+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sab PvP

Default Sab PvP

I've been rolling round with a Sab off-soul for the dexterity - for use with my Sin spec.

But I just wondered, is Sab a viable main spec for PvP? When I'm getting chased by a Warrior, I tend to run the eff away lobbing charges at him, and generally - they hit for about 1000 hp (I'm in P3/4 gear) - and that's not specced for it. So I wondered if it's a good soul to run around with.

I'm having fun with Marksman at the moment, but I like to change my specs a lot and play different styles.

Rift Chaser

I would like to know as well.

AFAIK full sab spec is terrible for PvP as relying on traps to save you is a death wish.

I've seen some guys take geared players from 80% to dead in one shot though so I'm kinda curious.

I'm thinking something like sab/assassin/inf? Would be great damage but no surviveablility.

Rift Chaser

I just screwed around and made this spec. I'm heading to bed but I'm going to try it out sometime later today. Squishy as hell but you can really mess some people up if you time things right. A "Glass Cannon" so to speak.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0VMcx0b.xV0Vzo

Burst would be Time bomb > Shrapnel to 5 > Annihilation Bomb > Detonate

You time that right the time bomb will go off just as the bomb lands as you pop detonate. Bam, instant killl or pretty close to it.
    Last edited by Raitoken; 08-22-2011 at 01:15 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Raitoken View Post
    I just screwed around and made this spec. I'm heading to bed but I'm going to try it out sometime later today. Squishy as hell but you can really mess some people up if you time things right. A "Glass Cannon" so to speak.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0VMcx0b.xV0Vzo
    Burst would be Time bomb > Shrapnel to 5 > Annihilation Bomb > Detonate
    You time that right the time bomb will go off just as the bomb lands as you pop detonate. Bam, instant killl or pretty close to it.
    Why not usual sabodancer with points moved out of Silent setup and with speed boost? Not to forget about 15% bonus damage from Poison Potency.

The main problem is that warden(i believe) and one of the mage's souls can dispell all ur charges with no more than one click from themselves or 1 charge at a time from ur target.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawsnap View Post
    I've been rolling round with a Sab off-soul for the dexterity - for use with my Sin spec.

But I just wondered, is Sab a viable main spec for PvP? When I'm getting chased by a Warrior, I tend to run the eff away lobbing charges at him, and generally - they hit for about 1000 hp (I'm in P3/4 gear) - and that's not specced for it. So I wondered if it's a good soul to run around with.

I'm having fun with Marksman at the moment, but I like to change my specs a lot and play different styles.
    Depends what kind of PvP. 1v1/open world sab is horrible, but in a warfront it's really good for dishing out the AoE damage.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Thanks for the feedback guys, and that soul looks like it could work for me - I'm going to try out Sab PvP tonight.

Saboteur PvP sucks because:
    • Cabalist can do way way way more AOE damage
    • Cabalist AOE damage requires no setup and has superior burst moment
    • Warlock can do way way way more AOE damage
    • Warlock AOE damage requires almost no setup (no CD on ED), way way better survivability
    • Both Cabalist and Warlock AOE damage is spell damage. Spell damage is reduced only by Valor (Focus>Resistance) while Saboteur damage is reduced by both Valor and Armor.

What saboteur brings into the fight:
    • Choking Gas Bomb

So if you play saboteur you play him as support, certainly not for damage.
    Op@Sagespire -> Laizy@Whitefall ->
    Oooooooo@Whitefall (Rank 7, quit) & Ooooooo@Whitefall (Rank 8, quit)
    Note: CYRUS sucks!

Sabo *can* be useful, and *can* be played well. That said, all someone has to do is cleanse off your charges and you just wasted 10 seconds stacking charges on somebody, and have zero damage to show for it. Choking Gas Bomb and Adhesive Bomb are nice to have though. If you try it out, and you like it, and you find ways to make it useful, by all means have at it. It can't make you any more useless than everyone is already going to assume you are in a Warfront simply because you have a yellow name.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Sword of Telara

I actually have a lot of fun with my Sabo in pvp. Sure, it may not be the AOE of a cabalist or other classes's fun, but if your side is lacking some aoe and crowd control it is useful. And single target dps on it is deceptively good, this is because it all goes off in short order. I use 44sab/15inf/7NB. This gives me the sab detonate bleed and damage stuff, Anathema which I have set to go with detonate, and NB for the 15% damage boost to charges, and 9% to finishers. With the armor stripping charges (that do earth) you can help nuke down even rank 6+ warriors who are being beat on by a horde of folks like they are a god in platemail (note.. it is still small incriments of health going down on these monsters) but if they dont' have a pocket healer... with that and landmines you're golden. Sab is a perfectly fine pvp spec really. Heck, load a healer up with 4 blast and 1 concussion charge... and wait for their health to go down a bit and them to start casting. It's great to watch them panic when the rest of their health is either gone... or most is gone and their heal cast is interrupted and they bleed to death from the Detonate.

Sword of Telara

Ohh... and Focused Intent DOES proc with charges.

Rift Disciple

I think Sab is situationally viable, but to get good damage out of it you're pretty much locked into the PvE ranged 44 / 20 / 2 build, even for PvP. Its use is AoE burst damage where you're guaranteed to hit 3+ targets with shrapnel. There is little point in building your sab spec for survival, because if it's being played in the right situation you're hiding behind a raid anyway. It is a terrible idea for 1v1 or even any group situation where you need to occasionally hold your own 1v1.
    Last edited by Trephination; 08-22-2011 at 04:53 AM.
    Trephination [Rogue] | Somali [Mage] | Defiant @ Deepstrike | <Waiting on Diablo>

Rift Master

Saboteur meets Mage's full cleanse on a 10 second cooldown.

Poor Saboteur.

Plane Walker

In Port Scion Sab and do nasty nasty things.

Any other pvp not soo much. Decent had flag defending but to get 5 charges, then detonate in 1v1 your dead. Not saying it cant be done but its very hard and not worth it.

44 sab/x/x is what I played.

I did do fellblades + sab just not that effective over all solo and that was pre 1.4
    Good,Bad? I'm the one with the Gun.
    This is my BOOMSTICK
    Rank 40 Defiant Rogue 11/11HK
    Gaming Rig

Quote Originally Posted by SIbb View Post
    Saboteur PvP sucks because:
    • Cabalist can do way way way more AOE damage
    • Cabalist AOE damage requires no setup and has superior burst moment
    • Warlock can do way way way more AOE damage
    • Warlock AOE damage requires almost no setup (no CD on ED), way way better survivability
    • Both Cabalist and Warlock AOE damage is spell damage. Spell damage is reduced only by Valor (Focus>Resistance) while Saboteur damage is reduced by both Valor and Armor.

What saboteur brings into the fight:
    • Choking Gas Bomb

So if you play saboteur you play him as support, certainly not for damage.
    AoE silence
    Mines
    Spamable Stuns
    Strongest dot in the game
    Pretty sick aoe.

Sabos regularly pull 70+ killing blows... wake the *** up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Plane Walker

Sab really depends on situation/opponents.

In a map like Black Garden or Port Scion where people bunch up, it can do some decent damage.

It also seems to suffer more to high Valor. If your opponents are lower Valor, Sab AE damage will rock them something special. But once you start hitting higher Valor targets, builds with more single target burst become more effective as you can quickly down key opponents.

My personal high as a 44 Sab in Port Scion was about 1.4 million damage and 87 KB's (almost 2/3 of my teams kills). So yes, it definitely has its uses.
    ~ Cameela ~
    50 Rogue - Rank 40
    Officer of <Dark Horizon>
    GP 4/4 - DH 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - ID 4/8
    Byriel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast