+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bard Thumb: Medical Complication of Strict Macro Policy

Default Bard Thumb: Medical Complication of Strict Macro Policy

The Problem:
    I have used a large trackball for gaming since before Doom. I have never had a problem with my hands after playing roughly 50 video games since 1994...until I got Bard Thumb yesterday from refreshing motifs and codas as a new 51 point Bard support rogue. I had leveled my rogue solo to 50 as Bard/Ranger/Nightblade hybrid; I had no hand issues, because I rarely used the motifs outside of mini-boss/elite fights. I had also done a ton of PvP as both Ranger/MM and Bard/Ranger without joint pain. However, when I bought a new role as PvE support Bard with 51 points in Bard for Verse of Joy and tried to do Realm of the Fae Tier 1, I developed an early version of what is known as "Gamekeeper Thumb" (injury/strain of thumb ulnar collateral ligament with pain in the 1st metacarpophalangeal joint). Yes, I am a clicker, and always have been; I don't see myself pushing 5 different keybinds for motifs + 2 for codas + cadence + finisher(s). I am very disappointed that I won't be able to continue as bard support with the current status of macros and short durations of motifs. Trion needs to do something both to diminish repetitive stress injury and to encourage more Bard support players to help with PvE...especially older players like myself (over age 45), who are more vulnerable to joint problems than you young whippersnappers.

Suggested Solutions:
    1) Allow us to macro the motifs. Yes, I know the counterargument: No one wants a one-button warrior like the old arcane mage ABABABABAM-ABABABABAM spam technique (I was one, back in the day). However, Trion should allow some critical, short-duration buffs (like motifs) to be made into castsequence macros, even if the community does not want offensive spell/ability castsequence macros (in order to diminish botting, etc.) OR
    2) New Bard Skill: Maestro. 51 point bard skill (can be added to root skills at 51 points) which allows instant casting of all the 5 useful offensive and defensive motifs (except the critter one) at once; refresh time remains 30 seconds. Yes, I would still be clicking once every 30 seconds to maintain 100% motif uptime, but not 5 times every 30 seconds OR
    3) New Bard Skill: Diva. 51 point bard skill which increases motif duration to 3 or 5 minutes; casting of individual motifs remains the same. I would really love this one. If you think about it, many of the static buffs last 1 hour; increasing motifs to 3 or 5 minutes should not be gamebreaking.

I have really grown to love my bard; it feels really good to prevent wipes with Riff/Virtuoso/Coda of Restoration spam; please do something to make playing this great soul less painful to the human body. Thanks Trion.

--
    Dreamquencher
    Last edited by Dreamquencher; 09-07-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamquencher View Post
    The Problem:
    I have used a large trackball for gaming since before Doom. I have never had a problem with my hands after playing roughly 50 video games since 1994...until I got Bard Thumb yesterday from refreshing motifs and codas as a new 51 point Bard support rogue. I had leveled my rogue solo to 50 as Bard/Ranger/Nightblade hybrid; I had no hand issues, because I rarely used the motifs outside of mini-boss/elite fights. I had also done a ton of PvP as both Ranger/MM and Bard/Ranger without joint pain. However, when I bought a new role as PvE support Bard with 51 points in Bard for Verse of Joy and tried to do Realm of the Fae Tier 1, I developed an early version of what is known as "Gamekeeper Thumb" (injury/strain of thumb ulnar collateral ligament with pain in the 1st metacarpophalangeal joint). Yes, I am a clicker, and always have been; I don't see myself pushing 5 different keybinds for motifs + 2 for codas + cadence + finisher(s). I am very disappointed that I won't be able to continue as bard support with the current status of macros and short durations of motifs. Trion needs to do something both to diminish repetitive stress injury and to encourage more Bard support players to help with PvE...especially older players like myself (over age 45), who are more vulnerable to joint problems than you young whippersnappers.

Suggested Solutions:
    1) Allow us to macro the motifs. Yes, I know the counterargument: No one wants a one-button warrior like the old arcane mage ABABABABAM-ABABABABAM spam technique (I was one, back in the day). However, Trion should allow some critical, short-duration buffs (like motifs) to be made into castsequence macros, even if the community does not want offensive spell/ability castsequence macros (in order to diminish botting, etc.) OR
    2) New Bard Skill: Maestro. 51 point bard skill (can be added to root skills at 51 points) which allows instant casting of all the 5 useful offensive and defensive motifs (except the critter one) at once; refresh time remains 30 seconds. Yes, I would still be clicking once every 30 seconds to maintain 100% motif uptime, but not 5 times every 30 seconds OR
    3) New Bard Skill: Diva. 51 point bard skill which increases motif duration to 3 or 5 minutes; casting of individual motifs remains the same. I would really love this one. If you think about it, many of the static buffs last 1 hour; increasing motifs to 3 or 5 minutes should not be gamebreaking.

I have really grown to love my bard; it feels really good to prevent wipes with Riff/Virtuoso/Coda of Restoration spam; please do something to make playing this great soul less painful to the human body. Thanks Trion.

--
    Dreamquencher
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4C3xS8wN3k

/thread
    Last edited by Swordfishy; 09-07-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Banned

This was a valiant attempt. Very original. I doubt it will work, but definitely a solid effort.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfishy View Post
    There is no way in he'll that guy plays a bard! I call hax! What did he develop? Bard corns?

If thoughts is superiority occur, consume a hot pocket infront of a mirror.MAITAIN eye contact!
    - C.E.O of mmorpgonpc -

I like the Maestro suggestion the best. Just set your Motifs up, then refresh any that are active at the time of casting "Maestro", 15 or 20 second cooldown.

Alternatively as you said, putting a 12 or 15 second cooldown on all the Motifs would allow them to be ordered into their own little macro, and you just line them up in the order you feel they'll be needed (My cast order is always, without fail; Tenacity, Regeneration, Grandeur, Bravery, Focus). This cast sequence would be no different if I hit one button versus hitting 5, and all 6 relevant buffs need to stay up anyway so there's no point in holding back on one (ergo, there's no intellectual selection or reservation of Motifs; you cast whatever you have, end of story).

Edit: The song I've always wanted to play as a Bard
    Last edited by Morvick; 09-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by snatchtastic View Post
    There is no way in he'll that guy plays a bard! I call hax! What did he develop? Bard corns?
    He developed bardthritis and his arms were forced to be amputated. He learned to play motifs using his toes though. What an inspiration
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Telaran

He developed bardthritis and his arms were forced to be amputated. He learned to play motifs using his toes though. What an inspiration
    Flawless execution on his 5 rotation thou Jim, you can see the passion in each of his callesed digits, the desire, the dire burning deep inside his fully flexed achillies... We should all admire him... God bless bards

If thoughts is superiority occur, consume a hot pocket infront of a mirror.MAITAIN eye contact!
    - C.E.O of mmorpgonpc -

Shadowlander

I would say that I need to go looking for a much taller chair if I'm gonna play Bard with my feet; however, I already have severe foot arthritis (bilateral hallux limitus) from wearing military corfams for 24 years. I am able to work and do Tai Chi; however, Tier 1s/2s and Raiding with my feet on the trackball would be another matter altogether.

In the end, there has to be a balance between preventing laziness/botting with one-button keybinds for every talent and repetitive stress injury from excessive clicking requirements (due to 30 second duration of motifs). Thanks to those of you who have made constructive comments on my suggestions.

--
    Dreamquencher

Shadowlander

dont know if this still works b/c of trions macro "fix"

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-complete.html

Quote Originally Posted by alcoholic666 View Post
    Read the 1st follow-up post to the above:

Quote Originally Posted by Nissassa
    I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say this is probably bannable. It may not be, but using a 3rd party program regardless of what it is surely is in breach of ToS/EULA etc
    There is no way I am going to take the risk of running a third party program in the background without Trion's explicit permission...especially given that there are currently zero add-ons approved for Rift on live.

Any other helpful suggestions?

--
    Dreamquencher

Quote Originally Posted by alcoholic666 View Post
    dont know if this still works b/c of trions macro "fix"

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-complete.html
    Specifically, explicitly broken by Trion.

--
    Dream

Being able to macro the motifs is a good thing. Hopefully Trion allows this somehow soonish.

Rift Disciple

OP is trolling because he claims bard is actually fun to play. HAH.

Also I can see Trion doing something extremely sarcastic like putting ONE of our motifs on a cooldown.

Bulletpoint will read "Bards can finally macro motifs!!" and they'll all just eat cake and drink and laugh.
    Last edited by Fonk; 09-07-2011 at 07:21 PM.

General of Telara

Lol you should have tried playing a bard in EQ, this is much easier on the hands, trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast