+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Memory Capture/Flashback + Crystal Running

Soulwalker

Default Memory Capture/Flashback + Crystal Running

While running crystals as Riftstalker build in Whitefall and Port Scion, I became aware that memory capture will always cause me to drop the object I am carrying. I have some issues with this.

This is an ability that I have bought into. In order to do so, I had to sacrifice other abilities that would have their full listed effect in PvP situations for an ability with limited applications. It is a cooldown emergency proc. It requires advanced preparation and there is a time limit in which its use must be capitalized on or the prep was wasted. There is also no indication in the ability that it cannot be used while carrying, other 'ports allow carried objectives, and its use is not barred. If I use the ability, the objective is dropped for any pursuers to pick up, or it is simply returned to its spawn if I cannot reach it in time. Either way, the ability is still on cooldown and effectively wasted.

I can see the concern: You are chasing a rogue runner and they 'port out of range and/or line of sight. From that perspective, I understand the frustration. The concern is that the rogue is now immune to damage, or the damage done is essentially negated, and the rogue is now free to run the objective back successfully.

Let's look at those concerns. Immunity to damage for starters. Warriors can have an obscene amount of armor, effectively nullifying physical damage. With a VK spec, a warrior runner can use, as an emergency cooldown, Fusion of Flesh, becoming immune to energy damage, and healing all other damage when affected by energy. In effect, they are now immune to damage. The difference is that the warrior's immunity is not dependent on distance between targets. The rogue's is, and is therefore limited by the situational awareness or advance preparation of the opposing force. Alternately, Paladins may use Impassable Guard to similar effect, with only slightly more points required than a rogue must spend for MC/FB.

How about negating damage done? After all, when you can't finish off the rogue, it doesn't matter how much they have been hit before they turn in. Consider the warrior again. With limited spec into Paladin, a warrior has an instant full heal. Again, this is an emergency cooldown. The effect is the same though, as it essentially nullifies any damage already done to the runner as they attempt to return the objective. Better, possibly, as a 'ported rogue might still die from dots. Again, Fusion of Flesh will have the same effect of negating damage done if the warrior is being targeted by the only dps that matters to a plate wearer.

A further downside to MC/FB that warriors will not suffer with their emergency cooldowns is that the rogue must reach a certain point to activate theirs. Which means that the rogue can be hindered and killed before they are able to negate and nullify. A warrior runner can become immune or fully healed at any point on their return trip. And a warrior will not need to use these abilities for longer on their run because of their much higher mitigation.

And let's not get into the self heals brought into play by a cleric/chloro runner.

What I see as a balance issue could be solved in two ways:

1. Allow MC/FB to be used while carrying objectives. The limitations on it's use means that a rogue must have prepared in advance and will likely need support to make use of the ability in a timely fashion. The ability could be set to a shorter 'port distance to bring it in line with other abilities. Passing obstacles is intrinsic to the ability though, and should not be removed.

2. Create a "runner" debuff for all characters carrying PvP objectives which either a) prevent the use of emergency cooldown abilities that full heal, or generate immunity or high defense bonuses in the same way mounts are disabled, or b) allow their use, immediately dispelling lasting effects and preventing healing from those abilities while still activating the cooldown period.

Option "2a" actually seems like a decent route, as it would encourage a "bring him down" mentality and force teams to better support their runners. Option 1 would be the the easiest to implement. What say you Trion?

Plane Touched

I see your points, and most are valid. You spend 50% of the distance in a map trying to bring down that invincible chloro or warrior, so what's wrong with spending 50% of the distance in a map trying to CHASE down the riftstalker?

The problem is strategy. Flashback has so many exploitable properties based on the design of the map. I could grab a stone in scion and port instantly to the top of our ramp FROM INSIDE THE CHURCH. This isn't acceptable. There would be NO WAY to stop a RS. Your proposed changes would work....

But personally, I have use for flashback as it currently stands now and I would rather be limited to my other ports while carrying in order to keep FB as it is now. It has the same cooldown as my other ports, making it streamlined. It has to be set up in advance and only lasts 5 minutes, so I believe it NEEDS to have its long range and usability while stunned. It's a great ability as it stands - being able to port around with a stone would be obscene.

We had this in the beginning. It's just far too much. With a 50M blink I could TP out of the guardian base in whitefall and be at the 100% boost in mid before they have time to mount up.

I don't think anyone playing riftstalker in whitefall is in any kind of position to ask for buffs or nerfs to anyone, it's a build with only like 2 counters already, not including "go 3 man defense for 20 minutes".

(Gear)

Soulwalker

@Zarak
    Is that port out of the church to the ramp on the Defiant side? I run Guardian, and I have to be much closer to be in range of the church interior. And from what I pointed out about warrior mitigation and cleric/chloro self-heals, porting around with the stone is the only defense a solo RS runner has.
    I've found uses for FB too, but it just feels like a lamer version of the warrior procs. Yeah, I could jump out of combat as an emergency defense, but unlike the others, my defensive abilities take me out of the fight. I can't see it's applications on offense though, since in order to port to someone/something, you need to have been there within 5 minutes to MC. Maybe you could give me a few tips.

@Adnoz
    It feels like you and Zarak are overestimating what 50 meters is. If I FB from the stone in a base I can maybe hit the top of the ramp out of their base. If they are all needing to mount up at that point, they probably wiped in the middle and it doesn't even matter who the runner is with that kind of zone control. If they're in the middle, they only have to turn and track me down, at which point FB is useless unless I want to go back into their base, and I only have 2 non-combat ports to get away from them. I've seen warriors trail groups of people across the map without having to use their full-heal until past the center line. I've seen clerics do the same and heal through everything until their main force backs them up. So yeah, I think RS's have a cause to argue the uselessness of their emergency proc when its the only one that can't be used with the stone, and their only defense is 60 meters, 6 seconds of 120% run speed, and a prayer. 110 meters, 9 seconds, and ignoring terrain are a step in the right direction to balance out the classes.

And brand new, I noticed in Port Scion that High Elves can use their racial to jump the ramp near the church. Not sure if Bahmi can too. There's something that could use fixing. I fail to see how that utility measures up to a couple of non-combat only speed buffs or a fox form.

+ Reply to Thread