+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please explain the Saboteur role

Rift Master

Default Please explain the Saboteur role

I have problems and can't deal with certain souls (melee, healing, and tanking), so I play ranged characters - mainly mages, and in this game clerics. This allows me to stand way back and see everything, and have time to react to things happening in the game.

However, it's getting tiresome, so I read through all the different souls, and it looks like Saboteur might be somewhat of a ranged character. Am I misreading that? Or do you still have to melee while running around with explosives?

And what would be a good soul to pair Saboteur with if no melee is involved? I was looking at Riftstalker who uses his knowledge to shift in and out of the planes. Does that make sense?

If I'm totally wrong please tell me and I'll go back to my mage. I play for fun and to enjoy myself, so I'm not worried about top dps in a raid. As long as it's somewhat acceptable.

Thanks for any help.

R

Champion of Telara

Saboteur is both.

The best rogue spec right now is a combination of Saboteur and Bladedancer so its a melee one, something you dont want.

There is also the most noob friendly spec for rogues which is also a Saboteur but a Ranged one.

The spec you are looking for is:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...xkoR.0VMcxcb.M

Its basically stand at maximum range and throw your charges.

The only problem is that the rotation is quite boring:

For Single Target:

5 Spike Charges-->Detonate

5 Shrapnel Charges-->Detonate

For AoE:

5 Shrapnel-->Detonate

Or throw bombs around cause thats fun also , not effective but fun ;D

Do not overlap your Spike Charges, with Anthem of Fervor or Living Energy you have 1-2 seconds left before you have to refresh your Spike Charge, for that reason you throw two (or one, depending on time left) bombs.

Fragmentation Bomb and Time Bomb are your best choices since Annihilation Bomb will just cause them to pop also hence overlapping.

This isnt the top dps spec, but it should have you along with the Mages in a GsB/RoS progressing guild.
    Last edited by potis; 09-05-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    I have problems and can't deal with certain souls (melee, healing, and tanking), so I play ranged characters - mainly mages, and in this game clerics. This allows me to stand way back and see everything, and have time to react to things happening in the game.

However, it's getting tiresome, so I read through all the different souls, and it looks like Saboteur might be somewhat of a ranged character. Am I misreading that? Or do you still have to melee while running around with explosives?

And what would be a good soul to pair Saboteur with if no melee is involved? I was looking at Riftstalker who uses his knowledge to shift in and out of the planes. Does that make sense?

If I'm totally wrong please tell me and I'll go back to my mage. I play for fun and to enjoy myself, so I'm not worried about top dps in a raid. As long as it's somewhat acceptable.

Thanks for any help.

R
    The gold standard for pve dps right now is sab/assassin/bladedancer.

You can use it with ranged souls, but you will be doing roughly half the dps.

Sab, as it stands right now, is completely ******ed.

Champion

bladedancer is as much of the sab tree as... well near all of what Trion actually decided to put in sabeteur... deadly dance is a streight up 105% dmg buff to all of your charges in 2 sets at the cost of 13 points and a close combat finisher (that actually does pretty decent damage in and of itselft)

without it.. uhm.. pray Trion learns to balance trees in the immediate future??
    Last edited by garethh; 09-05-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Rift Master

Thanks all for your inputs.

Potis, I will try that, sounds interesting.

R

Rift Master

Default More questions regarding Sabo.

I'm really enjoying playing that role. It took me a while to figure out that explosive/bomb damage is connected to weapons damage - unless I drew the wrong conclusion.

And, while leveling, it's not always possible to kill a mob before it gets to you, so then I have to melee anyway, but that's ok, only one or two NPCs at most, and I'm controlling the fight so she starts auto attacking and then I select a melee ability if needed to finish the fight.

I noticed in the stats section, Dex and AP are the two stats of major importance to a Sabo. I currently have 32 Dex which translates into 16 AP, so a 50% conversion rate it seems. And I have 24 AP which provides a 2.4 damage boost of physical abilities - that would be a 10% rate. All this leads me to believe that I should select Dex over AP, if given the choice between the two stats. Is that correct?

I guess I need to carry a lot of pots lol. Kind of used to the mage/cleric roles where I was able to heal myself, which came in handy in dungeons/instances (helping out the healers - not saying they need help but it's nice for them to know that they can pay more attention to other players).

Thanks again for all the help.

R

Champion of Telara

I'm really enjoying playing that role. It took me a while to figure out that explosive/bomb damage is connected to weapons damage - unless I drew the wrong conclusion.

And, while leveling, it's not always possible to kill a mob before it gets to you, so then I have to melee anyway, but that's ok, only one or two NPCs at most, and I'm controlling the fight so she starts auto attacking and then I select a melee ability if needed to finish the fight.

I noticed in the stats section, Dex and AP are the two stats of major importance to a Sabo. I currently have 32 Dex which translates into 16 AP, so a 50% conversion rate it seems. And I have 24 AP which provides a 2.4 damage boost of physical abilities - that would be a 10% rate. All this leads me to believe that I should select Dex over AP, if given the choice between the two stats. Is that correct?

I guess I need to carry a lot of pots lol. Kind of used to the mage/cleric roles where I was able to heal myself, which came in handy in dungeons/instances (helping out the healers - not saying they need help but it's nice for them to know that they can pay more attention to other players).

R
    If you are talking about leveling then Saboteur isnt the best way to go, unless you are leveling with someone else.

If you are leveling with something that heals, Saboteur is awesome cause of his aoe, otherwise it kinda sucks.

The easiest rogue leveling spec is a melee one, or just use a Ranger variant that i cant be bothered explaining now.

Anyways you will find that after you take "Silent Setup", Saboteur leveling is easier because you can apply your charges while staying out of combat.

So its 5 Charges-->Detonate-->Dead mob.

If you want to level as Saboteur you want to go for Silent Setup instantly, or else Saboteur is much more terrible for leveling.

Also you dont want Ranger with it for leveling.

Basically your starting talents should look like this:

At level 20:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MTiM.xVMcV00o.M.0V

Also best way would be :

5 x Blast Charges-->Detonate

You do not want Ranger while leveling because it will cause you to auto-attack hence Silent Setup is useless, a leveling Saboteur is different than a faceroll level 50 one as my first post.
    Last edited by potis; 09-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Plane Touched

R
    Don't bother with potions. They are too expensive for what they do, at low levels. Keep plenty of water so you can regenerate between battles. If you want to be able to go from fight to fight to fight with very little downtime, get a few points into RiftStalker.

Something like this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpTN.Vcbh.VV0cM

The important part being the 13 points into Riftstalker. This gives you healing based on unused combo points. What this means is:

Let's say you're using shrapnel charge. You are fighting 3 monsters. You see that one of them is nearly dead, so you start using a melee ability to build combo points, which happen to kill it. If there were 3 unused combo points at the time it died, you are now healed 18% of your max health. Then, you do some more shrapnel charges until another monster is nearly dead. Repeat, and you can heal yourself full with ease.

If you use ranger, you can put a few points into it to get the razorbeast. At low levels, this can tank the monsters for you while holding a bit of aggro. Then you can use shrapnel charges from a distance and be less worried about healing.

I leveled most of the way through 50 using 13 pts into Riftstalker to heal myself. It works very well with saboteur and ranger, at least until your razorbeast is too low level to hold aggro (30ish). By then, you can figure out another way to level. It allows you to take 2,3,4 monsters at once, maximizing your rewards with minimal downtime. Fastest way to level.

The Saboteur role is there to get rogues into raids into a raid DPS slot, if they can manage to get a complex 5 button rotation that requires movement adjustment and melee range overlaps, instead of a warrior pressing 2 buttons.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Metallica11 View Post
    Don't bother with potions. They are too expensive for what they do, at low levels. Keep plenty of water so you can regenerate between battles. If you want to be able to go from fight to fight to fight with very little downtime, get a few points into RiftStalker.

Something like this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpTN.Vcbh.VV0cM

The important part being the 13 points into Riftstalker. This gives you healing based on unused combo points. What this means is:

Let's say you're using shrapnel charge. You are fighting 3 monsters. You see that one of them is nearly dead, so you start using a melee ability to build combo points, which happen to kill it. If there were 3 unused combo points at the time it died, you are now healed 18% of your max health. Then, you do some more shrapnel charges until another monster is nearly dead. Repeat, and you can heal yourself full with ease.

If you use ranger, you can put a few points into it to get the razorbeast. At low levels, this can tank the monsters for you while holding a bit of aggro. Then you can use shrapnel charges from a distance and be less worried about healing.

I leveled most of the way through 50 using 13 pts into Riftstalker to heal myself. It works very well with saboteur and ranger, at least until your razorbeast is too low level to hold aggro (30ish). By then, you can figure out another way to level. It allows you to take 2,3,4 monsters at once, maximizing your rewards with minimal downtime. Fastest way to level.
    That RS skill has terrible synergy with sab because your damage is completely tied to detonate, which uses all of your CPs. Unless you're killing the mob with a bleed or an autoattack, there's not going to be any points up on a dead mob with sab. If you're using a non-sab ability to kill things, then going deep sab is a bad plan since the best synergy it gets is from adhesive bomb, which is free. Better off just going BD/RS/RA.
    Last edited by Carthoris; 09-06-2011 at 07:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread