4 / HK - 11/11

Im nearly full stuff with some offset HK leather for tank, I only miss a ring and a neck, and the only use I found with this is to complete my wardrobe, so yeah, something is definitively wrong about RS

It's like those high ranked rogues saying that we were fine in PvP, while gankings lowbies, everybody is fine with endgame stuff, except RS with tanking
    Last edited by Kaoziun; 09-10-2011 at 04:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast